The most recommended trombone techs

ttf_Jvera95

Post by ttf_Jvera95 »

I just wanted you guys to list the most recommended Trombone techs in North America, I think this thread may serve as a great tool for anyone who may be snooping around for a tech to work on their horn.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This is a moving target.  I keep meeting great techs on this Forum and outside all the time.

Everybody has their favorites.  Fortunately, they are scattered around this country (and Europe) so you should be able to find one within a couple of hours' drive.

My personal favorite (mainly because he's close) is Jim Becker at Osmun Brass.  But he's not the best -- I don't think anybody can be the best just like you can't find the "best trombonist".  Everyone has some aspects where they might be better than some others.
ttf_Jvera95

Post by ttf_Jvera95 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 21, 2012, 06:56AM I don't think anybody can be the best just like you can't find the "best trombonist".  Everyone has some aspects where they might be better than some others.
You have a good point, I changed the name to "most recommended". Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It depends on what is being done to the horn too.  For rotor stuff, I almost always use Ted Woehr in Pittsburgh, just as an example. But I've used at least 6 different techs for different things.  
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've had some repairs made by forum techs (all with fantastic results)...
I'd suggest either of these... (in no certain order)
Eric Edwards
John Sandhegan
Benn Hanson

There are others on here, which are probably just as stellar, these are just the 3 I have had work on horns.

I've heard Bob Hester is amazing, BAC Horn Doctor, Dan Obherloh, Omsum, Brass Lab, Rob Stewart,.... this list could go on, and on...  Image

I do have 3 places I will NEVER send another horn to. I won't list them here, but will be glad to answer a PM if you are interested to know.

T.
ttf_Dennis Clason

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

Eric Edwards in the Dallas area (he's on the forum) does wonderful work.  I have a Bach bass he built that is an amazingly good horn.

Jim and Cora Patterson (Patterson Horn Works) are horn builders in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  But they also do general brass repair and they do great work as well.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My Bach 42B had a slide job done by Eric Edwards, wish I lived in the dallas area, so he can be my #1 tech to go to.

Here in southern california, I go to Don Sawday. Both my Bach's have been through his shop, and I can't be more happy with the both the horns.

Would be nice to have a road map of all the techs in the country, their out there. 
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Benn Hanson Issaquah WA
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Here in my end of the world, The ONLY person I will take my horns to is Paul Able at the Able Brass Works. Paul an exceptional repair tech and he`s also a Bass Trombonist so he really knows trombones.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Dukesbonesman suggested I take a Bach 42B slide to Paul Able that no one in town could get to work smoothly.  Paul spent roughly 15 minutes on it while I waited and it is like glass. All my horns have gone to Paul for him to look over and I will not taken them anywhere else.

ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Let me put in a good word for Andy Frobig of Frobig Wind Repair in Manhattan.  I've had him do a couple of slide adjustments on both dual and single bore basses and have been extremely pleased with the results. He's fast, thorough and nice to talk to as well.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here in SoCal my slit is as follows...

In no particular order.

John Sandhagen
Bruce Belo
Rob Stewart
Don Sawday

John does most of my work. Bruce is one of three people who have and maybe ever will touch my slide (the others being John Sandhagen and late great Larry Minick). Only downside to Rob is how long he can take to get to your stuff. Rob does however IMNSHO do the best lacquer jobs out there.

ttf_Jox

Post by ttf_Jox »

Do you need a tech in Central Florida? I hear Claude Kashnig is the man
ttf_Jvera95

Post by ttf_Jvera95 »

Quote from: Jox on Nov 25, 2012, 02:56PM Do you need a tech in Central Florida? I hear Claude Kashnig is the man
I have sent my horn to him before he's awesome Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've sent some pretzels to the Slide Doctor (John Upchurch) and he's straightened them out wonderfully.

I would certainly recommend him.

Cheers,

Slide Bender in Waldport
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

For slide work in this part of the world? John Sandhagen or Bruce Belo. Of course, they do great general repairs, too.

One exception: No disrespect to John and Bruce, but if I needed a full-on, historically accurate restoration, it'd go to Robb Stewart. It's his specialty, and he's really good at it.

There are other techs in the area that I've heard good things about (Brad Close, for example), but I'm not personally familiar with the work, so I won't comment on it.
ttf_Patrick Bates

Post by ttf_Patrick Bates »

Best trombone guy in my part of the world is Ron Partch in Toronto. Fixed a couple of disasters for me!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A second vote for Ron Partch in Toronto. The guy is a repair god! And one of the nicest people you will ever meet!
ttf_Frank Longino

Post by ttf_Frank Longino »

Does anybody have any recommendations for the Raleigh, North Carolina area?
ttf_Mahlerbone

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

In Connecticut, I recommend Bill Korzick in North Haven.
ttf_gmorganbrass

Post by ttf_gmorganbrass »

The guys at BAC Horn Doctor do really great work. (Olathe, Kansas)

They're also willing to do just about any kind of ridiculous custom work you can think of, so if you have any crazy ideas, go to them.
ttf_Orffbone

Post by ttf_Orffbone »

I just got a Bach 42 slide back from Aaron Chandler----Acme Trombones in St. Louis.  My local repair guy could not make it happen, but AC did it!!   Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Frank Longino on Nov 27, 2012, 09:08AMDoes anybody have any recommendations for the Raleigh, North Carolina area?
Contact forum member "Cush".
He lives in Durham, and I think works in Raleigh.
He has told me he has a good repair guy down there, so he could point ya in the right direction.
I'm 3 hrs due west of Raleigh.

T.
ttf_BiggieSmalls

Post by ttf_BiggieSmalls »

Quote from: Orffbone on Nov 27, 2012, 02:03PMI just got a Bach 42 slide back from Aaron Chandler----Acme Trombones in St. Louis.  My local repair guy could not make it happen, but AC did it!!   Image

Aaron's slide work is second to none, absolutely the best slide tech I've used. Be sure to get him to commit to a finish date- he can be slower than cold molasses, because he's playing a lot of gigs these days Image
ttf_Michael Medrick

Post by ttf_Michael Medrick »

Quote from: tsmart on Nov 21, 2012, 08:46AMI've had some repairs made by forum techs (all with fantastic results)...
I'd suggest either of these... (in no certain order)
Eric Edwards
John Sandhegan
Benn Hanson

T.

Well said,!
These guy are super !    Don't get me started about the  custom Bach 36 G with a G attachment Eric built for me.  I actually care about tenor trombones with extra triggers again.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Nov 23, 2012, 09:28AMHere in my end of the world, The ONLY person I will take my horns to is Paul Able at the Able Brass Works. Paul an exceptional repair tech and he`s also a Bass Trombonist so he really knows trombones.
I'd second Paul Able here in Rochester NY, does great work!!!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

In Houston: Lauren Davies. Amazing work on slides!
ttf_MaestroHound

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

Wisconsin: Brian Russell (google "Russell Winds"). Formerly of Greenhoe. He's just finished a major project of making a saxophone playable with one hand, so his turnaround time will be pretty quick now, too!
ttf_DaveBb

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

Quote from: MaestroHound on Dec 10, 2012, 07:24AMWisconsin: Brian Russell (google "Russell Winds"). Formerly of Greenhoe. He's just finished a major project of making a saxophone playable with one hand, so his turnaround time will be pretty quick now, too!

Wow. I wonder how good he would be with two hands !
(Couldn't resist)
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Quote from: Mahlerbone on Nov 27, 2012, 10:09AMIn Connecticut, I recommend Bill Korzick in North Haven.

Bill's an absolute stickler for precise work, at the time he did stuff for me, you almost had to have a reference to go to him, Ben Griffin vouched for me (by lying, I assume).

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I would like to endorse the work of Scott Snyder at Buddy Rodgers Music in Cincinnati, OH.  I've been working with him for the 14 years I've been in the Cincinnati area.  He's done a lot of slide work for me.... I'm VERY pickey.  He has always made my slides as smooth as glass  Image

Regards,
Teeeeeeee-BONE
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Chuck Ward in Chardon, OH does first-rate work, and given his relationship with people at the Eastlake plant (assuming it's still intact), the only guy I'd consider to work on an old King (he has access to original, old parts).
ttf_dbdicker

Post by ttf_dbdicker »

Only quickly mentioned here already but deserves full kudos: Chuck McAlexander of Brasslab, formerly on the Westside of Manhattan, now in Brooklyn -- my go to guy for decades.......
ttf_JLivorsi

Post by ttf_JLivorsi »

Surprisingly there aren't many repair guys in Chicago, but outside of the city I highly recommend

Matt Johnson at Bandsource
and
Dana Hofer (based out of his house in Des Plaines)
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Dec 09, 2012, 09:46PMIn Houston: Lauren Davies. Amazing work on slides!

I can attest to the quality of his work.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

In the NYC area?

In no particular order...they are all very good:

Chuck McAlexander
Terry Pierce
Josh Landress

I have also heard good things about Wayne Tanabe, but he's at the Yamaha store and I don't know if he is free to work on other horns.

I mostly go to Terry Pierce, but it's a matter of convenience as much as anything else...he lives fairly close to me. I would trust any of them with any work that I needed done on a brass instrument.

S.

P.S. Bob Hester in Texas is as knowledgeable a brass guy as I have ever talked to. I would trust him with anything as well. Bet on it.
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Wayne does do some work on other horns, but I'd check with him first, as he's wicked busy and not always in town.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I suggest you add Chuck McAlexander at The Brasslab in New York to your trombone tech list.  He's more than capable to fix all things trombone and is particularly good at slide work. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Chuck, you've only been mentioned in at least 6 of the posts above. Image

ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Before I left Texas, I had Eric Swanson (bass trombone, Dallas Opera) work on my horn to fix some general repairs and some flight damage after I had to gate check my horn.  Awesome guy, can do complex repairs.  He does repairs for just about all of the brass in the Dallas Symphony, plus a lot of work with the Ft. Worth SO guys too.  He works out of his house somewhere in the DFW suburbs (I want to say Irving, but maybe not).

Anybody have names for North Florida/South Georgia?  I don't need repairs right now, but it would be great to have some in my phone book just in case.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Etshinn on Feb 14, 2013, 02:08PMBefore I left Texas, I had Eric Swanson (bass trombone, Dallas Opera) work on my horn to fix some general repairs and some flight damage after I had to gate check my horn.  Awesome guy, can do complex repairs.  He does repairs for just about all of the brass in the Dallas Symphony, plus a lot of work with the Ft. Worth SO guys too.  He works out of his house somewhere in the DFW suburbs (I want to say Irving, but maybe not).

Eric lives in Hurst, between Ft Worth and Dallas (part of the "mid cities" cluster of HEB (Hurst, Euless, and Bedford).

I have known him for a long time. We played in Slide Advantage, a 5 trombone and rhythm jazz group that we founded at then-NTSU in Denton. (late 70s).

I concur, he is an excellent repairman with that expected eye for detail that all the best ones have. And his is a fine trombone player. I see him in he studio frequently. And of course he plays bass bone in the Dallas Opera Orchestra for many years now.

But this is about repairmen, sorry!

He and my other favorite repairman named Eric (Edwards) are at the top of my list. Depending on their availability and the convenience of wherever I am in the area, I patronize their workshops frequently.

We are spoiled down here to have two guys that are uber-capable of doing not only the mundane dent removal jobs, but those custom projects too.  Image

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Storminnorman on Nov 27, 2012, 08:58AMA second vote for Ron Partch in Toronto. The guy is a repair god! And one of the nicest people you will ever meet!

I just had Ron do some work on all 3 of my horns. The man is a genius and truly a gentleman.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

What about ohio? Mainly the Dayton area?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The slide doctor does great work.  He resurrected the slide on my King 606, making my first horn a joy to play again.
ttf_connman93

Post by ttf_connman93 »

Anybody in Michigan or Northern Ohio or Indiana?
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

How about in the SF Bay Area?
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

The only guy that I have seen improve a slide from Edwards. He does custom work. He designs horns. Does custom design for Custom Music /Tuba World. He made a brace for my Edwards F attachment that unloaded the pressure on the horn. He reassembled my Bach bass bone so it plays like a dream and created custom linkage after I broke my thumb. Also made the second valve into a C back before inline valves were common. He made a linkage to move the tuning slide on my euphonium. (now it is in tune as my trombone is.) Being a technical person and technical manager myself with a past career working with machinery I can recognize a persons skills by there work.

This should be considered a serious endorsement.

Kevin Powers
Michigan Musical 
3151 N. Custer
Monroe MI 48162
734/242-4914   
cell734/915-5606

ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anybody in Northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Draco on Mar 21, 2013, 07:24AMAnybody in Northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri?

I think you may have to look at Aaron Chandler (St. Louis?) or Mike Corrigan -- BAC Horndoctor (near Kansas City, but in Kansas).  I know they are central north to south, but I don't know anybody in Springfield.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”