What do to when your horn is stolen

ttf_Nhaguyanh

Post by ttf_Nhaguyanh »

My trombone was stolen out of my car a couple days ago and i filed a police report and just waiting for them to call back. What do you guys think are things i can do to maybe find my horn, not really expecting to just hoping i can. thanks.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Definitely post more information. Watch ebay, craigslist, and everything else in your area. Make sure that the police have as much information about the horn as humanly possible. This would include serial number, pictures, details etc.

Which of your horns was stolen, and what are the specifications of it? What type of case? The more information you give the community, the better. I would not publicly post the serial number.
ttf_denny seifried

Post by ttf_denny seifried »

Vinnie.......get as complete a description as possible, including unique appearance issues the horn might have, such as where finish wear might be, a serial number minus the last couple of digits (1234xxx) use X's for the last couple of digits for security reasons, what mouthpiece/mouthpieces were in case, what kind/color of case was it in. Put it back in this topic area and the moderators will "sticky" it. Sometimes our members will spot the horn on an area Craigs List or on Ebay.

A big help will be to hit every pawn shop in your area, and then some. Members will often help with this, also.

Good luck!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Do you have receipts with the original serial number on it, as well as your name? Did you take a picture of it, the serial numbers, etc and file it with your insurance company to prove ownership (and to aid in filing a claim)?

You need to establish that you owned the trombone in question. Once it's gone and if you can't prove ownership, then that's it. You can either illegally steal it back, or buy a new trombone.

There have been scammers who've claimed that an instrument was stolen from them but had really just stolen the serial number from this forum. I don't know if they got away with the scam, but it shows that just knowing a serial number is not enough to prove ownership.

It's a good policy to insure items that are worth a lot of money. That really sucks that you got robbed.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Tell us where you live and describe the horn and case in detail! 
ttf_livecat

Post by ttf_livecat »

Make sure the report includes the Make, Model, and serial number.  Assuming the value is over $500 it can be entered into NCIC by your local police.  Include any and all unique features.  Include a case description.  If you don't have the serial number you are SOL. 
ttf_Nhaguyanh

Post by ttf_Nhaguyanh »

The model is : King 3B Silver Sonic Anniversary Model
Bell :serial # 12443XXX
slide : 406xx

It is in a contour protec case.
in the case:
  • [li][/li]
generic cheap black trombone stand
  • [li][/li]
full yamaha silent brass system, the new one
  • [li][/li]
Giddings and webster stainless steel mouthpiece:chubasco
  • [li][/li]
bach corp 7c mouthpiece
  • [li][/li]
green micro-fiber cloth
  • [li][/li]
fold up music stand
  • [li][/li]
yamaha slide lube
[/list]

the trombone has a modified leadpipe. it has a kantsul h8 replica leadpipe
the handle where the leadpipe slots is heavily worn.
slide is relatively new looking
it has an old school king counterweight
like this:http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv27 ... G_2573.jpg
bell is spotty all over.
bought it from the forum i think for $1400, forgot who i bought it from.
i have a signed certificate of authenticity that it once belonged to michael davis of hip-bone music
trombone was stolen in westminster california, and the thief went to a gas station with my cc in huntington beach on the morning of june 14.

anything else i could include?
ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

Troll pawn shops, talk to local repairman (count me talked to),hound the police.

There's a 99% chance that the theif thought it was something valuble, not a trombone, so he's got to sell it somewhere...
ttf_Slod

Post by ttf_Slod »

I got a horn stolen a couple years ago, and I got it back 6 months later thanks to a forum member. The biggest factor in the whole thing is for YOU to do the policing. The Dept. will probably not actually look into it. My horn got pawned off as a no serial number "Jean Baptiste" even though it was a Bach and had a serial number. The police will just check a list of serial numbers that a pawn shop reports.

Check Ebay, Pawn Shops, Craigslist in your area and other areas too.

I hope you find your horn. It may take a week, or it may take 6 months. I believe your horn will find its way back.
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

The theif got your credit card, too?

Tell the cops where he/she has used the card (before you cancelled card, of course) - that could help them!
ttf_fantrombone

Post by ttf_fantrombone »

Quote from: Slod on Jul 13, 2015, 07:17AMCheck Ebay, Pawn Shops, Craigslist in your area and other areas too.

I hope you find your horn. It may take a week, or it may take 6 months. I believe your horn will find its way back.
Most reputable pawn shops do not want stolen horns but they will give a cheap loan on a Great Model without hesitation.  So that horn will be tucked away for up to 6 months if pawned.  Most of the people who steal them are drug heads looking for the 15 dollar fix and will sell your horn outside 7/11 for the 15 dollars. 

If you have pictures, POST them, put ads in Craigslist/Facebook/Twitter etc.. about your horn, visit the pawn shops, salvation army, music stores.  Worst case is they took it to a metal recycler (go there first).......
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Don't notify pawn shops about your stolen horn, they won't go out of their way to return your stolen property (especially if it will or has cost them money).  Go to pawn shops in person and ask them if they have any trombones for sale, don't mention you are looking for a stolen horn, at least not until after they have shown you what they have.  Insuring your instruments is the way to go, your chances of getting one back are pretty slim.  Police are too busy to actively investigate crimes like this.  If they happen to run across it you may get it back, but I've also heard stories of items that were reported stolen sitting in police storage lockers unidentified.  Most police departments are drastically overwhelmed by the amount of crime and stolen property crimes of this nature are relatively low on their priority lists.  I'm not knocking police officers they are just drastically outnumbered and overwhelmed so more serious and violent crimes get the majority of their attention.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Don't notify pawn shops about your stolen horn, they won't go out of their way to return your stolen property (especially if it will or has cost them money).  Go to pawn shops in person and ask them if they have any trombones for sale, don't mention you are looking for a stolen horn, at least not until after they have shown you what they have.  Insuring your instruments is the way to go, your chances of getting one back are pretty slim.  Police are too busy to actively investigate crimes like this.  If they happen to run across it you may get it back, but I've also heard stories of items that were reported stolen sitting in police storage lockers unidentified.  Most police departments are drastically overwhelmed by the amount of crime and stolen property crimes of this nature are relatively low on their priority lists.  I'm not knocking police officers they are just drastically outnumbered and overwhelmed so more serious and violent crimes get the majority of their attention.

Return to “Instruments”