Trying to identify old microphones

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Bought a package of four microphones on a gamble.  All work, but have no markings whatsoever.  They have the curved top like 70s Peavey pbH and Celebrity mikes but the band at the bottom is narrower.  They have a grey mat finish.  I see Astatics on line that have similar bodies but barrel shaped tops instead of the round SM58 type screen on these.    looking for a clue as to what they are  

PM me and I can send pics if the links don't work.  I uploaded pics to Photobucket, it says I must do something to my account to allow for third party hosting.  All I see are plans that cost money. Any clues on how to get around that would be welcome too!

ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: gregs70 on Jan 13, 2018, 04:56PM

PM me and I can send pics if the links don't work.  I uploaded pics to Photobucket, it says I must do something to my account to allow for third party hosting.  All I see are plans that cost money. Any clues on how to get around that would be welcome too!

Tried DropBox?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

If you have Facebook you can put the pics there and use the image links.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: gregs70 on Jan 14, 2018, 11:12AMThanks!  Hope this works...

Well, I guess that didn't work.  Image

Do you see a picture below this...?

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Yep, I saw a picture, two busts.  How do I keep from making my photo inserts a bust?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

To make that appear , I went to Facebook, chose one of my pictures, fullscreened it, right-clicked on it and chose "Copy image location"

Then pasted that link between two image tags

Code:Image
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jan 14, 2018, 08:33PMTo make that appear , I went to Facebook, chose one of my pictures, fullscreened it, right-clicked on it and chose "Copy image location"

Then pasted that link between two image tags

Code:Image
You are a freakin' genius! Image
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Now I can see the mics!

However, mics I know nothing about.
ttf_mwpfoot

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

No markings on the case, capsule, anything?

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: mwpfoot on Jan 15, 2018, 11:00AMNo markings on the case, capsule, anything?

Nope.  Nothing. 
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

I'm on the hunt, gregs! I wanna know too.

I feel like the world of microphones in incredibly deep, and VERY difficult to wade around because most of the mics that are popular now - Neumann U87, C414, SM57/8, Ev RE20 for just a completely random handful of the top of my head - are mics that have dominated pro-industry usage for so many decades that other manufactures are pushed  into obscurity before their names/products were even recognizable.

In a bit of a recording nut though, so I'll keep digging and let you know if I find anything!!!  Image

How do the mics themselves perform, anyhow? Worth the buy?
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

They're just generic dynamic hand held stage mics, with on/off switches, if you use them and they work for you, no problem.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: davdud101 on Today at 06:46 AMI'm on the hunt, gregs! I wanna know too.

I feel like the world of microphones in incredibly deep, and VERY difficult to wade around because most of the mics that are popular now - Neumann U87, C414, SM57/8, Ev RE20 for just a completely random handful of the top of my head - are mics that have dominated pro-industry usage for so many decades that other manufactures are pushed  into obscurity before their names/products were even recognizable.

In a bit of a recording nut though, so I'll keep digging and let you know if I find anything!!!  Image

How do the mics themselves perform, anyhow? Worth the buy?

I just plugged them into a keyboard amp and did the standard "testing, testing" stuff.  Didn't try with a singer or vocalist so really can't address how they perform.  I've got a bag of SM57s for the band and an SM58 for the vocalist; these were part of a package deal of seven mikes at such a price I couldn't pass them up.  Yes, if you find out anything, I would love to know what they are.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Pre59 on Today at 08:27 AMThey're just generic dynamic hand held stage mics, with on/off switches, if you use them and they work for you, no problem.

The bodies look like Astatic JT-8 mikes but have a rounded screen.  I don't know about "generic". 
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astatic-JT-8-Dynamic-Cardioid-Microphone-and-25-Cord-with-XLR-Connector-Ends/253357851696?hash=item3afd4e0430:g:xysAAOSww85aVSyg.  I have plenty of other brand name mikes (Shure, Audio-Technica, CAD) and if I sell these would like to be able to tell the buyer what they are.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: gregs70 on Jan 20, 2018, 12:51PMThe bodies look like Astatic JT-8 mikes but have a rounded screen.  I don't know about "generic". 
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astatic-JT-8-Dynamic-Cardioid-Microphone-and-25-Cord-with-XLR-Connector-Ends/253357851696?hash=item3afd4e0430:g:xysAAOSww85aVSyg.  I have plenty of other brand name mikes (Shure, Audio-Technica, CAD) and if I sell these would like to be able to tell the buyer what they are.

Same seller is also selling a "JT-17" from the same manufacturer that has a larger round windscreen like your mics, but in black instead of grey. That may be your winner!
http://r.ebay.com/K5rsfz
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: davdud101 on Jan 21, 2018, 01:10AM
Same seller is also selling a "JT-17" from the same manufacturer that has a larger round windscreen like your mics, but in black instead of grey. That may be your winner!
http://r.ebay.com/K5rsfz
\

Yeah, I saw those.  The switch is different and the top of the capsule on mine is a solid disk with holes around the perimeter, not mesh.  If the JT-17 and a JT-8 had a love child, that would be what I have!
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: gregs70 on Jan 21, 2018, 10:39AM\

Yeah, I saw those.  The switch is different and the top of the capsule on mine is a solid disk with holes around the perimeter, not mesh.  If the JT-17 and a JT-8 had a love child, that would be what I have!
I wouldn't take the lack of mesh on your capsules to seriously.  That could be because they were discarded, or due to small changes over the production life to the microphone.  Same goes for the switch.  That tulip shaped barrel seems to have been an Astatic 'thing' whenever they made cylindrical hand-held (bullet?) microphones.  Like the CTM-33, the 966, the CTM-44.  Even this one, but it is a departure form the others.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BillO on Jan 21, 2018, 12:31PMI wouldn't take the lack of mesh on your capsules to seriously.  That could be because they were discarded, or due to small changes over the production life to the microphone.  Same goes for the switch.  That tulip shaped barrel seems to have been an Astatic 'thing' whenever they made cylindrical hand-held (bullet?) microphones.  Like the CTM-33, the 966, the CTM-44.  Even this one, but it is a departure form the others.

I'm 95% sure they are Astatics, but that I can't put my finger on a model number is annoying the heck out of me.  I at first thought Peavey PBH https://reverb.com/item/3115382-peavey-pbh-cardioid-dynamic-microphone or something similar
as they have a similar body type, but the switches were different and the band at the bottom was wider.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BillO on Jan 21, 2018, 12:31PMI wouldn't take the lack of mesh on your capsules to seriously.  That could be because they were discarded, or due to small changes over the production life to the microphone.  Same goes for the switch.  That tulip shaped barrel seems to have been an Astatic 'thing' whenever they made cylindrical hand-held (bullet?) microphones.  Like the CTM-33, the 966, the CTM-44.  Even this one, but it is a departure form the others.

I'm 95% sure they are Astatics, but that I can't put my finger on a model number is annoying the heck out of me.  I at first thought Peavey PBH https://reverb.com/item/3115382-peavey-pbh-cardioid-dynamic-microphone or something similar
as they have a similar body type, but the switches were different and the band at the bottom was wider.

Return to “Technology”