New Firefox Quantum

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

So, I just downloaded the New Firefox Quantum. Or, rather my computer updated when I booted up. It seems faster as Mozilla claims. I haven't checked out all the features yet. Supposedly, it's supposed to be a new build verses an overhaul. Is that even possible to implement without shutting down the servers; It's been a while since I studied networking. Anyway, I will say that they've FINALLY given the user the ability to "Duplicate Tab" (clone) without add-ons or keyboard input; Just right-click and select. A much needed and long over due feature in my opinion.
ttf_Matt K

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Yeah I'm digging the new update.  Much leaner than it used to be.  They overhauled a lot of the backend, which is why some legacy extensions no longer work... but also why its much leaner now. They removed a lot of bloat. 

As far as pushing out a patch vs. a new application, the procedure isn't all that different. And for high-volume downloads like Firefox, they have the updates cached on various locations throughout the world so you don't have to have your machine go all the way to, say, their California server to get it. And most places like that also have scalable infrastructure, so in other words, if they're getting his particularly hard, more servers fire up and deliver the content. Then when the demand subsides, so too do the servers.
ttf_SilverBone

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I've been using the new Firefox for a few days now, and overall I'm quite pleased with it. It is noticeably faster.

The most important add-ons to me are Quantum-compatible, or I was able to find a Quantum-compatible substitute.

The add-on I miss the most is Tab Mix Plus.

There are a couple minor GUI annoyances (square tabs, tabs insist on positioning above the URL bar) that I was able to address with userChrome.

I have not yet found a way to have an Add On Bar, a real replacement for Lazarus (which has been dead for a while prior to Quantum - TextAreaCache is sort of a replacement), or a downloads window.  None of these are deal-killers.

Haha, Lazarus is dead...
ttf_SilverBone

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Forgot to say about two more fixable annoyances:

By default a new tab is opened to the right of the active tab.  But I want the new tab to be far right:  In about:config, browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent set false.

The default display on a new page was very annoying to me.  Start a new page and click the gear icon in the upper right to clean it up.  I disabled everything to my new page starts out blank.

ttf_BGuttman

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Maybe I'm missing something.

My Linux Mint system decided tu upgrade me to Firefox Quantum.  It's pretty much like the old one, but --

I used to have a direct link to bookmarks (next to the star in the URL window).  Now it seems I have to open the Library to get to the list of bookmarks (along with a number of other things that used to be in the Utilities button).

Is there a tweak so I can make it like it was?
ttf_Posaunus

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 22, 2017, 11:59AMI used to have a direct link to bookmarks (next to the star in the URL window).  Now it seems I have to open the Library to get to the list of bookmarks (along with a number of other things that used to be in the Utilities button).

Is there a tweak so I can make it like it was?

Had the same problem.  Solution: Right-click in the top line (to the right of your tabs) and select "Menu Bar" - voilà - the old options return (File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help).  Prayer answered! 
ttf_BGuttman

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Found another solution.  Under the Utilities tab (3 horizontal bars) there is something called "Customization".  You can drag icons to the URL bar that do different things.  I found one that does bookmarks.  Also added one that does scale since I often toggle between 80% and 125% (and anything in between).

Actually better than the old thing! Image
ttf_BGuttman

New Firefox Quantum

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Found another solution.  Under the Utilities tab (3 horizontal bars) there is something called "Customization".  You can drag icons to the URL bar that do different things.  I found one that does bookmarks.  Also added one that does scale since I often toggle between 80% and 125% (and anything in between).

Actually better than the old thing! Image

Return to “Technology”