"Herrick-Style" Lead Pipes

ttf_bobroden

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Kanstul describes a couple of its available lead pipes as "Burt Herrick style."

I am familiar with Burt Herrick, and even have one of his original lead pipes in my Bach 12 (not removable, unfortunately), but I don't have any idea what it means to refer to a pipe as being in his style.

Anyone have any thought on it means to say that a lead pipe is "Burt Herrick style"?
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

I believe they are referring to the idea that the pipe is "influenced" by a Herrick design. It is common for people to measure an existing "widget", and make tooling to make it, but since the tooling is not original, it cannot be described as "the real deal". So, it is a "copy" (for want of a better word)

Another example though would be the M&K "Roberts" bass pipes. These are made on the actual, original mandrel that Olds used for the Roberts model bass trombone. So these can be called "reproductions", as opposed to "copies".

Make sense?

M
ttf_bobroden

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Quote from: Horn Builder on Apr 15, 2017, 11:43AMI believe they are referring to the idea that the pipe is "influenced" by a Herrick design.

Yes, I understand that, but I'm asking a slightly different question, which is: if a pipe is "Burt Herrick style," what characteristics of the pipe that reflect that fact?

For example, when we say a house is a Frank Lloyd Wright style house, we mean it has certain characteristics we associate with that architect's work.  Or if someone dances in the style of Fred Astaire, that's different from dancing in the style of Gene Kelly, and someone knowledgeable about that kind of dancing could specify what the differences are.

So if "Burt Herrick style" is meaningful enough to be used by Kanstul to describe its pipes to the public, I'm just wondering what that expression is supposed to communicate -- i.e., what characteristics should I expect such a pipe to have?
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I would think that "Herrick-style" is like an unauthorized copy. It may match in specifications, but it is not certified to be the same by Herrick.

[url=mailto:http://w.hornguys.com/parts.php]http://w.hornguys.com/parts.php[/url]

I thought a lot about the H8 for my 891Z, but I never bought one. I blame any shortcomings on the part on the other end of the mouthpiece from the lead pipe (me).
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Very few people have original Herrick pipes, so it is not likely that people will post enough here to give an overall impression of characteristics. From what I can gather, Herrick made pipes to order after talking to the customer and possibly hearing them play. I doubt there is a characteristic to them. I have tried several Herrick mouthpieces and they were all very different... no real house style... and he didn't mark his mouthpieces, so you can often not be sure it is the real thing.
I have a Herrick pipe for bass.... how it compares to the norm ....
It is very free blowing.... standard length physically.... like a modern Conn or Shires B2 or Brassark 62..... it is very slotted with clear attacks... in most of my horns it makes things very bright and commercial, but it suits one of my instruments perfectly. Very different from all my other pipes.
 I have what is supposed to be a Kanstul copy of a Herrick pipe.... this one is very tight, hard down low, but quite mellow.... the opposite of the real one... but it might be a fine copy of a different pipe.

Chris Stearn
ttf_jnoxon

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

Herrick pipes were just straight tapers. No parabolic designs or anything else. Just straight taper.
ttf_jnoxon

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

Herrick pipes were just straight tapers. No parabolic designs or anything else. Just straight taper.

Return to “Instruments”