Mics with lightning connector

ttf_NCC1701

Post by ttf_NCC1701 »

Looking for recommendations for something better than the built-in iPad Mini 4 mic for recording my practice sessions and the occasional live concert band gig. Not really interested in a separate interface/mic at this point. Hobbyist quality is fine. Thanks!
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

A USB mic and lightning-to-USB cable will probably be less expensive and more versatile (and give you better results) than a dedicated lightning mic. Or, if you already have (or have access to) a decent XLR mic, you can pick up a lightning-to-XLR cable for about the same money as a crappy dedicated lightning mic.
ttf_NCC1701

Post by ttf_NCC1701 »

Quote from: fsung on Jun 16, 2017, 01:06PMA USB mic and lightning-to-USB cable will probably be less expensive and more versatile (and give you better results) than a dedicated lightning mic. Or, if you already have (or have access to) a decent XLR mic, you can pick up a lightning-to-XLR cable for about the same money as a crappy dedicated lightning mic.

Looking for a cable free setup. Forgot to mention that. Thanks though.
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: NCC1701 on Jun 16, 2017, 01:40PM
Looking for a cable free setup. Forgot to mention that. Thanks though.

You may find you're better off with one the hand-held-type recorders, like those from Zoom and Tascam.  There are several threads about these; I have the Tascam DR-07 Mk II. It was cheap, it remains reliable after about 5 years and the recording quality is actually pretty good.
ttf_NCC1701

Post by ttf_NCC1701 »

Quote from: growlerbox on Jun 16, 2017, 01:50PMYou may find you're better off with one the hand-held-type recorders, like those from Zoom and Tascam.  There are several threads about these; I have the Tascam DR-07 Mk II. It was cheap, it remains reliable after about 5 years and the recording quality is actually pretty good.

Had a DR05 for a while and gave it away. The screen is way too small on that and the other tascam recorders I've checked out. I have the ipad mounted on a tripod, software that I like and would like a cable free lightning solution.
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: NCC1701 on Jun 16, 2017, 08:21PMHad a DR05 for a while and gave it away. The screen is way too small on that and the other tascam recorders I've checked out. I have the ipad mounted on a tripod, software that I like and want a cable free lightning solution.

Fair enough.  Seems like a tall order, but I'll be interested to see what you find.  Good luck! and keep us posted.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

growlerbox writes:

> You may find you're better off with one the hand-held-type
> recorders, like those from Zoom and Tascam.

A Zoom IQ6, the same stereo mic array used on the Zoom H4n but with a lightning connector, goes for around a hundred bucks.

ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

growlerbox writes:

> You may find you're better off with one the hand-held-type
> recorders, like those from Zoom and Tascam.

A Zoom IQ6, the same stereo mic array used on the Zoom H4n but with a lightning connector, goes for around a hundred bucks.

Return to “Technology”