New Forum Members!

ttf_19Peter71

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_19Peter71 »

Quote from: Voraise on Sep 04, 2015, 05:17AMWell apparently I should have made my first post here introducing myself instead of asking about my sound hahaha.

Anyway, My name is Ethan. I play a King 3B Silver Sonic with a Mount Vernon NY 9 mouthpiece. On top of this I own a basic Yamaha baritone and a Dynasty 010-M571 Baritone as well. I own a few nameless woodwinds as well.

I used to play Tenor and Bari-sax in jazz band until switching to trombone due to my choice to stick to strictly brass for a few years to start to specialize. I recently transferred schools from a school focused on jazz to one focused on a more classical program. I have won a few local jazz competitions and have played at Jimmy Mak's jazz club in Portland a few times now.

At my new school I am working with the director to reform the jazz program so it's no longer considered a joke within the school.

So far I have crafted my sound by imitating Trombone Shorty but have recently started incorporating the 1960's vocal style of groups like Dion and the Belmonts and singers like Paul Anka, into my tone.

I enjoy listening to funk and soul as well as the 60's era of music, playing trombone. I'm really excited to acquiring more knowledge and understanding of music as a whole and to interact with the rest of the community here. Image
You connected yet with Dave Bones? He's one of the top jazz trombonists in the Portland area and a friend of mine. He might be a great resource for you. Welcome to the Trombone Forum, Ethan. Image
ttf_Voraise

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Voraise »

Quote from: 19Peter71 on Sep 04, 2015, 12:35PMYou connected yet with Dave Bones? He's one of the top jazz trombonists in the Portland area and a friend of mine. He might be a great resource for you. Welcome to the Trombone Forum, Ethan. Image
I know of Dave Bones but haven't really worked with anyone since Mr. Mazzio's visits to my old school.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi folks. I'm Lewis, and I enjoy mostly casual play of the trombone (never went to school for it though or even played in school bands). I own a King 606 with Benge 12C mouthpiece (got it on eBay for under $200). I really like playing any genre on the instrument.

23, college graduate. I live in Central Illinois where in my spare time I work as a photographer.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Greetings,
I played a good bit in high school and post high school back in the late 1970's, and then quite sporadically until about a year ago, when I carved off 20 yr of dust from my King 5B (Bach 5GB mouthpiece) and started playing with the local college non-auditioned band.  (I teach biology there)  This semester, the college trombone guy (Lloyd Roby) started giving me lessons and invited me to play with the low brass chamber group, and I've started playing with a nearby community orchestra.  It's been tremendously satisfying and good for my mental health, though I have less time to practice than I'd like.  My chops are starting to return - still hope to build my skills further.  Nonetheless, it's felt remarkably comfortable getting back into it - despite moments of frustration in practicing.

I've been a lurker on this forum for a bit, and I've appreciated the advice and perspectives.  Thanks to all!  I've felt encouraged, and the advice to seek a teacher on returning was especially helpful. 
ttf_Russjones16

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Russjones16 »

Hi all I just realized I have neglected to introduce myself. My name is Russell and I am a bass trombonist/tubist/vocalist who just graduated from Greensboro College. Music has been the driving force of my life for the past 10 going on 11 years. Music is all I've wanted to do since I started in 6th grade. I love to camp, and fish and love good conversation. It is a pleasure to meet you all.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey im Harrison.
I joined about a month ago. I joined to learn more about my instrument and other people that play it. Right now i am a Sophomore in high school, and hope be learning a lot on this forum.
i play trombone, baritone, tuba, french horn, and guitar.
ttf_BethanysBoy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BethanysBoy »

Hey im Harrison.
I joined about a month ago. I joined to learn more about my instrument and other people that play it. Right now i am a Sophomore in high school, and hope be learning a lot on this forum.
ttf_BethanysBoy

New Forum Members!

Hey im Harrison.
ttf_BethanysBoy

New Forum Members!

Hey im Harrison.
ttf_TriJim

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_TriJim »

Hi, my name is Jim and I have a trombone problem.  ...  "Hi Jim"

Played through High School, but life got in the way - returned to play this past summer after >40 years away from the Trombone. 

Interesting how things have changed since I has in HS - very few played F-attachment and usually only to extend lower range, finding more information and trombone music available.  I've changed too, no longer satisfied with poor tone - I'm now willing to invest the time and energy to play better.  Currently working my way back through Rubank Methods supplemented with Rochut and Fink's Guide to F-attachment.  Lessons with local retired Band Director/teacher.  Hope to play with the Community Band in January.  Looking forward to becoming part of the Trombone community and sharing experiences with this knowledgeable group. 

Jim Bruckart
ttf_Nanook

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: TriJim on Dec 03, 2015, 12:45PMHi, my name is Jim and I have a trombone problem.  ...  "Hi Jim"

Played through High School, but life got in the way - returned to play this past summer after >40 years away from the Trombone. 

Interesting how things have changed since I has in HS - very few played F-attachment and usually only to extend lower range, finding more information and trombone music available.  I've changed too, no longer satisfied with poor tone - I'm now willing to invest the time and energy to play better.  Currently working my way back through Rubank Methods supplemented with Rochut and Fink's Guide to F-attachment.  Lessons with local retired Band Director/teacher.  Hope to play with the Community Band in January.  Looking forward to becoming part of the Trombone community and sharing experiences with this knowledgeable group. 

Jim Bruckart

Hi Jim, a fellow Pa. boy here...I was in your same boots 1 year ago...I must say this forum has and continues to help me develope my playing...many of the publications/techniques suggested have been over the moon...enjoy the journey ....
ttf_TriJim

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_TriJim »

Quote from: Nanook on Dec 03, 2015, 01:20PMHi Jim, a fellow Pa. boy here...I was in your same boots 1 year ago...I must say this forum has and continues to help me develope my playing...many of the publications/techniques suggested have been over the moon...enjoy the journey ....

Thanks for the welcome.  Wife and I live in South Central PA - Chambersburg.  Lucky enough to see Christopher Bill, Penn State Trombones at their Fall Concert, Canadian Brass in Scranton, Army Band, and this past week the Nittany Trombones Christmas Concert.  Wish I could justify the 3-hour drive to see the Pittsburgh Trombones play before the Star Wars concert next week.
ttf_Ellrod

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Apr 02, 2004, 10:32AMPlease tell us about yourself, your instrument and your musical interests. And anything else! Image

Peter (aka Pete) Duggan from Kinlochleven in Scotland...

Trained as a recorder player including a year at Koninklijk Conservatorium, Den Haag, but now in my 27th year as a school music teacher and playing too many instruments to be good at them all! Currently still a beginner on the trombone, having become an accidental (but committed!) trombonist through getting myself a pBone to try, putting it away for a while, giving it another go and really taking to it, but finding that particular instrument so mechanically frustrating it's quickly been supplanted by a Yamaha 354.

For the interested, I've got a couple of recent posts on my blog (more typically about outdoor activities) summarising my multi-instrumental history and outlining my pBone frustrations, and might observe that trombone's virtually the only thing I play where I'm not inconvenienced by being one finger short of the normal ten! Have studied many posts and opinions on this forum before joining, and hope to continue doing so on a sensibly 'pianissimo' basis... to which I might just add (purely for the curious!) that I'm also a past member of the team producing SMF (which the forum uses), and wrote the help section for the version (SMF 1.1) it's currently running.
ttf_Steven

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: petestack on Jan 08, 2016, 09:06AM Currently still a beginner on the trombone, having become an accidental (but committed!) trombonist through getting myself a pBone to try, putting it away for a while, giving it another go and really taking to it, but finding that particular instrument so mechanically frustrating it's quickly been supplanted by a Yamaha 354.

Yeah, it's hard to enjoy playing when the instrument fights back.  The Yamaha should take care of you for a while.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello!

My name is Trenton Barnes. Im a Jazz studies and Trombone Performance double major at the University of North Texas. I love collecting horns and I have a soft spot for old horns.

Trenton
ttf_Quiros

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Quiros »

My name is Jeremy Quiros. I was a tenor trombonist throughout grade school and most of college, but right now I play the bass trombone with the Madison Community Band in Madison, AL.

I never owned my own horn until after I graduated college. The first horn I acquired was a Conn 88HCL from Thomas Hulten, the principal trombonist for the Houston Ballet, via Craigslist in 2012. Once I moved to Alabama and started playing with the MCB, I decided to try bass and purchased a used Olds P24G from the Horn Guys, which is a fine instrument.

Even though I have a career as a controls engineer, I can't stop playing the trombone. I enjoy it too much.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

After reading the well-written Terms Of Use, then the bio information on the Moderators and Directors, I am pleased to join this Forum. My name is Dennis Jones and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a 61-year-old retired physicist, but I still have a small lab in my home where I enjoy many science and engineering projects that interest me. During the Cold War ( the first one) I designed naval sonars for the Canadian Navy as a civilian Defence Scientist. Many of my inventions can be found in sea-going systems in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and other countries. They have been used in all oceans of the world for many military, industrial, and academic applications, and several can be found in the warehouses of the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa, Ontario. In 2000 I was elected a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America. I retired from the Canadian Public Service in 2012.

My music interests took off when my parents let me stay up late to watch the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. I started playing guitar when I was 13 and still do today. Over 25-years ago a friend of mine (soccer teammate) asked me to look after his Yamaha YEP-321 euphonium while he was moving to a new apartment. Never heard from him since. This Christmas past, as we dug out the decorations from the basement, there it was, a lonely, neglected, valve-seized brass beauty. My father, a Korean War vet and military marching band musician could play anything, often bringing home brass instruments for rehearsals. I don't know the first thing about brass instruments, but I had to have this euphonium repaired, which it was over the holiday. When I took possession of this refurbished instrument, I decided on a New Years resolution - to learn how to play it! I am now a student at the Maritime Conservatory for the Performing Arts in Halifax, Nova Scotia and have completed six lessons to date. I love this instrument and have taken it apart on several occasions to model the physics in detail (as if I needed another project in my lab).

So, although I am not a trombone player, I am enjoying this forum and look forward to meeting new e-friends.  Image
ttf_Nanook

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Nanook »

So, although I am not a trombone player, I am enjoying this forum and look forward to meeting new e-friends.  Image
[/quote]

Welcome aboard...I am a returning trombonist after 45 years and I have received a lot of good advice from this forum...good luck on your endeavor...
ttf_Helmholtzaphone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Helmholtzaphone »

Thank you.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Greetings! I'm Larry, just Larry; Not Lawrence or Laurent, but just Larry. That's just how my folks roll, I guess. Anyway, I'm primarily a trombone and euphonium player. Not a trombonist who plays euphonium or a euphonium player who plays trombone, but a euphonium and trombone player. I'm a utility brass player. I play instruments from the other families as well. I am also a classically trained singer (or rather in training). I am currently enrolled at Georgia State University: Perimeter College in the Atlanta area.

I'm a reentrant player. I started playing again about a year and half ago, but not seriously until about 3 or four months ago. I won't say how long I took off or how long ago I started playing. I was a pretty decent player. I made the Georgia All-State band five consecutive years (8th-12th grades). I majored in music at Mercer University in Macon, Georgia for about a year. I became burned out, transferred to a couple of different schools, and changed majors several times. I eventually dropped out and apprenticed as a chef. I met my domestic partner (baby-mama as they say) and we moved to her home town near Lansing, Michigan. She passed away (God rest her soul) three years ago. I suddenly found myself as a single dad with a career that is not conducive for raising a child alone. After much prayer, advice-seeking, and soul searching, I moved back to Georgia and returned to college. I decided to finish my education degree in music and mathematics (funding for the arts often gets cut first).

So, I am currently a voice major (I can feel the rolling of the eyes) and I am preparing for my formal audition to enter the applied trombone tract. So, I guess I'm technically a sophomore. I'm doing quite well in Theory and rather good in Aural Skills.

After I finish my associate degree, I will continue at Georgia State or transfer elsewhere to complete my Bachelor's degree. I might enroll in a Musical Instrument Repair & Construction program at a school in Red Wing, Minnesota, before continuing my degree (or try to find an apprenticeship). I plan to teach at the High School level for a couple of years, before I begin graduate school. I want to teach at the post-secondary/college level. I am also interested in church/sacred music.

Eleven months ago I married a beautiful soprano (I feel the rolling of the eyes again). She has a B.A. in music and is looking at earning a Master's in Library Science. She hopes to become a music librarian or at the very least do general library work. My son is now twelve. He started band this year. First, on trombone then he switched to euphonium. He had some coordination issues (he has Autism). I'm here to make friends, network, learn etc. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy discourse. Feel free to contact me via PM or email!.     
ttf_dj kennedy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
 my  buddy  ///dan truitt   
has been  trying to  be  admitted  as  a   Image :hi:NEW MEMBER   Image Image Image Image
  HE  HAS TRIED
  ID=sacstatetech 
repairman  in cali    the best   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=====
thnx
dj
ttf_dj kennedy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_JPTbone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_JPTbone »

I would like to finally introduce myself here to a fine group of folks. I am now retired and am also a full time care-taker for a wife who is ill. I am 71 years of age, and have been playing trombone since the 5th grade, except for about a 23 year break during a career in the US Navy. I was not a Navy musician, but rather worked in Naval Aviation, electronics and sensor and communications systems. After Navy retirement, I worked as a contractor for the Navy as a tactical communications engineer supporting P-3 Orion patrol aircraft in shore based computer, command and control facilities. While doing that 2nd career, I got back into the tenor, valve and bass trombones, playing with a few community bands and big bands, jazz/swing. I have now had to cut back somewhat due to wife’s deteriorating health.   

Trombone time-lines: In 5th grade, my family bought for my use a Conn 44H brass Vocabell trombone. I don’t know its vintage, suspect late 1940’s as there was no fancy engraving. It is a horn I let get away from me, and did not realize at the time (1969-ish) that it was a pro horn. It had been repaired and refinished as it had gone through HS football games and marching band (by this time the bell was badly dented and it was beat, but still wish I had it). About my senior year of high school, I acquired a used 48H Connstellation from the original high school owner (who needed an F-trigger horn for college and could not afford to keep the 48H). It also went through my last year of football games and marching band. We got it in 1962 and it is a 1957/1958 vintage Conn. Joined USN in 1963 and only played in basic training. In 1964 I acquired new a 7G valve section and case for the 48H. Great combination. In 1968, while still not active in music, I acquired new a Reynolds TO-01 Contempora double valve bass trombone! I had no need for the horn at the time, but thought it could come in useful later. In 1987, I joined a community band which only played in the summer, which led to a better one that played year around: The Bath Municipal Band, a concert band which also has a swing band. I play any parts in the concert band, 1st, 2nd or 3rd depending on what is needed at the time. Same for swing band, except that I almost always play bass/4th and use the bass trombone, which came to be very useful!! It sure was a learning curve on the bass!! My Comtempora bass is one of the good ones and plays great in all registers; 1967 vintage, no slide lock!! Per Elshaddai Edwards, it appears those received the slide locks in the early 1970s. As I have injured shoulders, I do use the Ergo-bone with the bass, at all times and have adapted quite well with it.

Sometime in the past fews years, time-frame escapes me, I acquired a Director trombone, which I consider a frankenbone. It is a director 14H slide, vintage 1969 with an 18H Coprion bell. Might have come from Conn that way, as the vintage looks the same, not refinished. The bell seems a very pinkish color compared to my Contempora and my Conn 10B Victor Coprion trumpet, which seems the color of the Reynolds bass and does not appear to be refinished, nor does the 18H seem refinished and I have heard refinished Coprion bells are usually darker. Acquired the trumpet, used, to try to learn to play it and enhance my embouchure, but lack much practice time on any of my horns.
So, musically, I am at a plateau and need either more practice or some lessons, but I am getting by and having a blast the way it goes now. I also found that I can use the 7G valve section with the 18H bell and that combo works well. I usually only use the valve bone for rehearsals and cross my legs and lay the valve section on my knee and support it with left hand on bottom 7G brace and work valves right hand, of course. Not better than playing slide; but sometimes fill in for lack of Euph players on valve bone as I don’t have a euphonium (yet). Perhaps some of this long thread should be in the instruments section. Also, I should note that the 18H has recently blended well with an Elkie 88H and a Bach 36. Same for the bass on the big band. I haven’t had a recent blow on the 48H as I have it loaned to a “brother” in the swing band as I am playing mostly on the bass. I would sincerely encourage anyone elderly to take up a bass, and use assistance with something like the Ergo-bone, especially if not in great physical condition. In high school, I also played a baritone horn in symphonic band and a Sousaphone in parades. I wonder how I did it as I seem to be out of air on the bass a lot of times!!
So, that’s my story for now.
Warm regards to a fine group of musicians,
JP T-Bone
Jan Paul “JP” Folkenroth, Auburn, Maine
Bath Municipal Concert Band and Bath Municipal Swing Band

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey there!
Introducing myself here as my first post. My name's Sam and live in Montreal, QC. I did bassbone in college before switching fields entirely to industrial design. When studying music I played symphonic, big band and quartet. Also played bass in a ska band, and tenor in a reggae one. Fun fun times that was! I now work full time in design and am looking to get more playing in the chops  Image

For trombone geeks like myself:
  • [li]Bach Strad 50B3G[/li][li]King 3B Silversonic 1973
    [/li][li]Yammy YSL-352
    [/li]
ttf_harrison.t.reed

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Welcome, Sam and Jan! You're among good company here -- lots of engineers as well as retirees and other professionals who are return players or who never gave up the hobby. There's a lot to read about on this forum,and quite a few posters who are at the top in their field. Being able to read what they think is what makes me keep coming to this website.
ttf_JPTbone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_JPTbone »

Thanks, Harrison. Yes, I have enjoyed this forum thus far. Picking up a lot of pointers. I played a big band gig last night on the Reynolds bass. My step-daughter recorded some of it as I had not heard the other side of our bone section in a long time. Blend was great!! Enjoyed the gig.

Regards, "JP" (the new one, not the other one)
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey, all!

I'm Frank. I live in Wyoming.  I've been lurking here for a few weeks now.  I played tenor trombone for about 10 years, from 5th grade until my second year of college, but gave it up when I switched to a Management / Computer Information Systems major (long story, but I can elaborate if anyone is really interested).  It has been 12 years since I played last.  I picked it up again a few weeks ago so that I could play with the community band this summer.

Short term goals:
  • [li]Get my playing ability back to where it was 12 years ago.  I'm hoping that it won't be too terribly difficult, as I rarely practiced and wasn't great technically or tonally. (Is tonally even a word?)[/li][li]Establish a good practice routine.[/li][li]Take private lessons[/li]
Long term goals:
  • [li]Find a large bore trombone and learn the F attachment (after my chops return).[/li][li]Learn things about the trombone (and music in general) that I should have learned and cared about when I was a Music Education major.... In retrospect, I was a really lousy student with a TON of growing up to do.[/li][li]Return to college with better playing abilities than when I left, and finish the degree that I started (ETA: 7 years, when I'm retired from the Army National Guard)[/li]
My equipment:
  • [li]Yamaha YSL-354[/li][li]Bach 12c Mouthpiece[/li]
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi Everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself.  I played trombone from 7th grade through High School, but College didn't offer much opportunity (but I also didn't make the choice to keep playing...) so I stopped playing.

I picked it up again just after college when I was performing.  Our performances were mostly crowd interaction/Unicycling/Balance related, but we had a bit where my partner and I played a duet on 6' unicycles (he played the trumpet).  I stopped that about 6 years ago and hadn't touched the horn since then.

Recently my brother-in-law and sister started a quintet and asked if I'd play trombone, so now I'm back at it!  It's been about two weeks so far, I play almost everyday and really enjoy it.  Hopefully I'll get back close to where I left off, but as long as I'm enjoying it that's what I really care about.

Currently I have a Holton Collegiate and I'm working to get my chops back so I can play the Bach 42T I used to play (both on 6 1/2AL). I also would really like to get a King 2b or 3b since I used to play a King Tempo (with 2b slide) in HS Jazz Band.  I'm trying to source that horn, mostly for sentimental value, but not sure I'll be able to find it.

Look forward to some discussions here!
Andrew
ttf_ronnies

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ronnies »

Hi,

I'm Ronnie and I'm a "returning" trombonist from Edinburgh in Scotland.

I started playing in primary six on some old small bore tenor trombones donated to our local primary school.  The teacher was from the brass band world so we were taught in transposing treble clef.  Switched to bass clef and another more up to date small bore trombone in secondary school and even made the Edinburgh Youth Orchestra one year.  Then played both tenor (Conn 88H) and bass (Conn 72H) in a brass band near Edinburgh for a few years until eventually giving up to pursue other interests in the 1990s.  There was a brief return to play bass at the end of the 90s with a double plug that I can't remember the name of.

My son Ian (7 years old) has started learning trumpet so after a 16 year (possibly more) break I've bought myself a bass to get back into it.  Initially playing along with him but may get back into joining some sort of ensemble soon.

The new instrument is a Chinese made Bb/F/Gb/D copy of the Yamaha YBL-613G.  I've seen it listed with different names including Bach in various places. Image

Anyway I'm here to relearn what I've probably forgotten and also what I probably never knew in the first place.

Ronnie
ttf_Nanook

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Nanook »

My son Ian (7 years old) has started learning trumpet so after a 16 year (possibly more) break I've bought myself a bass to get back into it.  Initially playing along with him but may get back into joining some sort of ensemble soon.

Ronnie

Welcome...there is a lot of good information here to help you on your journey...

Enjoy playing with your son....I take lessons with my 10 y/o granddaughter who also plays the trumpet...It is the highlight of my week...It's nice to be learning with them and not teaching them, it's not often they see us on equal footing struggling with them ...
ttf_ronnies

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ronnies »

Quote from: Nanook on Jul 19, 2016, 11:27AMEnjoy playing with your son....I take lessons with my 10 y/o granddaughter who also plays the trumpet...It is the highlight of my week...It's nice to be learning with them and not teaching them, it's not often they see us on equal footing struggling with them ...

Thanks!  It is indeed quite a feeling making music with your child !

Ronnie
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone! I'm new here... Pretty much, I'm a high school trombonist and the only trombone I own is a Bach 42B Strad that was abused by its previous owner  Image.
ttf_BGuttman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hi Kavel.

If your 42B needs any attention, there is a great repairman in Issaquah named Benn Hanssen.  He is on the Forum as Octavposaune.  He also may help with your teacher quest.
ttf_Kavel

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Kavel »

Thanks Bruce! My bone is fine now, all it took was a couple baths and a lot of snakes to fix it up. I'll check out Benn's profile.

Thanks,
Kavel
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone  Image

'Long time listener, first time caller' as they say in talk radio... Thought it was time to come out of the shadows and confront my enthusiasm head-on! Originally from New Zealand where I played Symphonic, big band and brass band, I stopped playing for a while when I moved to the UK but after a friend messaged me asking if I could help out in a brass band I picked it all up again.

In the last year or so I've decided the bug is here to stay so have been scrubbing up my technique, reintroducing some discipline and getting my chops back  Image Image Image

There's a lot of knowledge and experience here and I'm looking forward to seeing it all!

-Paul
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone,

I play the trombone since high school. First mainly self-taught (due to the way I got to the instrument), then with some solid classical lessons.
After school I was considering to study trombone at university, but turned to engineering anyway. Never gave up playing, though. Throughout university I played in a big band and a synphony orchestra, then I had a few less active years. Now I'm playing lead in a big band, a latin band and have several projects now and then. Lately I got talked into teaching trombone playing to some school children so I read a lot and also discovered this forum.

Thanks for all the good information and discussions I found here!

Regards from Finland,
 Imke
ttf_crazytrombonist505

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Hello everyone,
my name is Zach, and I'm in 9th grade. I LOVE to play trombone. I own/play three; a Getzen Eterna ii 725 tenor, a Conn 73h bass, and a Wessex alto. I play 1st chair in a high school band with the tenor, and have played periodically with the other two. I look forward to being a member of the forum, so I can learn more about trombones. Image
ttf_andyincov

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_andyincov »

Hi,

My name is Andy and I'm new to the forum and new to the trombone.  Had my first lesson yesterday and am learning scales and blowing notes along to blues songs (to see if I can).

I'm a bluegrass banjo player and have decided to learn the trombone purely for fun. 

I live in the UK
Cheers
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey everyone!  I'm Ryan, a trombonist from Ohio.  I've been playing on-and-off for over 20 years, and Have been in several bands, etc.

I'd found this forum while searching for more information about a Buccin (WANT!!), and had seen someone talking about them in the search results.  This looks like a pretty cool forum, and I hope to be around often.  I'll be talking with you all soon!
ttf_ISAB

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Hi I'm relatively new
My name is Anthony, you can call my Tony if u want idc
I have played for four years, started in fourth grade
And...yeah that's pretty much it Image
ttf_Rennaisongsman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Rennaisongsman »

Quote from: ISAB on Nov 30, 2016, 12:51PMHi I'm relatively new
My name is Anthony, you can call my Tony if u want idc
I have played for four years, started in fourth grade
And...yeah that's pretty much it Image

Welcome, Anthony!  Great that you got started in 4th (that doesn't happen that much anymore, I don't think).

I'm Kevin, from the Joplin, MO area.  I'm a musical "jack of all trades, master of none", I'm afraid.  No excellence but lots of fun...

I took up trombone in 5th grade (was already studying piano) and have played off/on for 40 years.  Highlights include principal trombone with the Southwest Baptist University Symphonic Wind Ensemble for two years in the 80's, touring the Midwest and playing at the CBDNA in Chicago in '87, and playing lead in the Jazz Ensemble there for about 2 years.

I taught public school music during the 90's in Missouri.  During that time I played (2nd?) trombone with the Ozark Festival Orchestra, in Monett.  I am now working in IT (for about 16 years).

My dad also played trombone, so when he moved to be near me a few years ago we both joined the Heartland Concert Band (Joplin/Carthage area).  I was able to play almost two full seasons before dad went into the hospital.  He died in 2012.

My wife & I homeschool our daughter, and have all re-joined the Heartland Band to help her learn the flute faster.

You all have already been quite helpful to me in re-introducing me to the manufacturer landscape.  I hope to learn from the posts here and hopefully not be as much of a troll as I've been in a lot of other forums ... Image
ttf_Bubblelord

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Bubblelord »

Hi, I'm a high school bass trombonist in Seattle. I play in the school's wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, and orchestra. I also do some combo stuff and play with a local youth orchestra. I'm hoping to get good enough to maybe major in music in college but who knows.
ttf_BGuttman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Welcome all.  I don't check this thread often so I owe quite a few welcomes (used to be RedHotMama was the Greeter).

If you haven't discovered it, the Beginners and Returning Trombonists has a lot of good stuff for you.  Practice Room tends to be more focused on individual problems.

The Search function on the Forum tends to be a little hokey, but using a Google Search with a /TromboneForum switch often will focus it into this Forum.  Sometimes I get a little testy when I get a pile of identical questions like "what kind of trombone should I buy" with no additional information.  Often there will be similar posts and you can find your information.

We have a lot of folks both professional and enthusiastic amateur who probably have worked through almost anything you may come up against.  Tap our collective knowledge.

ttf_Zandit75

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Hi everyone!
Just introducing myself from freezing cold Tasmania, way down Down Under!
I'm 42, Married, love long walks on the beach........with my dogs!! Image
After starting to play the trom in highschool way back in '87, I joined the local Brass Band and started improving dramatically.
I started on the Yamaha Student Tenor troms until I was given a brand new Besson Sovereign Bb/F in 1991 by the Band.
I stuck with the band until approx 2000 when I started loosing interest in playing the same stuff over and over again.
Throughout this time I competed in many State level solo comps, and was lucky enough to win several State championships.
I only had the opportunity to compete in one National Solo comp during this time, and I finished 6th, which I was extremely happy with.
Last year, my old Bandmaster passed away, and they held a memorial concert for all past and present members to participate in. There were over 60 players on stage ranging from 7-83 year olds! It was a massive sound with 9 Basses, and 8 Trom players, 3 of which were Bass Troms!
I continue playing with the band after the concert, and have been plugging away for last 12mths on the same old Besson Sovereign on the Bass Trom part.
This last week I have been upgraded to a S.E.Shires Bass Trom, and this will take some getting used to. The second trigger has me completely bamboozeled, and the lungs need some upgrades!
Anyway, thanks for having me on here, looks like I have some research to do!
ttf_BGuttman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Welcome! Image

A Shires double plug horn is a great instrument.  I saw an awful lot of them at the Australian, New Zealand, and European Brass Band Championships last spring (fall for you Image ).

The second trigger will make either Eb below the staff appear in 1st position or (more likely) D below the staff appear in 1st position.

With both triggers in play, the positions are even longer than you had with your F plug.  In fact, there are really only 5 on the slide.  With a Bb/F/D, low C is approximately in 4th position (on the un-valved horn) which I would call Double Valve 3 (there is a Double Valve 2 about halfway between that and 1st).  Go out a bit further to find double valve 4, and low B.

If you have an independent version, using the second valve only gives Gb and Db in 1st position with the 2nd valve alone.  I have found this to be very useful for two things:

1.  F in 1st is generally flat, and using the Gb attachment it can be shortened since it now is in 2nd.

2.  Some runs in sharp keys (in orchestra, mostly) do well with C# in a close position.

Alan Raph published a great method for double valve bass and might be a good purchase.  Once you have your feet wet you can get the Aharoni books on bass trombone.
ttf_Wasatch Oz

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Wasatch Oz »

I never did introduce myself and should.

Born in California I moved to Utah when I was young. Still live here now and love the outdoor opportunities Utah offers. I just wish that Californians would STOP moving to Utah, now.

I started playing trombone in Jr High. In High School I had some decent talent and thought that's all you needed. I was always in or near 1st chair and didn't have to work terribly hard to be there. I got a music performance scholarship to the University of Utah. That was the real eye-opener. There were _very_ good trombone players there and they all took it very seriously and practiced a lot. That wasn't me so I was middle of the pack and didn't care to work hard enough to change the fact that I would struggle financially playing a trombone professionally as a mid-level talent.

I ended my music performance degree but stayed in the marching band and pep bands at the University of Utah. I had so much fun playing in those. I was drum major my last two years in the U's marching band.

I also was in the Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle corps for 5 seasons. It's not trombone, so does't apply here, but shows you my commitment to marching music and interest in music entertainment. My last 2 season with Phantom Regiment I was one of the conductors as well.

After college, I played trombone in a local funk band make up mostly of high-school friends. To this day we are in a group that calls itself a half-dozen different names. We play original pirate music, have an Esquivel cover band, still play some funk, cover 80's new wave tunes with a horn section, have a disco band and a couple sets of original steam-punk stuff. We do a dozen or so shows a year, mostly during the Halloween season since we have some interesting costumes.

I'm also active playing in several community orchestras. It's just a blast to play and I will continue to do so until I can no longer lift my trombone.

My dad was a tool/mold maker so I grew up around an industrial machine shop. I enjoy building things and trombone repair has turned out to be a great deal of interest to me as well, although my dads health forced him to leave his shop and I no longer have access to a mill or lathe. I do what I can with hand tools for now.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi.  I'm Jim and I play trombone in the Saint John New Brunswick Canada Second Chance Band.   I played euphonium in Jr High and High School......over 40 years ago.   Really loving the chance to make music again and our conductor pushed me to try trombone .  I have a Jupiter slide and a Jupiter valve trombone.   In my band I am JBone but that user name is taken here! 

Happy to join this forum and read and learn.   I am considering switching to base trombone....any recommendations of what to buy? 
ttf_Diesel B

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Diesel B »

Hi all, Paul from Northern California.

Just bought my first trombone, a Holton Collegiate after coming from playing alto sax and bass guitar.

I played sax in elementary school. Fell in love with bass guitar and have played since high school.

I got a bug to pick up some kind of horn again. Thought about trying to get chops back up on sax again. But I guess tastes change and trombone seemed to be a natural fit, especially for being on the bass clef.  After reading so long on that scale I wanted to find something with a shorter learning curve.

I love big band, boogie woogie, bebop and the trombone gives me different side of that style. It's a fun instrument for sure.
ttf_Joe_Guarr

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Joe_Guarr »

Not new but I might as well be...

Haven't logged on in years! Joe from Michigan. Currently teaching MS and HS band, still playing the occasional gig when I can.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi my name's Josh and i play bass trombone with my school band in Louisiana and I'm working towards my own bas shorn but for now I'm using a school bach 50b3 from 1978, though I've been playing for a few years on tenor on a jupiter straight horn and then a getzen f attachment

Return to “Chit-Chat”