New Forum Members!

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey All
I am new to the forum. I own a bach 42bo trombone and currently have a schilke 51d gold plated mouthpiece and 52e gold plated mouthpiece. I used to be a pretty good young trombone player, took private lessons, Got an outstanding on my individual solo contest, was 1 st chair in my hs honors band as a fr and sophomore and made the all district band as a fr in high school. However, I had to give it up come my junior year of high school because I was also a varsity football player. Long story short I am not currently in a band as I am a college football player however after listening to some great Joe Alessi solos am eager to get back into it and where I left off. I am a placekicker entering my senior season of competition. If you have the time or want to check out some footage check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm0nLkBtqhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYrM-aLiaI

Trombone Players are talented!!
Look forward to hearing from ya'll
Trevor
ttf_BGuttman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Merging this with New Forum Members.  Please hang tight.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

G'day from a forum Newbie...
I'm Phil, AKA Joey and am actually just moving out of a full time gig. (14 years)
Thought that this would be a good place to talk bone with some like minded individuals.
Currently own a Getzen Bass and a Shires Bass (Getzen was too cheap to pass up), half of a Conn 88HCL (going to mate it to a Bach slide) and a King 3b.
Tried heaps of mouthpieces, settled on a Doug Yeo model, and a Bach 5GB, still on the fence for my small bore...

I have moved more into Bass playing over the last couple of years, but still enjoy playing in the odd Ska or Rock horn lineup.

Anyway - Hi, and hope to read and share some trombone experiences...

ttf_John the Theologian

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Hi fellow trombonists.  New member, first post.  Let me tell you a little about myself, as suggested.

I just recently started playing my trombone again after a lay off of a few years-- Conn 48h Connstellation, Marcinkiewicz 8H/6 1/2 AL mp.  I also play a Yamaha YEP 321 euphonium. I also use the Marc on my euph.

I served as a Presbyterian minister for many years (2 pastorates in the OPC and 1 in the PCA)and still do regular pulpit supply where we live in Eastern Iowa (Iowa City).  I also have a PhD in American church history and taught for over 20 years as an adjunct instructor in religion at Kirkwood Community College.  As you might guess I've done a fair number of various brass ensembles in church over the years.

I also played for a number of years in the Eastern Iowa Brass Band, a British style brass band and enjoyed it very much.  My first year was as a trombonist, but the majority of the time I played euphonium.  Time constraints don't currently allow me to play in the EIBB, but I miss it very much and still try to get to their concerts.  This April their hosting the Salvation Army Chicago Staff Band for a joint concert.  They've done this before and it's a wonderful experience.

Although I haven't studied privately for many years, I had the privilege of studying with Jaroslav Cimera while in Junior High and High School.  It was at the very end of his career, after he retired at Northwestern Univ where he taught so many fine low brass players.  I'm really not sure how our junior high band director convinced him to make the trip down to the south suburbs of Chicago from where he lived in Oak Park, but it was a wonderful experience to study with him. 

Most recently I was influenced in ensemble playing by George Krem.  George was a member of our church and the trombone instructor at the University of Iowa for many years.  At the time of his retirement he had rotator cuff problems in both arms requiring surgery and wasn't able to play at that particular time.  However, he acted as a coach of sorts to our church brass ensemble and helped us to gel together and learn to listen to our blend.  That was a very useful experience.

I enjoy a wide variety of music: classical, jazz (especially dixieland, small group swing and older style big bands such as the Basie Band, my personal favorite), brass ensembles as well as various brass soloists, as well as various styles of sacred music, bluegrass, some folk and even a lot of early rock and roll (Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison for example).  My wife just started to develop an interest in  acoustic blues, so maybe I'll add a new style.  Our son tried to interest me in Country, but so far the overwhelming majority I can do without.

I've probably told you too much about myself, but I look forward to learning more about trombone playing through the forum.  I've already read every posting that I could find on small bore Conns, especially the 48h.  However, I'm also interested in the 6h and other classic Conns.  My first horn was a 6h, vintage late 1950s-early 1960s and I had no idea just how good a horn I had.  Unfortunately, like most kids I was hard on my horn and it was pretty beat up when I traded it for my 48h in 1966.

Any way, I'll be reading and perhaps I can post something now and then.

John

[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

New member here! My name is Blake, and I'm not a trombone player.....yet. I'm a trumpet player by trade. I'm currently in the trumpet studio at Sam Houston State in Huntsville. My ultimate goal is to own a brass shop, and to me, knowing all things brass is on the top of my list of things to do. I won't be able to contribute much being a doubler but I hope to learn quite a bit while I'm here. I'm learning on a Conn 18H trombone, and currently using a 6 1/2Al but at the suggestion of another doubler, I'm picking up a Bach 12C.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi I am Kurt and I truly have burned my bottom lip and will no longer being able to play Image so I have a trombone that was my fathers and then mine, it is what I cut my chops on and I adore it, but I suspect that it is worth alot of money, perhaps you all can help me in identifying it? it is a Conn, Serial # on slide  325*** above that is stamped Artist Special. Above the slide is the matching serial number. There is a 4 stamped on the lead pipe and on the slide shaft. It as nickel trim and a 7" bell. The Engraving on it is nice no Naked ladies but nice scroll work. The instrument has no varnish on it( Don't tell a 5th grader to take there instrument home and give it a hot bath, I was so scared I was going to get into trouble, my dad laughed and said it would be easier to polish. The varnish was peeling anyway. I played in many band through jr high and high school, lots of Jazz and I keep my instrument clean and in good shape, a few mishaps we all have, shooting the slide and my jazz band director resulting in patch to the bottom of the slide tube, dropping the instrument on the tuning bend, patch there as well. I had the instrument aligned and gone over about 20 years ago and have had to troubles until I was severely burned in a accident last labor day. If any one has knowledge about how to ID this Conn I would greatly appreciate the help. oh there is a 90 on the tuning slide and on the bell side of the tuning slide, all numbers and letter are stamped in the nickle.
ttf_Cubes

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Cubes »

Quote from: DaTrump on Mar 11, 2013, 05:21PMNew member here! My name is Blake, and I'm not a trombone player.....yet. I'm a trumpet player by trade. I'm currently in the trumpet studio at Sam Houston State in Huntsville. My ultimate goal is to own a brass shop, and to me, knowing all things brass is on the top of my list of things to do. I won't be able to contribute much being a doubler but I hope to learn quite a bit while I'm here. I'm learning on a Conn 18H trombone, and currently using a 6 1/2Al but at the suggestion of another doubler, I'm picking up a Bach 12C.
Hey Blake! This is Matt Im the bass trombone in Jazz Lab who sits next to Alfred.

Interestingly enough thats pretty close to one of my goals, I want to own a shop and repair instruments or failing that repair instruments in a shop.

Ive been teaching myself the trumpet for a while.

Also either mouthpiece works

Nice to see you here  Image
ttf_PhilS

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_PhilS »

I posted my hello in the wrong place. Here's a slightly modified repost.

I'm picking up a horn after 20 years. I'm a lawyer.

I had a spotty but long term history before dropping out. I played high school band and pep band, took a couple of years off, played stage bands in college, and stage band, orchestra and symphonic band in law school. After law school I played in community orchestras for a while and took a jazz ensemble class at NYU. I took part in the 1994 brass fair at the Roosevelt Hotel, but then pretty much stopped when I married a professional musician.

Even at my best I was a pretty lazy student, but I did get some solid teaching from Ron Ricketts, then with the Minnesota Orchestra.

I'd like to start playing again. I think I need something to work toward. I'd like to study with someone who could help me get good playing habits and teach me the rudiments of jazz.

I kept one of my old horns (a Yamaha YSL-634II) and will start off with that.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been here a few months, but decided I should put something on this.
I'm currently a 10th year high school student. I play the trombone (duh) among others. I currently play in the jazz and classical programs at my school, as well as bassoon in the local Youth Orchestra, and bass clarinet in a neighboring community band.
I am currently planning to attend college for trombone performance and music education, and hope that my plans won't be altered.
I play on a Silversonic 3b and a Jupiter 536 for when I could use a slightly larger bore/trigger.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello. My name is Eli Maffit, or, to the only student I've ever had, Dr. Richard Cranium (PM me if you get it). Although I've admired this forum for some time, I have just recently joined. So, here I am in the section where I blabber on for a couple of lines about myself. Well, here goes nothing. I'm a student of or fine educational system in the Central Ohio area. Trombone is my dream and passion. I live and breathe it. I play bass trombone as my main instrument. The most recognizable en-devours for myself so far in music are as follows: helping my theory student get into college, playing trombone, bass trombone, and euphonium with a semi-pro orchestra, being able to play all five movements of Alec Wilder's "Sonata for Bass Trombone and Piano", and playing with a local, mostly adult, community band since the 8th grade. I can play all of the brass instruments, except french horn, proficiently, and I've had a number of people who have helped me in numerous ways make my way so far. My horns are a school owned Bach "Stradivarius" 50B bass trombone, a Jupiter student horn, a red pBone, and, probably the strangest horn for a young student, a Bach "Strad" 42B from 1967. It is an amazing horn, made in a place none other than Mount Vernon, New York. For tenor trombone, my mouthpiece equipment includes, from Bach: a 6 1/2AL, 5G, 4G, and 3G; from Conn: 12C. For bass trombone, my mouthpiece equipment is a Josef Klier 03BK, a Stork 1.5, a Kanstul "George Roberts", and I've been messing around with an original Yamaha "Douglas Yeo". Lastly, I will say that, first of all, I have never liked any Bach "Strad" trombone, tenor or bass, made in Elkhart, and, secondly, my favorite instrument so far is the Kanstul 1662 bass trombone with the "C" leadpipe, and my JK 03BK mouthpiece. I got to use one fro one of my mentors for a couple of months, and I loved it. Thanks for reading this obnoxiously long article about me.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello!

My name is Dan Phillips. I have been playing trombone for 13 years now. I have some collegiate music education under my belt but not a lot. However all of that is about to change. I have been accepted to the University of Arizona, the School of Music there, and the trombone studio which is under the instruction of Moises Paiewonsky. I play on an ancient Bach 42. And when I decide to venture into the jazz realm (very rare, unfortunately) I dabble on my old Conn 18h Director. I have also been playing bass for the same amount of time. My musical tastes have very few limits or walls. Classical, jazz, rock, country, and even a little rap every now and again. Nothing's off the table. My favorite composer is Aaron Copland. I am very excited about pursuing a career in music and I can't wait to be playing more regularly. I am also looking forward to being a part of this community of like minded instrumentalists.
ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Hello and welcome to all new forum members! Image

Looking forward to seeing your contributions, either serious or trivial. Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello all!

My name is Bryan and I play tuba. I was a member of the tuba forum but the discussions became hateful and such, have considered taking up bass trombone for fun. You guys seem nice and are not wanting to kill anyone, so you seem like a good group of guys to talk music to!

I am involved in the field of science research. Nice meeting you all and I am so happy to be a member.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone!  My name is Aaron Small and I have been playing Trombone since the 8th grade.  I only started to get serious about trombone my junior year, and I am now in my senior year of high school.  My first teacher was Richard Townes, a graduate of Indiana University, and my current teacher is Bryan Bourne with the President's Own, who also attended Indiana University. I am very excited to be also be going to Indiana University next year, where I will be studying performance with professor Carl Lenthe!  I play on a Getzen 3047 AFR and I am almost constantly trying new mouthpieces in order to find the one that fits me best; currently it is a Warburton 4GDL.  Other than trombone/brass heavy works(Mahler/Shostakovich/Berlioz/Wagner), I enjoy listening to works for solo piano, especially Chopin, in addition to Cello feature pieces.  It's good to meet all of you!   Image
ttf_swtrombone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_swtrombone »

Hi,everyone. My name is Stefan Wiebe, and I am a freshman in high school. I've visited this forum a lot for advice from what's already here, so I know the use and wanted to make a username for myself. I started playing trombone in fourth grade with a little Conn Director student horn, and since then have acquired two more trombones to my small collection. I have a Benge 190f open wrap that I got a year and a half ago that, after playing it for a decent amount of time, I have gotten to like a great deal. I play it with a Benge Marcellus mouthpiece that fits well with the horn. I also have recently bought a late 70's silver plated King Liberty 2b. Although its not the whole H N White deal, I like it a lot and my private teacher is starting to get jealous of it. I hope to go to college for music and make it my career. I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi! I'm French, I play bari sax and I'm about to buy a trombone to give it a try because I've always loved it...
Happy to be here, hoping to learn lots of things. I also hope you'll forgive me for being a woodwind player Image
Off to the beginners' section, now.
ttf_BGuttman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Welcome! Image

You'll find the trombone fun.  I used to love getting on the Bari's case by playing lower than he could on my bass trombone (after all, you are limited to the Low A, which translates to our Low C; and we have nearly another octave down at our disposal).

You will be in good company.  I remember seeing the Akioshi-Tabackin Big Band and the Bari player pulled out an old Eb alto valve trombone (they were mostly used in the late 1800s and early 1900s) and blow a solo on it.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello... It seems as though I've neglected introducing myself.. My name is Marcos Cuellar and I am a freshman in high school. I began playing trombone in 6th grade and I discovered this magical forum last year and finally deciding to join this year. I live in a small border city in Texas just next to Mexico so I am quite fluent in spanish..i play ona Bach 42B and a King 4G mouthpiece.. That's all.. Thank you Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm John Handshoe. I'm about to start my masters in bass trombone performance at Morehead State University. I just finished my Bachelor of Music Education degree from MSU, with an emphasis on Euphonium. I decided to do something different, so here I am. On euphonium, I played in the KMEA Intercollegiate Band for three years (principal euphonium for two of the three), the MSU Symphony Band (Principal euphonium for three years), and the MSU Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble. On trombone, I've played with the MSU Orchestra, the MSU Jazz I Ensemble, the MSU Bone Choir, and the KMEA Intercollegiate Orchestra.

So yeah, that's me.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi! I'm Nick Kemp, a current high school senior about to enter my freshman year of college at Northwestern. Excited to get to know such a great studio with such great professors - if any current or future members of the studio see this, feel free to hit me up! I play a Shires Custom 7C with a Trubore valve and a TW47 slide on a Schilke Symphony mouthpiece. I play mostly in orchestras, but also in a great brass ensemble and high school band. I currently study with Barry Hearn, Assistant Principal of the National Symphony Orchestra. Hoping to land a paying gig someday.
ttf_hurry

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_hurry »

Hi! BariSax,

I play baritone saxophone too as well as bassoon!

hurry in Tokyo

[/quote]Quote from: BariSax on May 11, 2013, 06:13AMHi! I'm French, I play bari sax and I'm about to buy a trombone to give it a try because I've always loved it...
Happy to be here, hoping to learn lots of things. I also hope you'll forgive me for being a woodwind player Image
Off to the beginners' section, now.

ttf_dj kennedy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

sounds like  a  4h//////artist special  --the artist  special is  a jazzed up  485  bore  [4h]  --325     --  1947

Quote from: kurtedsonburnedlip on Mar 21, 2013, 01:50PMHi I am Kurt and I truly have burned my bottom lip and will no longer being able to play Image so I have a trombone that was my fathers and then mine, it is what I cut my chops on and I adore it, but I suspect that it is worth alot of money, perhaps you all can help me in identifying it? it is a Conn, Serial # on slide  325*** above that is stamped Artist Special. Above the slide is the matching serial number. There is a 4 stamped on the lead pipe and on the slide shaft. It as nickel trim and a 7" bell. The Engraving on it is nice no Naked ladies but nice scroll work. The instrument has no varnish on it( Don't tell a 5th grader to take there instrument home and give it a hot bath, I was so scared I was going to get into trouble, my dad laughed and said it would be easier to polish. The varnish was peeling anyway. I played in many band through jr high and high school, lots of Jazz and I keep my instrument clean and in good shape, a few mishaps we all have, shooting the slide and my jazz band director resulting in patch to the bottom of the slide tube, dropping the instrument on the tuning bend, patch there as well. I had the instrument aligned and gone over about 20 years ago and have had to troubles until I was severely burned in a accident last labor day. If any one has knowledge about how to ID this Conn I would greatly appreciate the help. oh there is a 90 on the tuning slide and on the bell side of the tuning slide, all numbers and letter are stamped in the nickle.

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image Hi my Name is Elias, i live i Sweden.
I have played trombone for...you know what? I have actually lost count.
I am 18 years old so i guess the I have been playing for nearly a decade.
I currently attend: Södra Latin Gymnasieskola with a goal to become a musician.
my trombones currently are: 1 worn out but still going strong Conn 88H and an absolutely fantastic King 2B+, I am also thinking about getting a valve trombone for those jazz solos (tired of letting trumpet and sax have all the hi-tempo fun).
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My name is Jonah.  I am truly honored to have just joined the trombone forum!  I'm an upcoming senior in high school and I play a Yamaha YBL 830 Xeno bass trombone that my school had recently bought and coincidentally I have been looking into buying myself.  I've been playing the trombone since the 4th grade and fell in love with the bass trombone when I played my band director's horn for my high school's performance of Beauty and the Beast when I was in 9th grade.  I currently play bass trombone for a youth brass band and orchestra and have participated in numerous other opportunities that I have found.  I also hope to continue my musical experience into college.
ttf_K.Trinh4213

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_K.Trinh4213 »

I've been around for a year, some of the forum members may know me from my occasional questions and comments. Image

My name's Khoa, about to head into college(gulp!) at Lebanon Valley College in PA (music performance, and music education, if anyone's interested Image ). Tenor trombonist, looking to get into bass (I just LOVE that sound). Anyone in the central PA area willing to let me give their horn a blow? Image

I started out playing baritone in 4th grade, played until 7th grade when I quit for a while (I'm SOOO sorry), came back the next year. Played euphonium freshman year of high school for half the year. Then the school musical (Beauty and the Beast) came around and I learned bone just in time to play in the pit, and I've loved trombone ever since. It's just so fun! I still pick up the euphonium every now and then, and now I'm also an amateur cornet player (cornetist?) at my church.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey all...

I have recently picked up a horn again after being away from it for 15 years. I was on a scholarship at Stephen F. Austin University in Texas when I decided to join the military. I sold my horns and went off to flight school.

Last year I began missing music and talked to the warden (wife) about getting a horn to play on. Money wasn't right and I couldn't justify buying a horn to "test" my ability to make a comeback. Fast forward to Feb. 2013.

My church's orchestra director found out I used to play and ask if I would like to join them on the next rehearsal. He lent me the church's beginner Yamaha and off I went. After familiarizing myself with reading music again, I was offered another horn to borrow. It was an Olds with an F attachment...and then I was offered another to borrow, a King with an F attachment. Fast forward again to June 30, 2013...we just completed our patriotic weekend performances.

I am really enjoying myself, but I believe God is calling me to step up my game...I have been ask to teach at the School of Performing Arts at my church. I am nervous, but at the same time I am thankful that I have been able to regain my ability and in some cases, exceed my previous abilities. I am currently on the lookout for a new (or new to me) horn that I can call my own.

Steve
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I probably should have done this sooner...seeing as I've made a few posts already, however, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to reflect on my own accomplishments as well as see others.

My actually name is Jeff,

I graduated high school this year, 2013, and will be headed up to Boston University this fall.  I began playing tenor trombone in 4th grade and barely managed to stick through it.  It wasn't until 9th grade that I really made improvement and started to get into it.  I eventually upgraded from a student horn to a Bach 42BO, which helped me drastically improve my playing.  I joined a youth orchestra, the Philadelphia Young Artists Orchestra in 11th grade, which isn't much of an accomplishment, reflecting on that now, but it certainly got me to take my playing more seriously.  I think my biggest accomplishment with that orchestra was Schumann's second symphony.

In May of 2012 I officially, permanents, and exclusively switched to bass trombone, and upgrading to a Getzen 3062AF.  It's an absolute quality horn, but frankly all that was affordable.  That summer of 2012 I had the pleasure of touring Europe with the American Music Abroad program (the silver tour actually).  We went to Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and Switzerland.  I will never forget that trip, it was life-changing. 

In the spring or fall of 2012 I auditioned for the Philadelphia Youth Ochestra and was successful in getting in on bass trombone!  That was the high lit of my musical career so far.  We played pieces this season that included Bolero, Schumann's third symphony, Bruckner 4, and to top it all off, Mahler's second symphony (plus a few others Image.  The experiences there were life changing and extremely valuable.  Thanks to that youth orchestra, my skill level increased, I learned more excerpts, and I was presented with the opportunity to study with Blair Bollinger of the Philadelphia Orchestra privately.  Studying with Mr. Bollinger was huge for me, and my playing skyrocketed for a time, however my lessons had very high peaks, but once or twice I had a few deep valleys, so to speak.  Either way, I couldn't be more thankful to all the knowledge he, and all my other teachers prior, have imparted. 

The youth orchestra season ended in early June, and my lessons with Mr. Bollinger ended a month or so before, due to conflicting schedules.  Still, I was lucky to have 8 months with him.  Now, it's the summer of 2013 and I hang out with friends, read up on the trombone forum, practice more than I ever have in my life, and hang out with the family.  I also put some extra cash in my pocket by giving middle-school trombonists lessons and cutting grass.  It's amazing how much better the teachers playing improves ehen you teach kids...everything you say you must do, so you can't be a hypocrite and demonstrate improper playing.  I use all the knowledge from my lessons in the most appropriate ways to help the kids improve...and seeing them progress is very very satisfying. 

I haven't had many gigs because I haven't been able to get my name out very well, although I wish I had so more to do over the summer.  I'm helping out with a trombone octet of middle schoolers with one of my old teachers, he needed a bass and his students play at a pretty high level, so it's fun. 

The summer has also given me a lot of time to think about the future.  I wonder where trombone might take me and what the fruit of my labor will be.  I'm not going to school for trombone...I'm undeclared right now, but moving toward an engineering major of some type.  I love to play and I probably love equipment even more sometimes, but I don't know if I can truly envision myself being a performance major or technician, just for the fear that the income wouldn't be sufficient for the lifestyle that I want to live in the future.  However, I fear that I won't be able to stop myself from pursing my dreams and end up playing gigs and putting my name on an instrument or two...  And there certainly isn't any good reason that I couldn't do both on the side. 

In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun, I'm excited for college, and I look forward to sorting things out. 

And that's about it.  I might be able to scrounge up more stuff about myself, but I'm not going to.  I could talk the balls off a Christmas Tree.  That being said, if you ever see me doing something that catches your eye on the forum, PM me, I'd love to talk.  I've acquired too much information for someone my age, and I have an insatiable appetite for more!  And thanks, TTF for all the stuff I have learned and seen in just the few days that I've been a member. 

I didn't check this post for typos.......   Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

:hi:OK, i guess to start this off, Hi my name is Mikayla. I'm currently entering in my third year of high school at the Sultan High School(In Washington). It's a fairly small school, it's barely a 2A(all schools sizes are determined by As, 1A is tiny, 2A is small, 3A-5A are big). The sport department sucks, but Music department wins 1st place,or close to, trophies every year; and that makes all of us "band geeks" the most popular group in the school and that about a 1/3 of the entire school population is in it. Anyways, I'm in the band, hopefully soon to be again in jazz band, the choir, hopefully I make show choir this year(the choir that sings well known music from whatever genre/decade that is related to the theme  and dance simultaneously, it's also our honor choir Image), I'm in the marchingband, and I hope to land a role in the school musical. For marchingband, I hope I become Drum Major my senior year. If you don't know what a Drum Major is, it's the people who lead/conduct the band; it's also the highest rank (as I like to put it) in the marchingband that anyone going into their senior year can receive. I play the trombone and I no idea what kind of trombone it is Image.I own 2 trombones, one actually belongs to my brother but he thinks he may not pick it up again, so I'm holding on to it for now. And the other one belonged to my deceased grandfather who passed away in 1975, so I have no idea how old it is but it is in great shape. For marchingband, I was switched to the marching trombone(or baritone)because my music teacher needed more of them and she thought that I was a strong horn player for it. I think this is enough about me. If want to become my friend and want know more then reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can.  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey! My name is John David, and I am a senior in high school. I am a 2 time Texas All State Trombone player, hopefully 3 it will be 3 years later this year! I am looking forward to pursuing trombone performance and music education as dual majors in college. I come from a small town, but it is very supportive of the band which is 250 strong. I hope that some of y'all will offer guidance as I ask your opinion on colleges and stuff later because I know I will need all the help I can get!
ttf_MajesticGent

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_MajesticGent »

Oh my I just found this link and never properly introduced myself. 

I am MajesticGent, but my government name is Jason Heard. I'm in the Atlanta, GA metro area, I'm a programmer by profession.  I played trombone from 6th grade - 12th and then put it down, and decided to pick it up in July of this year (2013).  I love music, and I regret that I stopped playing my trombone as much, but I still try to dabble in it when time permits. 

I would love to arrange music, play in gigs with other wind instruments, or just in general. I may go to classic route again; time permitting. 

Nice meeting you all.  Look forward to conversing with you all!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My name is Brad Lord, and I am a trombonist and composer in the Houston area.  I have a degree in trombone performance from Texas Tech, and I am currently employed in the oil/gas industry.  I am looking for opportunities to play in Houston, suggestions?
ttf_Hammer

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Hammer »

Oh hey, I just found this link, so I guess...HELLO! My name's Christian Giunta, and nickname really is Hammer (couldn't believe that username wasn't already taken by the time I registered on this forum). I'm 23, graduated last year with my Bachelor's of Music from SUNY Fredonia, and majored in music education, with a jazz concentration (kind of like a minor). I'm really a tenor player, but now that I picked up a bass bone for doubling up, I'm dabbling in the bass bone world (interesting dimension). I gig around the Hudson Valley in New York wherever I can, working a million weird part time jobs, and being a substitute teacher, all in hopes that my band teacher career will take off soon so I can work 1 main job that I love. I'm only a year out of college, and I'm REALLY patient, so I'll just keep applying EVERYWHERE.
ttf_Steven

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Hammer on Aug 26, 2013, 04:12PM I gig around the Hudson Valley in New York wherever I can, working a million weird part time jobs, and being a substitute teacher, all in hopes that my band teacher career will take off soon so I can work 1 main job that I love. I'm only a year out of college, and I'm REALLY patient, so I'll just keep applying EVERYWHERE.

Yeah, the job market for new teachers has been brutal.  How administrators decide who gets interviews is a mystery to me.  I suppose my situation would be better if I were willing to relocate, but I didn't become a teacher to uproot my family.  Best of luck to you (and the rest of us).
ttf_Hammer

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Hammer »

Quote from: Steven on Aug 26, 2013, 05:08PMYeah, the job market for new teachers has been brutal.  How administrators decide who gets interviews is a mystery to me.  I suppose my situation would be better if I were willing to relocate, but I didn't become a teacher to uproot my family.  Best of luck to you (and the rest of us).

Thank you! I hope your position doesn't get cut and that you can easily make it to retirement.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everybody!!

I live in Bolivia. A few years ago I started playing trombone by "accident". But time later I began to appreciate it and enjoying a lot.

ttf_Steven

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Cba on Aug 28, 2013, 02:14PMI live in Bolivia. A few years ago I started playing trombone by "accident". But time later I began to appreciate it and enjoying a lot.

Cool!  In what types of groups do you play?  (I don't think I've ever played at high altitude.)
ttf_Cba

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Cba »

Well, I played in a little wind orchestra, and now I play with three friends( they also play trombone) but just for us.

I live in a place that is not too high.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, I am new to this forum and I am trying to get information on an Olds Trombone that we bought for my son some years ago.  I have been trying to date this instrument so that I can see if it is even worth selling, but I am having trouble locating information on this serial number.  Any information that anyone here can give me would be greatly appreciated. The instrument is an Olds Trombone serial number 478236.  Thank you for your help.
ttf_dj kennedy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image :hi:WELCOME ALL YOU NEWBIES TO THE TROMBONE FORUM  Image Image Image

and you serious ones  please consider  joining THE INTERNATIONAL TROMBONE ASSOCIATION [if you havent already]

i wish some sort of  merger  w the ita could progress

ttf_dj kennedy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

post this request  on  INSTRUMENTS  SECTION --

Quote from: gailya36 on Sep 14, 2013, 12:01PMHello, I am new to this forum and I am trying to get information on an Olds Trombone that we bought for my son some years ago.  I have been trying to date this instrument so that I can see if it is even worth selling, but I am having trouble locating information on this serial number.  Any information that anyone here can give me would be greatly appreciated. The instrument is an Olds Trombone serial number 478236.  Thank you for your help.

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi Everyone,
My name is Dan. My user name is Mendez. I chose that name because my trumpet that I have had 30+ years, since grade school, is an Olds Mendez.
I have a weakness for brass.
I joined this site because every time I search for information I seem to end up here. Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan
ttf_Bruce the budgie

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Bruce the budgie »

Hi, all,

I intend to lurk and learn. We will see how that works out. Registered an account so I can see attachments. Many thanks to the experienced players and teachers who contribute here!

I played cornet from age 12 to 17, and still have the 1960 Conn Director in mostly dent-free playable shape with the Bach 10-½C mouthpiece my HS band director gave me, though it does not get played much. Nowadays I am an amateur string player, a parlor fiddler who occasionally touches a cello, viola, and octave mandolin.

Found a Bach student tenor bone with what I think is a .500" bore, in a local guitar/drum/keyboard shop. On the advice of a local teacher, I got a 6½AL, and am exploring what can be done with that, along with the 12C that came with it. Been playing slow airs from my fiddle rep, and having a blast. She Who Gets My Undivided Attention even says it sounds good coming from the basement.

The budgie sometimes sits on my shoulder— not while I'm playing... yet. I don't know what his real name is, but he doesn't mind being called Bruce.

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi 'Bruce the Budgie',

I'm sure you will get a lot from playing the trombone. You have made a good choice with the Bach small bore and the 6 1/2 AL ( the 12c gives an easier high range but I find sound quality/richness diminished).

I take it you are learning in the bass clef, if so then I think some of your cello music should be OK to practice with. To start with avoid anything without flats as B natural ( Image  Image ) can be a challenge in the needed 7th position. 

Enjoy, the trombone is a very simple instrument. It's just playing it right that can be a mite tricky  Image .
ttf_Bruce the budgie

New Forum Members!

Cheers, Carltongreen! I'm finding it's true what you say about mouthpiece choice. Brighter with the 12C, and easier highs. When I first tried the 6½AL, the change in sound felt a bit like putting a new set of strings on a violin.

I'm familiar with bass clef from my singing and cello playing, so no prob with that. I'm actually learning mostly by ear, using treble-clef "dots and lines" to remind me how each melody goes, but playing an octave down.

The tunes I'm playing haven't gone much beyond fifth position so far, with only an occasional reach to sixth and seventh. (Next week I'll do slow scales, I promise!) Coincidentally I tried Willie Nelson's "Crazy" in three flats this morning, with an accidental B natural near the end. It worked well enough for my present standard.
It's a whole new mental geography I'm discovering, quite different from strings and their harmonics.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My name is Steph, amatir Trombone Player. Live in Jakarta. Father of 3 children.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Bruce the budgie on Oct 02, 2013, 04:14PMCheers, Carltongreen! I'm finding it's true what you say about mouthpiece choice. Brighter with the 12C, and easier highs. When I first tried the 6½AL, the change in sound felt a bit like putting a new set of strings on a violin.

I'm familiar with bass clef from my singing and cello playing, so no prob with that. I'm actually learning mostly by ear, using treble-clef "dots and lines" to remind me how each melody goes, but playing an octave down.

It will help you to have a few lessons with a regular trombone player. The lessons will get some more basic trombone skills in place for you to add your other musical experience to.

As a tutor book I think Runbank Elementary Method for Trombone will help (http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUBANK-ELEMENTARY-METHOD-TROMBONE-BARITONE-BOOK-/380470020936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5895c7cb48). And Mel Bay do a book called fun with trombone which will give you some simple tunes to play ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mel-Bays-Fun-with-the-Trombone-by-William-Bay-1971-Book-Other-/251271928688?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3a80f95b70 )

If you are to ever play with others it is important to learn to read and play in the bass clef first, other clefs can follow later.

Hope this helps you get a good start. Enjoy.
ttf_Bruce the budgie

New Forum Members!

Image Carltongreen, you must be a mind reader. That Rubank elementary method came home with me the same day the horn did. I'm planning to start regular lessons after the new year, with the same fellow who was kind enough to point me in some useful directions at first. One thing I hope the teacher will do is help me connect with some other geezers to play in a group. You're lucky to live in a place with a live tradition of brass bands. There may be some such here in New England, but I haven't yet gone looking. I've a ways to go building up skill, first.

I've attached an example of the kind of thing I'm playing around with, Tom Anderson's "da Slockit Light" on a bass staff in C.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Bruce the budgie on Oct 03, 2013, 06:36AMImage Carltongreen, you must be a mind reader. That Rubank elementary method came home with me the same day the horn did. I'm planning to start regular lessons after the new year, with the same fellow who was kind enough to point me in some useful directions at first. One thing I hope the teacher will do is help me connect with some other geezers to play in a group. You're lucky to live in a place with a live tradition of brass bands. There may be some such here in New England, but I haven't yet gone looking. I've a ways to go building up skill, first.

I've attached an example of the kind of thing I'm playing around with, Tom Anderson's "da Slockit Light" on a bass staff in C.

You're well on track with organising lessons and the Rubank, it might be worth your while getting the intermediate book too. It would be an idea the have a few lessons (rather than non) before the New Year and then get more serious if you still want to. Buy yourself / use a digital tuner as well, for some of your practice time.

"da Slockit Light" is a good test IMHO, the high range will be a challenge for a beginner. I don't normally need to play that high - it's good to be able to - and aim to have good sound quality first and range second.

I wouldn't automatically recommend brass bands to you though I have played happily in them for many years; I moved to a wind band 9 months ago for more variety. Brass Band tenor trombones play in the treble clef (but pitched in Bb not C) rather than the bass clef; trying to be good at both bass and treble clef is too much of a challenge for a beginner - the conversion to bass clef has been a major challenge to me  Image ...., but then I'm not that good a musician.

Edit. Brass Band Pitch.  Image Image  or  Image is read and understood (by bandsmen) to be a C played in first position, what they actually play is concert pitch Bb.

You need to find some target music groups to join and then pick the right clef for them. Your teacher might have a few contacts if that helps to start with. I'm not certain about US geography (New England is the North East seaboard states?) but there will be a stack of groups to join once you start digging on the web and asking about. 

ttf_Bruce the budgie

New Forum Members!

Aye, I'm working on sound and breath, letting the range come as it may. There's another tune I want to play, the Boy's Lament for His Dragon— set in D, that tune goes to the A above middle C. I can sometimes get it clean when the lip is fresh, but I don't want to push it.

I think I could play the attached Dark Isle all day, since it only goes to the D  Image Image when taken down an octave. That's one of the tunes for me to memorize and play endlessly, trying to get the horn to sing, and with all the notes in tune.

Reading over that bass transposition of da Slockit Light just now to make sure all the spots were in the right place, I realized that I actually do need to spend time playing from bass staves to build fluent reading. I've printed out the melody line of The Ash-Grove in tenor clef with the same idea in mind: play a tune my ears already know, while the eyes get familiar with a new clef.

New England includes Boston (Massachusetts) and Providence (Rhode Island), both within longish day-trip distance for me. (Boston is where British subjects once made tea without heating the water first, or putting in milk.) I seem to have ended up in a small city with a thriving music scene. I haven't yet mapped out the rest of my musical journey— so far it's included hymns, a cappella madrigals and chanteys, and the occasional contra/square dance. I'll probably never swing in a big band, but if I could fit into a small Dixieland group, I'd be happy as the famous clam at high tide. Bold words for someone who's been transplanted here to Yankee-land, but stranger things have happened. Looking for good-time music, me, amongst the kind of folks who say, "When in doubt, play something by Hank Williams."
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

So after lurking for a solid year here on the forums, I figured it was time to finally get an account an introduce myself.

I'm Steve, an amateur trombonist in the Augusta, GA area.  I say amateur with just a twinge of regret, as I had been studying music with an eye towards the big leagues, but alas due to a lack of maturity, hardiness, and so many other of those "soft skills" that a person needs to have to be successful in any pursuit, I crashed and burned.  And by crash and burn, I mean I dropped out of college (I was studying at the University of Louisville with Richard Cryder), and ran off and joined the circus...I mean Navy.  Where I have been ever since (nearly 13 years now).

Between the years 2000 and maybe 2011, I never touched a trombone.  But I've taken back to it with a vengeance.

It proved difficult at first (partially because of the fact I was deploying heavily between 2010 up until about six months ago, and there's not much room for a trombone on a submarine), but now that I have some time at home, I actually am able to practice, and believe I'm about 85-90% where I used to be at my peak.

It's funny, playing the trombone at age 33 after years of neglect, vice age 18 at my peak, I encounter some interesting phenomena.  I am by no means old, but even at this age, I think the current thinking is we have less plasticity in our brains, for learning things like music and language (side note, my job in the Navy is as a linguist).  So technical passages come a bit more difficult then they used to.  But many things come easier.  I have a far better ear for intonation then I ever did when I was in high school/college.  I have a much more complete concept of the sound I want (maybe even time for a horn upgrade?  we'll see).  My appreciation for MUSIC, and therefore for musicality is far more developed.  Overall, it's good times!

Sorry this is so long, but I have a lot to say, and am holding back quite a bit.  But that's what the forums are for, right?  So I'll be posting more.  I am happy to be here, because I really am seeking a sense of community with my music, and hopefully maybe even a little mentorship (I may even be restarting my private lesson regiment, that is if I didn't already irk my new potential teacher with a last minute cancellation of my first lesson due to work).  Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you.  Cheers!

Return to “Chit-Chat”