The most recommended trombone techs

ttf_phonyreal98

Post by ttf_phonyreal98 »

Suggestions for Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa?
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Quote from: phonyreal98 on Oct 24, 2014, 09:26AMSuggestions for Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa?

Yes: Send it to one of the many highly recommended brass techs who live somewhere else!

Sending an instrument via USPS or UPS is easy to do, I've never had any issues with doing so over roughly 20 years, and I'm not sure that an "in person" meeting with the brass tech improves the quality of the result, unless he's doing a modification for you that requires the two of you to go back and forth on things.
ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Waterloo is in North Central Iowa, but Merlin Grady's shop is right off US 20 and only 266 miles east of Sioux City according to the official Iowa map.  Not a long trip from most places in eastern Nebraska-western Iowa.  He's a master tech-- see the endorsements--http://merlingrady.com/testimonials.html.
ttf_fantrombone

Post by ttf_fantrombone »

Quote from: JohnL on Mar 21, 2013, 07:14AMA&G Music/Best Instrument Repair
Nope Dick is retired.  Its ok for dent banging and spit valve repair but not slide repair.
ttf_tmmytm1

Post by ttf_tmmytm1 »

Dana Hofer in Chicagoland

danahoferbrassrepair.com
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Chuck McAlexander is a favorite for a lot of players in the NYC area,I've used him a few times and he does very nice work. If anyone comes through Long Island, Gil Brynes in Deer Park is great and does work fast.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Houston area recommendations  for slide work ?
ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

The Slide Doctor from anywhere in the US.  I send him a slide via UPS and he does magic, and I get it back about a week later!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

In Houston: Lauren Davies at H&H on 1960. Best in town and only guy I let work on my horns!
ttf_SilverSonic

Post by ttf_SilverSonic »

More good words for John Sandhagen- he took my Delta-battered 3B Silversonic, fixed the bell damage and converted it to a screw bell. Excellent work.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Apr 22, 2015, 09:05AMIn Houston: Lauren Davies at H&H on 1960. Best in town and only guy I let work on my horns!

Dude!!?!  You said you'd love me forever!

That's what I get for trusting a bass trombonist I guess....

8)

Eric

ttf_HouBassTrombone

Ok only guy in Houston I let touch my horns!! Eric Edwards is the man and it is worth driving to see him!
ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

And the best from around the world?.......
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Mick Rath in the UK is pretty highly regarded.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Duffle on Apr 24, 2015, 03:09AMAnd the best from around the world?.......

This become like a "who's the best trombone player in the world" kind of question.

There is no one trombone player who is better than everybody else in all aspects.

We have a number of folks here who are extremely talented craftsmen and there are others around the world.  I've heard good things about Renee Hagmann in Switzerland.  I'm sure there are others out there I don't know.

From a practical standpoint, I'd recommend finding a good guy nearby and giving him most of your work.  Folks who are far away and are good with custom stuff can be called upon when needed.
ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 24, 2015, 07:43AMThis become like a "who's the best trombone player in the world" kind of question.

There is no one trombone player who is better than everybody else in all aspects.

We have a number of folks here who are extremely talented craftsmen and there are others around the world.  I've heard good things about Renee Hagmann in Switzerland.  I'm sure there are others out there I don't know.

From a practical standpoint, I'd recommend finding a good guy nearby and giving him most of your work.  Folks who are far away and are good with custom stuff can be called upon when needed.

Maybe not 'best' meaning 'the best' but the better ones or the ones most highly regarded by members from around the world.......

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Another  Image for Ron Parch in Toronto.

He's the only tech I have used since high school, and have never had a reason to go elsewhere.  His slide work really is magic.  His cost is always lower than I expect too.  Either he is very fair or a genius at setting expectations.
ttf_Johnston93

Post by ttf_Johnston93 »

For those in and around Connecticut, David Zoni does a great job of repairing brass instruments especially trombones. He's fixed problems with my 42 a number of different times for a few years now, and never lets me go without fixing something else for free as well.
ttf_BiggieSmalls

Post by ttf_BiggieSmalls »

For anyone near Montgomery, Alabama:

Adam Jones
[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Adam overhauled half a dozen horns for me during the couple of years he lived here in Santa Fe, and his work is top notch. Adam did a beautiful job rolling out a crinkled bell that I thought was beyond hope, and he rebuilt several sketchy slides that turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. His rates are VERY reasonable. Great sax work as well; he does sax work for some of the top players in Nashville. Highly recommended!

He's also a pretty darn good trombonist...
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Just thought I'd put another plug in here for the guys at Dillon Music, Fred, Josh, and Matt.  They do great work, and do it fast.  I broke the linkage on my Kanstul 1570 by being an idiot, and pressed on the lever too hard when trying to get the witness marks to line up after re-seating a bumper. I figured I could press it in that way. WRONG.

The silver-soldered joint between the steel bar and brass spring fitting let go.

I brought it in last Thursday, it was Done on Monday, and I picked it up Yesterday. It looks like it was never even broken. Heck it's probably better assembled now than it was at the factory.

And for slides, Fred has "the touch". All of my slides are awesome, and he's the reason.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A7G is swamped, and I can't give them my horn for a week. Anyone else in SF? THANKS!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Jim Langenburg fixed a nasty dent on one of my horns for $20. Looks beautiful. Nice guy, for anyone in northern Illinois. http://www.brazenbandworks.com/
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I recently had my catastrophically damaged slide repaired by The Slide Doctor (Ray Splawn) of 5290 Dunroven Way.Dawsonville, Georgia [ray @slidedr.com / www.slidedr.com] and he transformed my Yamaha YSL-8820 Xeno slide from a unusable hunk of brass into a better than new slide.   His price was VERY reasonable.  I hope I never require his services again but, if I do, I will gladly trust him with my horn.  I could not have expected more from any repairman.  He is very busy so be prepared to wait for your slide.  I waited six weeks but it was more than worth it.  I recommend him without reservation.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Anyone have suggestions for repair folks in/near the following cities:

Albany, NY
Boston
Rochester, NY
Pittsburgh, PA

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Here in metro Boston check Osmun Brass in Acton.  Jim Becker is my go-to man.

Also in Boston is Ken Pope.

For more routine work in Nashua New Hampshire is David Bailey.  If any of your woodwind friends need work, David is SUPER.  If you need any details feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Note that in previous posts here there are recommendations for Rochester and Pittsburgh.  For Rochester, look for a post by Radar.
ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

D/FW area has good trombone repairmen.

Eric Edwards
Eric Swanson

Bob Hester is down near Houston. He is very good too.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

I don't mean to say anything bad but I thought Bob Hester had passed away? If I am wrong then I am very sorry.
ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Sep 29, 2016, 04:52PMI don't mean to say anything bad but I thought Bob Hester had passed away? If I am wrong then I am very sorry.
Just talked to him the other day and received emails this week too.

He is doing well.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 29, 2016, 03:30PMHere in metro Boston check Osmun Brass in Acton.  Jim Becker is my go-to man.

Also in Boston is Ken Pope.

For more routine work in Nashua New Hampshire is David Bailey.  If any of your woodwind friends need work, David is SUPER.  If you need any details feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Note that in previous posts here there are recommendations for Rochester and Pittsburgh.  For Rochester, look for a post by Radar.

Thank you Bruce!
I'm sorry about that, I trolled very carefully for Albany and Boston but was less careful for Rochester and Pitt. I'll go back and look again.  Image
ttf_HouBassTrombone

That is great to hear! He did repair on my horns years ago and I must have just heard wrong! Great guy!
ttf_Emisaumell

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

South Florida?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: John the Theologian on Oct 24, 2014, 11:11PMWaterloo is in North Central Iowa, but Merlin Grady's shop is right off US 20 and only 266 miles east of Sioux City according to the official Iowa map.  Not a long trip from most places in eastern Nebraska-western Iowa.  He's a master tech-- see the endorsements--http://merlingrady.com/testimonials.html.

One more vote for Merlin.  He's looking at retirement, so make sure you sweeten the pot and gush a little.  But yes, he's very good!
ttf_puma

Post by ttf_puma »

Quote from: Yamaha Player on Jun 02, 2016, 06:44PMI recently had my catastrophically damaged slide repaired by The Slide Doctor (Ray Splawn) of 5290 Dunroven Way.Dawsonville, Georgia [ray @slidedr.com / www.slidedr.com] and he transformed my Yamaha YSL-8820 Xeno slide from a unusable hunk of brass into a better than new slide.   His price was VERY reasonable.  I hope I never require his services again but, if I do, I will gladly trust him with my horn.  I could not have expected more from any repairman.  He is very busy so be prepared to wait for your slide.  I waited six weeks but it was more than worth it.  I recommend him without reservation.
I just got my Edwards T350 slide back from Ray last month. Although not catastrophic, the slide has not been serviced since 2004. It is in great condition, and the shipping process was very easy and reasonably priced. Ray included a detailed list of each item checked and/or repaired (bowed outer and inner tubes, geometry correction to the hand slide, adjusted brace bar, etc.) He also greased and cleaned the removable lead pipe, realigned the water key, replaced the pad and spring, rubber crook bumper, adn felts in each cork barrel. The whole process took about 5 weeks, but was well worth the wait.
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

Is there any good repair techs in Baltimore/DC?   

I have a 2B SS i would like to have a slide built for, and a 2B that I'd like them the check out some of the acid bleed on.  (unless its red rot)
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: SKAzz on Dec 13, 2016, 06:40AMIs there any good repair techs in Baltimore/DC?   

I have a 2B SS i would like to have a slide built for, and a 2B that I'd like them the check out some of the acid bleed on.  (unless its red rot)

Todd Clontz
ttf_Johnston93

Post by ttf_Johnston93 »

For those in and around CHICAGO:

- http://www.danahoferbrassrepair.com/
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Any recommendations for repair techs in Minnesota or Wisconsin? Thanks!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: snieckarz on Jan 27, 2017, 08:42AMAny recommendations for repair techs in Minnesota or Wisconsin? Thanks!

Brian Russell of Russell Winds (if he is still operating -- he's now with Schilke-Greenhoe)
M&W Custom

Both in Wisconsin, a little north of Chicago.

ttf_Frank Longino

Post by ttf_Frank Longino »

Great new(ish) tech in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.

Scott Sweeney of Sweeney Brass.  A great tech and an excellent bass and tenor trombone player.  The best slide tech I have ever had work on my horns.  He made a severely damaged, completely unplayable Olds Recording slide of mine playable again.  Also a great brass tech in general.  He did some great work on my King 1241 tuba.  Check him out.

http://www.sweeneybrass.com/

ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Just got my Kanstul 1570 slide back from Eric Edwards, and he did a phenomenal job, both structurally and cosmetically. Turn around time was good, and he was able to source the kanstul slide tube. He was great to work with, and I would highly recommend him to anyone. I'm in NJ, and shipped my slide out to him to be fixed.
ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

I want to point out that the slide doctor, Ray Splawn, takes in the slides from all over the country, if not the world. Anyone can ship him a slide and expect to get it back better than it ever was new. I have been using their service since Dr. Upchurch, the original slide doctor, started it many years ago. My advice is to call first and find out what kind of schedule they are on so that you can get your slide out and back in a timely fashion . The slide doctor can also sell you for a very reasonable price a wooden and the foam case to ship your slide in. It's worth twice the money and is very well protected.

If you can afford the one to five weeks it will take to get your slides done by the slide doctor, do it! It's the best I have ever run across in my 40 years as a professional player. You will know the exact cost going into it and coming out of it . They have a guarantee: if it's not right, or done to the level of your satisfaction as they said it would be, you don't have to pay for the work. They've never had anyone not pay...it's always that good.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: daveyboy37 on Mar 30, 2017, 08:30AMJust got my Kanstul 1570 slide back from Eric Edwards, and he did a phenomenal job, both structurally and cosmetically. Turn around time was good, and he was able to source the kanstul slide tube. He was great to work with, and I would highly recommend him to anyone. I'm in NJ, and shipped my slide out to him to be fixed.

Thank you David!!!

Eric
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Minneapolis/St. Paul area: Eric Peterson.

Hands down the best repair tech I've worked with, been going to him for over a decade. Absolute genius, super nice guy, and very reasonably priced.

I had him build my Bach Corp. 42 project (thayer install, new slide outer tubes, custom tuning slide/leadpipe, new slide end crook) and it was phenomenal. He's also gotten me out of a bind with lots of last minute work before.
ttf_salsabone

Post by ttf_salsabone »

What techs would you recommend in the Philly, Del county, northern Del area.  I am specifically looking for those techs that can handle rotor servicing and repair and fixing solder joints on a horn.  Thanks,
Kevin
ttf_Rich C

Post by ttf_Rich C »

Kevin,  Marc at Accent Music does a decent job.  He works out of their store on Kirkwood Highwy.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: ssking2b on Apr 05, 2017, 05:27AMI want to point out that the slide doctor, Ray Splawn, takes in the slides from all over the country, if not the world. Anyone can ship him a slide and expect to get it back better than it ever was new. I have been using their service since Dr. Upchurch, the original slide doctor, started it many years ago. My advice is to call first and find out what kind of schedule they are on so that you can get your slide out and back in a timely fashion . The slide doctor can also sell you for a very reasonable price a wooden and the foam case to ship your slide in. It's worth twice the money and is very well protected.

If you can afford the one to five weeks it will take to get your slides done by the slide doctor, do it! It's the best I have ever run across in my 40 years as a professional player. You will know the exact cost going into it and coming out of it . They have a guarantee: if it's not right, or done to the level of your satisfaction as they said it would be, you don't have to pay for the work. They've never had anyone not pay...it's always that good.

+1 for the Slide Doctor

The Slide Doctor (Ray Splawn)can resurrect almost any slide. It's his specialty. I took a Bach 42 slide in that two other techs basically took a pass on. One quoted a minimum of $300 (if he could manage to save one inner tube) and the other said I should look for a another slide. They both have about 30 years experience a piece. They're both knowledgeable and highly recommended, but didn't think it could be done. Ray did it, saving the original parts, for his basic "setup" ($145) price.
ttf_G. Martin Nichols

Post by ttf_G. Martin Nichols »

Quote from: Jvera95 on Nov 26, 2012, 02:04PMI have sent my horn to him before he's awesome Image
Can you post contact info for him? I'm on the Space Coast Florida.
ttf_sacfxdx

Post by ttf_sacfxdx »

If you mean the slide doctor then here it is:  http://slidedr.com
ttf_dershem

Post by ttf_dershem »

+1
I used to go to Dick almost exclusively (and I live in San Diego).
For slides, Bruce Belo is amazing.
And I have a local tech (Jim Reeves) who is very good at most stuff.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: dershem on Nov 04, 2017, 06:51PM+1
I used to go to Dick almost exclusively (and I live in San Diego).
For slides, Bruce Belo is amazing.
And I have a local tech (Jim Reeves) who is very good at most stuff.

Dick is out of retirement, by the way.  He is there Mon and Tue and other random times depending on work load.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”