New Forum Members!

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image Hi guys, my name is Josh and I am a student at the University of Mobile. I have been playing trombone for seven years and decided to join the forum so that I may seek guidance from people more experienced than I.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey guys,

My name's Ben and I'm a junior in high school. I've played since 5th grade, but to be honest, I've really only started developing a passion after getting put in my school's highest band my sophomore year (freshmen aren't allowed in), and I play in that and the school's full orchestra during the school hours. In addition to that, I'm a jazz addict. I can't remember the last time I wrote a paper for an english class without listening to jazz during it. I play in my school's highest jazz band, 2nd chair to a senior. I play on a barely-a-year-old Conn 88H
ttf_dj kennedy

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image    Image Image Image Image Image Image    Image Image Image Image Image
 Image Image Image Image Image Image
=======
WELCOME   NEWBIES    LURKERS   
======
I  LUV  THE  TROMBONE  FORUM
======
GOD BLESS US EACH  AND EVERY  ONE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image Im new! I've seen this website pop up in my search bar for years then I finally decided to check it out. Fell in love.
ttf_RidingTheElkhart

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RidingTheElkhart »

Hello! My names Raul and I joined about 2 days ago and I've learned so much so far! I play Trombone in Miami Dade College studying with an amazing teacher and getting things done! I love to be social and meet new people and get as much information as possible! So that's mainly why I made this account  Image
ttf_FerhyaSlide

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_FerhyaSlide »

Quote from: RidingTheElkhart on Dec 20, 2013, 05:06AMHello! My names Raul and I joined about 2 days ago and I've learned so much so far! I play Trombone in Miami Dade College studying with an amazing teacher and getting things done! I love to be social and meet new people and get as much information as possible! So that's mainly why I made this account  Image

Basically, that's what we will try to provide everyone with.
-Fun
-Facts
-Fear Image
-Free time waste.
ttf_sigsoupf

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_sigsoupf »

Hello, everyone my name is Joseph, I picked up a trombone about 2 months ago and have been practicing 1-3 hours a day since. I'm using a yamaha 446g with a few different mouth pieces bach 5g , artisan 11c and a artisan 6.5al. I plan on getting a getzen 4147ib eventually. I'm a tenor sax player but originally started with trombone back in 1997. I have been lurking these forums everyday and thank many of you for all the free info.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all,

My name is Michael, username is OzShires, I am from Perth in Australia.  I've been playing since I was about 8 yrs old (now 23 yrs old).  I'll get onto the interesting stuff now.  I have a S.E Shires.  The specs are as follows TB47 Slide, 1G Bell, Rotary Valve using a Bach 6-1/2AL mouthpiece and a 2 leadpipe.  For those of you who are interested and aren't sure what they all mean check out the Shires website or send me a message.  I also inherited a Huttl Line 800 small bore with valve and slide attachments which I'm trying to find out a bit more info about.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey guys,
My name's Nate and I'm from Cape Girardeau, MO, where I recently graduated with my Music Ed degree. In a couple of months I will be leaving for the Marine Corps Basic Training. I auditioned for the Marine Band on Trombone and got in the program, but first I have to go through Basic.
In college I was in as many ensembles as I could be in: Marching, Jazz, Wind Symphony, Orchestra, and the Trombone Choir.
I have been snooping around this forum and reading a lot of great stuff, so I thought I would join and meet some new people and make some good contacts!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi my name is Brian I live in Cape Town and was a trombonist throughout high school and attended beau soleil music school.  On leaving school I stopped music and sold my trombone.  Biggest mistake of my life.  Now years later I am making a come back, have bought a blessing btb88 open wrap from the states and have joined a music school in Cape Town again with the hope of training beyond my levels when I left school........what can I say it's in your blood then it's in your blood.....  Image
ttf_Steven

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Hey Brian!  When you get your chops back, you will probably find that you are a better musician than you ever were before.  I don't know why this works, but for many of us it turns out to be true.
ttf_JazzBoneSon

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_JazzBoneSon »

Hi everone!

My name's Vanessa and I'm a tenor trombonist.

I'm actually from London (UK), currently studying at Trinity Laban in the 1st year of my degree. It's very nice to meet you all. Image

I really like playing in orchestras, but I also enjoy playing in big bands, chamber groups, etc. My two favourite composers are Stravinsky and Mahler and one of my favourite trombonists is probably Ian Bousfield. I also play piano and a bit of bass guitar.

First post, woo!  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Greetings. Like a lot of you here, I returned to music performance, and in my case after a ~30 break. That was in 2002. Now I create bands like the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra, now in it's tenth year of providing great dance music in the Seattle area.

A woodwind player, I have admin'd on the Sax on the Web forum, and now admin on the Woodwind Forum. I am called upon to help parents with young musicians, hobbyists looking for that killer instrument, and family find that perfect instrument, locate that hard to find music arrangement, and/or recommend a great music instructor or repair tech.

I look forward to getting to meet the people on this august forum so that I can point my peeps here for those questions that are beyond my expertise.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, my name is Daniel and I have been playing trombone for about 6 years. I have seen a lot of helpful information from this forum throughout the years and am glad to finally join this wonderful community.
ttf_ConnBone18

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_ConnBone18 »

Hello, my name is Luc, i'm from Belgium.
I play on 2 Conn trombone's.
My first is a Conn Director 18H Coprion Bell from 1962.
My 2nd is a Conn Director 18H in nickel-silver.

My daughter (11 years young) and my son (8 years young) are playing on a Yamaha 350-C, a trombone for young childrens.

We playing sometimes on pBones for fun.

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, I'm Avi,

Right now I'm a Physics major at University of the Pacific, but I am auditioning in a week to double major with a BA in music!

I see this forum a lot whenever I google trombone questions, so I finally decided to make an account.

I have some okay horns,
King 606 - needs a little work but I use it for lead in Jazz Band with a Wick 10CS
Holton 602F - my all around horn, I use a Giddings & Webster Harry Waters m'pce with it. I used this horn almost exclusively for 3 years.
Blessing B-88-OR - just got this (for $250!), still need to fully get used to it and it needs a little bit of slide work. Right now using a Bach 5G with it. Plan to use for Wind Ensemble.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone. I'm from York in the UK. I am 56 years of age and with retirement imminent, I seem to have acquired a tenor trombone. I believe that I have always wanted to play trombone from around the age of 11. I asked if I could play in the school band at this time and progressed from cornet, flugel horn, tenor horn and euphonium.....but, probably due to lack of musical talent....and no disrespect to all tuba players out there, I ended up playing BBb bass (tuba).  (I still can't understand why they didn't try me on trombone). Anyway...I was happy with my lot...and even joined a British military band playing BBb bass when I left school. Left the military band in 1986....and have never blown a note for nearly 28 years.......until I succumbed to my 'mid life crisis' and bought a trombone on an internet site.  And I love it!!  Me....the trombone that I have hankered to play for as many years as I can remember and my tune a day for trombone beginners tutor book. It begs the question, 'Why didn't I decide to do this much earlier'?

I hope to glean as much help and information that I can from this fab forum. 
ttf_KingMan

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_KingMan »

Welcome to the forum from York (Pa) in the US. You found the best place on the web to learn from and contribute to the world of trombone enthusiasts. Best of luck on your journey!

Joel
ttf_davdud101

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Hi, everyone!
I'm Dave, a high school senior who tries to play in every musical ensemble and group that I can, and I've been playing t-bone for 6yrs. I record my own music alongside, sometime incorporating the trombone sound. Just wanted to say hi before I began asking questions and things. Thanks!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone,

I've come to the trombone in kind of a roundabout way.  I've actually focused on playing the (French) horn more in my life, but I have had an interest in being able to double on multiple instruments for a while.  Recently I've become a member of the Crescendo Amelia big band, playing trombone with them, so I figured this would be a good place to start learning more about the instrument.  I've finally decided to stop merely lurking and actually become a member of the forum, so I look forward to learning a lot more about being a trombonist.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Greetings,

My name is Desmond, and I come from Malaysia. I started playing the trombone when I was in the school marching show band.

Now, I have a full-time job as a civil engineer. As for the music scene, I currently play for the semi-professional state orchestra, and occasionally I go back to my ex school band and teach whatever I could to the kids on the trombone.

My knowledge in playing the trombone isn't extensive - learned the basics from my school band's music director, and tips from professional guest musicians around Asia (we were a pretty competitive band). Stopped for a few years after school, and got back to playing again when I went to UK for my master's degree. In UK I have played with a wind band, a big band and a brass band (for non-competition pieces - couldn't read treble clefs well and the difficulty level of the pieces is like heaven and earth, but they were very kind to let me in to gain some experience!)

I really like playing the trombone, and always look forward to playing it after a hard day/week's work. My aim is to upgrade myself to become a better musician, a better trombone player. As I do not have a proper professional trombone coach around my area (currently I am back to my hometown), I try my best to learn them online, so occasionally you may see some really basic/odd questions from me.

I look forward to learning more from you lot  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hola everyone!,

I figured I would finally join the trombone forum as throughout the years, on multiple occasions I have sought information on here about my equipment, techniques and such.  And on that note I thank the whole trombone community for the helpful knowledge.  I've been playing trombone for about eight years now, and I enjoy it very much, even though I've had my ups and downs with it due to financial stability to upgrade my equipment. 

I currently own a Jupiter student model junker that I only use for marching band.  And all the other times I primarily use a wonderful Edwards that is owned by my director. 

Next year I'm hoping onto bass bone full time for Jazz and Symphonic band.  My goal currently for my trombone 'career' is to gain wisdom of the entire "trombone realm' and hope to spread it to around me. 

I plan on picking up a new bone real soon, maybe today.  I have my eyes on an old Reynolds Emperor and my focus is to develop a better upper range for the cases I may have to play lead.  If anyone would like to help me on my decision I'm about to make, or advise me to look for something else, it would be very much appreciated!  Just PM me.

Anyways, I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from the community in the future! Thanks!

-JD
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello fellow Trombonists! My name Jonah Mallett and I am a tenor trombonist attending Lafayette High School in Louisiana. I play in the marching band, Wind Ensemble, and Jazz band. I play on a Yamaha Xeno YSL-882GO and also have a straight Yamaha student line horn (don't know model). I really love jazz and marching band, but I much prefer the subtleties and beauty of concert music. I look forward to discussing and learning with other trombonists.
ttf_estking598

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_estking598 »

I am new here. I have joined last week. I am starting to explore this forum site and I am enjoying it. I am Estella King.
ttf_CircusBandMan

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_CircusBandMan »

First of all, I love this site. I've already picked up a lot of good information here. And the enthusiasm and all the good spirits I see are really helping to encourage me.
I'm trying to get my chops back on a beat up old Buescher Aristocrat with a bad slide, and shopping for a cheap decent used horn. I'll eventually want to put out some serious money for a good horn, but not until I'm sure I'll stay committed to playing again.
My early training was geared to a career in classical music. I studied at LSU with Irvin Wagner and Larry Campbell, both Remington students. My goal was to play in an orchestra. I had a 20 year career as a trombone player, doing the usual gigs along the way, but I never got that orchestra job I dreamed of. My most notable gig was 3 years with the Ringling Brothers blue show. After I moved to New Orleans, I found myself getting more and more burned out. I was playing a lot of bad music: wedding bands, dixieland, ... It wasn't what I had envisioned when I spent all those hours practicing when I was a kid. So, when all my horns were stolen in 1985 (That still hurts.), I decided to quit.
Over the years, I've often thought of picking up the horn again, and I'm finally making the effort. Wish me luck. Image
Richard Rusk

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My name is Scott and I'm in Atlanta.

I am returning to the trombone after 25 years off.  I played in elementary through high school and a very little bit in the army.  After about six months, I'm playing in a church orchestra and attempting to be a part of a trombone choir.  Fun stuff!

Thanks for this great forum I have learned a tremendous amount!

Scott
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey everyone, my name is Eric and I'm mainly a bass trombone player currently in my last year of my undergrad. I play in just about any ensemble that needs a bass trombone from jazz to band to orchestra. I just try to play as much as I can and take on whatever opportunities end up my way.

My main instrument is a Yamaha YBL-612RII and a G&W Karif mouthpiece, although I have a 1.5G I use for especially high parts that come my way.
ttf_morelsbone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_morelsbone »

Hello Fellow Trombonists!
I am a high school (freshman) trombonist, section leader. I play alto and tenor trombone, my tenor is unfortunately a school horn, a Yamaha 648. I do however get my own tenor this year and I hope for a Bach Stradivarius 42 or a Conn 88H.
ttf_boneheaded518

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_boneheaded518 »

Greetings!

I'm in my senior year of a music education degree at Utah State University.  And when I say senior, I mean it's my fourth year, not that I'm anywhere close to graduating...  Image I play the tenor trombone primarily, although I have dabbled in bass and alto and really enjoy them.  I play on some Gerhard Baier intermediate horn that I got in high school when I didn't know squat about different instrument makers or components or anything.  It's a great intermediate horn, but I'm hoping to upgrade soon before I move on to grad school.

Nice to meet you all!
ttf_Steven

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: scottandrewrogers on Oct 31, 2014, 10:37AMAfter about six months, I'm playing in a church orchestra and attempting to be a part of a trombone choir.  Fun stuff!

It's hard to beat the sound and fun of a trombone choir.  I wish I had more opportunity to play in trombone choirs, but at least I get to do it twice a year.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just saw somebody else post to this "New Forum Member" thread and realized I should probably do the same. I discovered and joined the forum a couple of months ago and have really been enjoying reading.

I am 58 years old and almost 6 years got back into trombone playing after probably 25 years of very little playing. I have played primarily bass trombone since my senior year of high school. I joined a big band almost 6 years ago and have loved it! Our 3rd chair player is also really a bass trombonist, so about a year ago, we switched parts. I love playing bass, but I wanted to try out something different and I really enjoy the challenge of finding those inner harmony parts on some tunes. I also enjoy trying to improve my range. When playing bass I use a Schilke 59 mouthpiece, but switch to a smaller one for playing 3rd (and occasionally 2nd) parts. I recently sort of "rediscovered" my old student horn - an Olds Ambassador - and that set me on a path of trying to find a good used tenor trombone. I like the sound of the Olds, but it's pretty beat up.

My "real" job is as a video producer and I love doing recording projects on the side. My "legitimate" instrument through school was always trombone, but I am also a drummer (and probably have all the annoying qualities of players of both instruments)!

Anyway, this is a cool place and I'm glad to be here.

Rob
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been silently stalking the threads here for a long time now, I finally decided to join when I found an alto in the classifieds that i wanted.

I'm Joe, I'm from Lansing MI, did my undergraduate at Oakland University in Detroit, and am currently a Masters Student at the Chicago College of Performing Arts, studying with Jay Friedman. I am primarily a tenor player, but I also double Bass and Euphonium.

Horns:
Bach 42BO (Gold 5G): It has a gold brass bell and a standard rotor, I know a lot of people hate Bach rotors but I love everything about this horn and am yet to play anything I like better, this is my work horse horn and probably will be for the rest of my career.

Bach 39 Alto (12C): i think its from the mid 80's, its raw brass and plays beautifully

King 3B (6.5AL): I just picked this up for pretty cheap about a week ago. the slide is in rough shape and needs work, but other than that its in awesome shape. I'm looking forward to doing some gigging on it once i get the slide fixed

King Duo Gravis Bass (1.5G): This thing is seriously a gem, my mom got it for me when i wanted to step up in middle school (neither of us had any clue what we were doing haha, definitely got lucky though). I've played modern basses that don't even compare to how this thing blows. I've used it in concert bands, jazz bands, orchestras, chamber groups... there is nothing this horn can't do. I love it

So that's pretty much me!

Cheers,

Joe
ttf_Jeff Albert

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Jeff Albert »

Hello!

I play the trombone as my primary instrument, a Conn 88H generation 2, I will however see if I like the restored silver plated one from 1953 better. I will be the first one to test it after it has been shipped back to the shop, the owner of the store told me so.

I double with an old Yamaha circular alto horn/mellophone and with a chinese Wessex double plug bass trombone + an old Yamaha YBL-321 that I might buy from our recently closed music school. The single trigger 40 year old Yamaha is much better than the Bb-Gb-F-D Wessex bass, in my opinion. Much louder and has an easier blow on the partial above the pedals.

Not really happy that I bought a chinese horn, even if it has been useful. Many instruments have been produced, not always by the will of the workforce, but for the pockets of the factoryowners.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm Jeremy Beckham.  I started trombone when I was in 6th grade and played through high school on rented or school horns.  My last two years of high school, I was playing a King 3B w/F.  I took a 13 year break after high school, and decided I wanted to start playing again.  Talked the wife into spending as little cash as possible on a horn and bought a chinese Etude EB100 on sale from Musician's Friend for $100.  A year later, I started playing in a jazz band with several of the band directors that taught me. 

I've been lurking on the forums for about 6 months and hoping to come across another 3B w/F for really cheap so I can start playing a horn that isn't always flat in first.  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi there!

My name is Gary and I am glad to be part of this community! I played a Yamaha tenor for years as part of my high school jazz/concert band. I then graduated to a bass trombone (might have been a Bach?) - the ironic thing is I could hit the Bb above middle C on it, I could not on the tenor!  Image

Anyway, fast forwarding a bunch of years I wanted to get back into playing so I got a F-D bass. Beautiful instrument. One of my favorite pieces is the Aequalis in E by Bruch.

So...in closing, hi to all my fellow trombone/brass player friends! I am hoping to get my chops back up to speed and hopefully audition to join my local concert band.
ttf_Tbonedude

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Hello!

My name is Michael- I've seen posts on the forum occasionally and decided to join last night. I'm in High School (sophomore), and I'm part of a Jazz group, Concert band, Marching band, and Pep band. I use a Yamaha YSL354 for all that right now, but I'm trying to get an F-Trigger horn for Concert band.

I'm slowly getting together a collection of vintage instruments. Right now I'm up to a Pre-1930 "Statler" stencil Trumpet from eastern Europe (got for $50 at a local antique store) and a 1957 Conn/Elkhart Cavalier Trombone (got for $100 on Ebay). If I get a vintage F-Trigger, I'll knock out two birds with one stone.

Additionally, I have a small collection of mouthpieces. Between the old Trumpet, the old Trombone, and the new(er) Trombone, I have 13 mouthpieces. A couple are duplicates (like an Elkhorn 'piece I have two of) but otherwise, every one is different. I can go more in-depth about the mouthpieces in a different post.

Since I'm a Sophomore in High School band with only two years of experience (I can share that story if you'd like) I obviously don't know as much about instruments, mouthpieces, techniques, or music as most other members seem to. But it looks like I'll learn quite a bit here and have a good time doing so.

That just about sums me up as a player. Otherwise I've got a lot of unusual hobbies.

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, I joined earlier today.  I'm a dormant trombonist having been an active orchestral player during my high school and university days in England (in the late '70s to early '80s) but not having played a note since the mid '90s.  I now live in NY City, and I've been toying with the idea of buying a pBone mini, although the large number of negative reviews have made me pause before going ahead.

I grew up in Liverpool where I had two teachers including the principal trombonist at the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic (I'm still in touch with him after 37 years and ended up playing on a King 5B for most of my active playing career).  I was fortunate enough to have played in a couple of decent youth orchestras and I rather miss the ensemble.  The last time I played was with a quintet in the early 90s. 

I'm a classical music buff, but I'd really like to play some of the trombone lines (particularly the alto) rather than just listening.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi From Sussex (UK),
My trombone story begins in a German town band sitting next to my father, who still plays 1st trombone there.
It took me via certain offroad tracks (trying my luck on ancient double reeds) to playing mainly sackbut as a semi-pro in Southern Germany and Switzerland.
Then followed a long break, with me moving to England.

Over a year ago I started playing a gain, having been drawn to play in a community orchestra, where I am the only trombone.
Then I came across sabutin's posts, and that got me really going, and with the help of this forum my trombone horizon grows and grows...

Currently I practise mostly on my old Bach 36G, and I teach by son - we both have mini pbones (and quite enjoy them for what they are).

Now - I have a craving for a more meaty sound...

Trombone or Sackbut players in London and the South East,
I dream of sporadic events where a bunch of us would come together and play some great music for 2, 3, 4 ... trombones, just for fun. PM me, if you want to share that dream.

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The time of lurking and reading anonymously has come to an end...

Mike from Germany here.

I am 48 years old, and after starting out on an old baritone in a German trombone choir, I have been playing the trombone since 1980 (I think my first own bone was a Conn I spent all my money on). My father used to be an organ player and my mum a music teacher, so it is no wonder I went  in that direction too.
Well, 30 years later I found myself as a music teacher still playing that same old Bach 50 bass trombone,
which has accompanied me through my studies, big bands, orchestra and chamber music. But playig has become rarer, so I might qualify as a comeback player
Married with two sons who have also picked up brass (trombone and trumpet), I could not be happier.
But as I recently suffered from shoulder and neck syndroms, I sold my heavy Bach 50 and
have tried to find a versatile, medium-priced lighter one.
Looks as if I have found it in a nice Kanstul 970 - hopefully, as I have not received it yet...

Anyway, that is about all I can say except that I really enjoy browsing this forum, it is a great treasure of information and opinion.

Best wishes to everybody
and greeting from Wesel at the river Rhine

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English, as I am not a native speaker.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Welcome!

Your English is better than that of many of the native speakers here.  Image
ttf_Tromboniman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Tromboniman »

Thanks, Dan, that is very kind of you.
You do not know how long it takes me to put these sentences together though Image
ttf_denny seifried

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_denny seifried »

Hello everyone.
My name is Bruce, I am 73 years old, retired medical laboratory worker. I purchased my trombone (a purple Jiggs plastic Pbone) last December and am just beginning to come to terms with what I have taken on!
I have a tutor who is a local 78 year old retired military musician (brass professor) who has vast experience, but has never tried to teach anyone my age before. He is very helpful and encouraging. I hope to benefit from the experiences of other late beginners to the trombone on this forum as well as the obvious wealth of distilled knowledge and experience here.
Thanks for having me!
Bruce.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello All,
Even though I`m not brand new to the forum, I decided to finally introduce myself formally. I am a freshman in high school and have been playing trombone for 4 years now. I`m in the schools marching band and play 2nd trombone in the concert band. I`m also in Army JROTC,and an active participant on the raider team in JROTC. I`m also a Cadet Technical Sgt. in the USAF auxiliary. I plan on enlisting in the USMC and go the infantry route. I sometimes ask stupid and ignorant questions. I do apoligize in advance for them and will try to keep them out of the forum as much as I can. My current setup for marching band is a Mercedes by Bach with a Remington mouthpiece, and for concert band I use a Prelude by Bach with "F" attachment with a 6-1/2AL mouthpiece. Thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
-Nick
ttf_Tree1

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Tree1 »

Kelly Ford here. Been ribbed all my life about that first name. Not as bad as Sue but close. Always been a guy. Live in Duncanville, TX. Retired from USAF, TI and USPS respectively. Married going on 43 years, 2 grown daughters, a grandson, a great grandson and a granddaughter. Played Bass T (Bach) in HS and college marching and dance/lab bands. Won city with Holiday (Trio) for Trombones, long, long ago. Into acrylic painting with a group on FaceBook (Clive5Art) and getting back to my first love, "Bass Trombone" and writing: music and 2 books so far. Sold my  Palatino tenor, returned an f attachment reject and am waiting for a Mack Brass via FedEx to get here by next Wednesday. Hey, the bass trombone may outlive me. And yes affordability is an issue, just being honest, OK I'm an ol fart too. I have Parkinsons (brain scan help diagnose it) but don't have tremors. I need to play before I lose ability. I'm learning a lot here on the forum and appreciate the advice and all. I like all music but especially the trombone music from such as backed up Classical Gas to Trombone Shorty. Still listen to Stan Kenton and his orchestra. We were one of the last marching bands to play the Stripper in the stands.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

DO NOT READ THE BOTTOM: JUST ME BEING ANNOYED; USELESS FACTS

Hello. I do not wish to present my real name now, but you can call me Eon instead (this is the only informality I can handle, I do not want to share my identity). I have taken a lot of precaution, and this is my first time giving real information about me out on the web. Here we go:

Age: I am a teen, usually act very mature, but my nerdom causes me to be a bit childish.

Occupation: I attend Grant Union Jr/Sr High School, located in John Day, which is in the-middle-of-nowhere Eastern
Oregon, as a student.

Life: Loner, Nerd, Multi-musician, Underestimated

Instruments: I do not want to list them all, for I play over twenty, but I have played the piano the longest, the soprano trombone the shortest, and my favorite instruments, by group, are the piano, guitar, alto saxophone, trombone, and tromboe (and/or tromboon).

Events: I have attended Oregon OMEA All-State Middle School Band on trombone, the Eastern Oregon University Solo Competition on the trombone and flute, and High School District competition in Choir and Band for 1a/2a schools as manager.

BOTTOM:REMINDER:JUST ME OUTRAGED IN AN ORDERLY FASHION, DO NOT READ

Quote from: Adurobone on Apr 02, 2004, 02:32PM
Been playing for 7 months, though. That's what you get when you waste 4 years of middle school playing the flute... Image

I understand that this is from 2004, but still...

Really? Wasting time playing the flute? If you are playing music, how is that wasting time? I am Samantha, and I am thirteen. I have been playing the trombone not much longer than 7 months. I play over twenty instruments, flute included. My first year of band, I started off on the alto saxophone, and by the end of the year, I was playing flute, because we really needed one. I never liked the flute, and I am still not a fan, but I still play. Take it seriously. Others dedicate their life to flute playing, including the person who helped me learn the trombone.
     Two months after learning the trombone, my band director wanted to put me in for All- State. Four months after that, I was there, playing the trombone, of all instruments. I supported being there, but could have played any other instrument better, including any type of flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, saxophone, French horn, trumpet, euphonium, tuba, double bass, or percussion. I was probably the most unexperienced one there, and thought that it was a waste of time not going on an instrument I knew better.
     Let me get to the point: as I said, I thought of it as a waste of time. However, the director at All-State was a trombonist, and we were playing a few of his pieces. Playing trombone on a piece that a great trombonist composed is a real treat. I wish I would have realized it sooner. Now, because of the All-State experience I had, my trombone is very precious to me. It is my passion, it is my life.
     I understand that you feel you should have played the trombone first, but I am sure glad I did not. If I did not have experience in music before starting the trombone, I most likely would not have the strength to learn it. Now, I am the only trombonist in my band; our five trombonists (three past sixth graders and two old seventh graders) all quit because they could not persevere learning the trombone.
     My experiences strengthened me, and I am years ahead of where I should be because of them. I am performing at the level of a fifth or sixth year just from playing for nine months. Why? I have had experience for longer than that.
     Practice may not make perfect, but experiences are priceless. Be happy you played the flute.

Post Script: I understand that because of my age, people do not take me seriously. However, I have taken the place of many adults, and have the sense and maturity of someone twice my age. If anything, please do not treat me like a child. I may be one, but I never had to state my age, did I?

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Howdy! Due to the rarity of my real name, I'm not going to reveal it here.

I am a classical trombonist with 34 years of study and experience. I earned a BA degree in Musical Performance with a focus on the trombone 22 years ago, but haven't done anything professionally with it. Professionally, I am a software engineer, but I still consider myself a serious amateur musician. (Amateur means that I do it solely for love, and I love playing the trombone! Amateur doesn't mean I'm not good at it.)

I've played first or second chair with a couple of community/university string symphonies in and around the Portland, Oregon, area and love playing symphonic music. My favorite works of those I've played: Dvorak's New World Symphony, Beethoven's 5th Symphony, Scheherazade, Holst's Mars (from The Planets)... I'd love to play with some local wind symphonies (a.k.a. concert bands) when I have the time, and maybe even expand back into some small ensemble/solo work, but I do mostly symphony orchestra work for now. (No jazz. I haven't played any jazz since college.)

My current instrument is a Conn 88H from 1993. Not a vintage Elkie horn, but also not one of the Abilene horns people complain about, AFAIK. A very good bone that does everything I want it to do. I'm actively shopping around for another bone to replace my Conn, particularly one with the open wrap F attachment I didn't have the option to buy in '93. I'm partial to the Conn sound and may get an 88HO, 88HTO, 88HCL, or 88HTCL, though I am looking also at the Bach 42's and the Yamaha 882's.

So there you have it. That's who I am.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi
Mosse is my nickname, my real name does not come nice out since it contains a Swedish character. I am living outside our capital city Stockholm and make my living working with electronic equipment within the telecom sector.

Trombone I started to play 1972 when my father bought me a brand new Holton. Today my main trombone is a Conn 88H which I bought in Las Vegas 1996 meanwhile my colleguaes  where busy trying their luck on the slot machines. The Conn I am using playing in a symphony orchestra. I do also play wind band, playing trombone I am using a Bach 34, playing euphonium I have a horn from the Dutch manufacturer Adams.

Music is my passion, besides playing I collect CDs featuring the trombone.
Feels great to be part of this forum where so many gifted players share their experience.

ttf_TReynlds

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_TReynlds »

I've been learning a lot about equipment and catching up, and thank you for a great forum! While I still prefer my Elkhart Bach 42bg (1982 bell and early 70's slide) my dad bought for me when one could still visit Giardinelli's in NY to try out horns, it's been really something to learn about the new makers, and it's been very cool to learn more about the old names in their vintage years. I've been looking for a small bore instrument to play more jazz; I let my liberty 2b and 1929 78h go a few years back, and I miss them.

I haven't played professionally since grad school and into my first years of band directing, for at least 25 years. If folks needed a player locally for a church job, big band or orchestra, and they were really desperate, having gone way way waaaaay down the list, my phone has rung once or twice over the years. Playing each of the common wind and brass instruments as a band director, and not practicing nearly enough has done wonders for my embouchure and endurance. Image But, I've just returned to a bit of applied teaching as well, and I truly enjoy each of my students both in school and in the studio. I was fortunate to learn from quite a few amazing trombone teachers and ensemble directors, and I love my work.

And Eon, having read your intro from March: I have a son of just about your age who comes to mind of as you mention the many instruments you play and how you seem to be so willing to help your school and honors ensembles. He's a sax player who hasn't played as many instruments as you, but he has been doubling on clarinet, alto, tenor and bari, as well as flute. He is interested in composing and arranging as well, and all to interested in computers. Don't even allow anyone's words to make you feel belittled. Your music program is lucky to have you and I hope your peers appreciate you for your work!

Well that's more than enough of an intro. I look forward to learning from and getting to know some of you!

best,
Terry
(edited for grammar and believe it or not, brevity)
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey, everyone!  Image

My name is Evan and I like to play trombones of the bass variety. I actually started in euphonium in elementary school. Funnily enough, I refused to play the trombone because I thought that the slide would make it too difficult. Anyway, my first experience playing the trombone was buying an Olds Ambassador from my band director in eighth grade for $50. Not a bad deal. The next year, I entered high school and learned how to play bass trombone because I wanted to audition for all state jazz band. The first time I saw a bass trombone, I was just taken with the sheer size of it and the amount of tubing it had. Anyway, I ended up getting the top spot freshman year (discovering that I had a knack for low notes), and the rest, as cliché would say, is history.

I'll be attending Augustana College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in the fall, my major being music education. Earlier this summer, I attended the Southeast Trombone Symposium (10/10 would recommend), which allowed me to finally get my own horn: a custom Shires bass. My aspirations are to play professionally after my education. I've really learned a lot from this forum as a lurker, and am excited to interact with everyone as a member. Thanks, guys!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well apparently I should have made my first post here introducing myself instead of asking about my sound hahaha.

Anyway, My name is Ethan. I play a King 3B Silver Sonic with a Mount Vernon NY 9 mouthpiece. On top of this I own a basic Yamaha baritone and a Dynasty 010-M571 Baritone as well. I own a few nameless woodwinds as well.

I used to play Tenor and Bari-sax in jazz band until switching to trombone due to my choice to stick to strictly brass for a few years to start to specialize. I recently transferred schools from a school focused on jazz to one focused on a more classical program. I have won a few local jazz competitions and have played at Jimmy Mak's jazz club in Portland a few times now.

At my new school I am working with the director to reform the jazz program so it's no longer considered a joke within the school.

So far I have crafted my sound by imitating Trombone Shorty but have recently started incorporating the 1960's vocal style of groups like Dion and the Belmonts and singers like Paul Anka, into my tone.

I enjoy listening to funk and soul as well as the 60's era of music, playing trombone. I'm really excited to acquiring more knowledge and understanding of music as a whole and to interact with the rest of the community here. Image

Return to “Chit-Chat”