The most recommended trombone techs

ttf_Orffbone

Post by ttf_Orffbone »

While we're on the subject:  any recommendations for exquisite and artful refinishing?

ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

Anyone have re-lacquering done in the DC/Baltimore area?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I will have to go with Eric Edwards on this one.

He was Dennis Smith's repairman of choice, so that's how I found him. He's a fantastic man.

He is fair on prices, does phenomenal work AND he's close to home  Image

I have also used Eric Swanson. Both Eric's are amazing at what they do. Either one would be a solid choice if you need work in the Dallas area.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: PosauneFreak on Apr 12, 2013, 08:15AMI will have to go with Eric Edwards on this one.
He was Dennis Smith's repairman of choice, so that's how I found him. He's a fantastic man.
He is fair on prices, does phenomenal work AND he's close to home  Image
I have also used Eric Swanson. Both Eric's are amazing at what they do. Either one would be a solid choice if you need work in the Dallas area.

Thank you Sir!!

Eric

ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I need a new recommendation for a great tech in Portland, OR, since Randy Mueller left town.  I'm happy with Benn Hanson in Seattle, but it's a long drive for simpler repairs.
ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Quote from: connman93 on Feb 28, 2013, 08:27PMAnybody in Michigan or Northern Ohio or Indiana?

Chuck Ward who was mentioned earlier on here does great work. http://chuckwardbrass.com/. He's based in Chardon, which is just East of Cleveland.

Still trying looking for a North Florida/South Georgia tech if anybody has one.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on a North Florida tech/resto guy as well... 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Does anyone know of any good techs in Georgia, or the Atlanta metro area?
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

Greg Tyson @ Music and Arts APex (Raleigh NC)
Chuck Ward in Ohio Image
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

Quote from: SilverBone on Apr 13, 2013, 02:15AMI need a new recommendation for a great tech in Portland, OR, since Randy Mueller left town.  I'm happy with Benn Hanson in Seattle, but it's a long drive for simpler repairs.

Tacoma: Ken at Highland Hill Music Center on 6th Ave. He's a magician with slides. 

I'll also 2nd or 3rd the Slide Dr.

My 3 cents. (inflation)
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 21, 2012, 06:56AMThis is a moving target.  I keep meeting great techs on this Forum and outside all the time.

Everybody has their favorites.  Fortunately, they are scattered around this country (and Europe) so you should be able to find one within a couple of hours' drive.

My personal favorite (mainly because he's close) is Jim Becker at Osmun Brass.  But he's not the best -- I don't think anybody can be the best just like you can't find the "best trombonist".  Everyone has some aspects where they might be better than some others.

Jim works on my trumpets and I always get consistently excellent work from him. He just rebuilt the valves on my main trumpet and they're fabulous.  He's also advising me and will probably end up doing the work
to help me with an ergonomic problem with my valve trombone.

If you're in New England (or can ship) I can't recommend Jim and the Osmun guys highly enough....

keith
ttf_Offbass

Post by ttf_Offbass »

Mentioned before, but I want to put in a strongly favorable vote for The Slide Doctor of Dawsonville, GA.  They did a beautiful job on my 1946 F.E. Olds Super, dual bore fluted slide, and their shipping container arrangements are top notch.
ttf_slidemansailor

Post by ttf_slidemansailor »

I'd ask about recommendations for Montana, but I suspect few even know where Montana is, let alone that there are bones in them thar hills.

I'm probably in the area of mail-order darn-near everything.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Does anyone know of a tech in or near Duval County, Fl who is good with slides and can do light custom work? I need some minor repairs done on mt slide and am interested in switching to the saturn water key.
ttf_JustinM

Post by ttf_JustinM »

Quote from: Matt K on Nov 21, 2012, 07:11AMIt depends on what is being done to the horn too.  For rotor stuff, I almost always use Ted Woehr in Pittsburgh, just as an example. But I've used at least 6 different techs for different things.  

Ted does really good work. He has a reputation for giving free lectures with your repair work, though, so if you don't want to hear about how you're ruining your instrument, don't go there. You also need to keep in mind that he's a string player and has some misconceptions about what makes a brass instrument work well.

Still, if you have a specific job, he's a very good option.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: JustinM on Sep 30, 2013, 01:19PMTed does really good work. He has a reputation for giving free lectures with your repair work, though, so if you don't want to hear about how you're ruining your instrument, don't go there. You also need to keep in mind that he's a string player and has some misconceptions about what makes a brass instrument work well.

Still, if you have a specific job, he's a very good option.

Hahah, he sure does give you an ear full.  I've been using a guy down in Morgantown now, Albert Houde. He's with Baltimore Brass, but his wife is the new Viola professor at WVU.  He does impeccable work, absolutely totally meticulous about his work.
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

I just used Dana Hofer in the Chicago area to repair an old Bach 9 slide, he did a very good job.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

New to the site.  Just can't not play any longer and it has been decades.  Have a unique trombone coming from England and would like it refurbished.  I live on the east coast in Virginia.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Not sure if it matters but the horn is a Hawkes & Son Excelsior Sonorous Class A trombone.  It will be a real looker when completed.  Thanks again.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just to update...

I've used several techs from the forum.
All did fabulous work.  Image  Image

In order of work/projects.
Eric Edwards was the 1st I used.
The Slide Dcotor was the 2nd I used.
Benn Hannson was the 3nd I used.
John Sandhegan was the 4rd I used.
Bob Hester was the 5th I used.
John Sandhegan was the 6th I used.

I hope I didn't miss anyone...
But... before I came on this forum and met these guys, I had used Pettifor's in Elkhart Indiana for 2 jobs. Both of those jobs, left me regretting I had used them at all (I've heard they since changed management since then though).....

These guys I've used from the forum.... are quality people, doing quality work.
I haven't used every repairman on the forum, but I'm sure there is others here that do good quality work too.

From my experiences - I'd recommend either of the ones I listed. I was VERY pleased with their work.

And I'm not rough on my horns...  Image ...... I've just had a few "project horns", that I got fixed up. And I still have a few more projects (I've slowed down a little lately - too many project horns on the back burners).. Image

T.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Jeff Bonk does great work in VA.  Not sure how far you are away from him you are though.  Worth the drive.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Nov 23, 2012, 09:28AMHere in my end of the world, The ONLY person I will take my horns to is Paul Able at the Able Brass Works. Paul an exceptional repair tech and he`s also a Bass Trombonist so he really knows trombones.

I went to Ithaca college with Paul. Long time ago. Makes me smile to hear that name again.
ttf_bonedude

Post by ttf_bonedude »

Anybody have any opinions on the guys at Dillons?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: bonedude on Dec 08, 2013, 02:29PMAnybody have any opinions on the guys at Dillons?

He's done good work for me in the past.  He setup my Shires T0825GLW slide with the correct receiver. Originally it was setup to fit Bach small bore horns for some bizarre reason  Image Image Image (this slide was a used slide on their showroom floor).  I put the slide on my Bach 6vii bell section and immediately fell in love with it.  I friction fit it for awhile, but ultimately decided to get the Shires part mounted. 

He also added a saturn key to that slide and fixed a pretty bizarre alignment issues with a used TW25 slide I had that was causing the leadpipe not to sit in the horn properly.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have had work done at Dillon's. The routine work (slide dents, etc) is done quickly and is done well. I have had some custom work done there in the past too - done exactly as I wanted.
ttf_Trav1s

Post by ttf_Trav1s »

Benn Hannson did the Rotax conversion on my 79h and I am very happy with the results.   Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In Toronto, Canada or anywhere within a few hours drive it is Ron Partch of Partch Brasswinds. He is the "slide doctor"  and works on all brass instruments. He has bored out the valve rotor on my 88H and 72H significantly improving the F attachment range. He has also done custom modifications on brass instruments. Well known and respected in the frozen north. he is also a bass trombonist.
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

Central Florida...Polk County

I've had work done by MICK at Carlton Music in Winter Haven, Florida. Excellent with slides and general repair work. He has worked on 6 or 7 horns for me over the years and I have been VERY happy.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here's another unsolicited word of support for Eric Edwards, near Dallas TX. I had a conversion project that was a bit tricky, and Eric did a wonderful job. It was worth the additional hassle of sending my horn to him from the Midwest.

He is a consummate professional and also pleasant to deal with. His website is:
http://www.proinstrumentrepair.com/
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Philadelphia is home to a lot of great brass players, but the caveat is that there are no technicians in the city, let alone competent ones. Until now!

Sun He is a graduate student for bass trombone at Temple University. He's picky about his horns - everything must be perfect. He vows to treat every instrument that he works on as his own, and he makes sure that everything he does to a client's instrument is something he'd be thrilled to have as his own. As a matter of fact, he overhauled an old Conn 62H of mine. He has a 72H of his own, which was actually George Roberts' main axe for a large portion of his career - He played my horn to get a feel for it, I asked him and he said he still preferred his by a long way. After the repairs and modifications, though, he was a bit jealous of the horn.

He'll do all of the work right in front of you, he is 100% open to any and all input or ideas you might have, and he charges drastically less than an average tech with half of the skill would charge. Discounts galore, and in my case, his generosity has resulted in slashing well more than half of the usual cost on at least one occasion. That, and he's a great guy; everyone finds him very likable and that is not without merit.

Any brass players in Philadelphia, for a cleaning or dent work or linkage conversions or absolutely anything else, give him a try. You definitely will not be disappointed, he comes with the highest recommendations from absolutely everyone who has ever worked with him. Check out his website, complete with contact info:
http://bassbonesun.wordpress.com
ttf_deanmccarty

Post by ttf_deanmccarty »

I've never seen anyone better than Eric Swanson in the Dallas area (Hurst)... I have been using him for the past 28 years off and on...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Merlin Grady In Waterloo, Iowa He's amazing.  Great with Slide (everything about slides) and putting custom horns together

http://merlingrady.com/home.html

KAREN GLEASON in Lexington,KY she's awesome great with removing dents slide alignment and many other crazy. She Works at Hurst Music in Lexington,KY

Lee Sable Repair/custom stuff guru.  He's on Facebook easy to find. He did an amazing Job with my bass bells and many of my Brazilian friends.  All of these people at some point did some great job on my horns.

ERIC EDWARDS!!! I love him!! perfect too!!

Chuck Alexander (BrassLAB) the man who put my  bass valve section together back in 2009! (Shires axial flow valves but the rest is all of his out of this word stuff) The valves are running great, great sound, Trigger lever are the fastest I ever had. 

I hope this info helps
ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

I have used a tech (David Roan) at ATEC Corporation in Clinton MD to pull leadpipes on my 71 36B and my 74 42. Both times he has taken the inner slides completely apart and carefully reassembled them in the process. Both pipes came out 100% intact and both slides are now 10 out of 10.. Very reasonably priced too...
ttf_Sid

Post by ttf_Sid »

For those in the St. Louis area, I would recommend Steve Wyatt of Midwest Musical Instrument Service (http://www.manta.com/c/mttzn01/midwest-musical-instrument-service-llc). He worked for years at St. Louis Woodwind and Brass before opening up his own place and has worked on my horns several times now. I took my 3BSS into him for slide work and cleaning in January and not only did he do great work, but his costs were very reasonable. He does custom work on request (showed me a custom finished Olds trumpet he recently finished when I dropped a horn off yesterday) and is also a phenomenal bass trombone player.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

In my part of Southern California, it's hard to imagine anyone could do a better job on slides than Bruce Belo in Anaheim. 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The best I've ever had the pleasure of hiring = Robb Stewart out of Arcadia, CA. He did a complete Shires Axial valve conversion (fitting 2 bells/slides) onto my Bachs. I kid you not, they came back playing more lively than before - in fact, they are easily the best playing Bachs I've ever played. I'm still flying high. He's an absolute perfectionist. He came highly recommended by both the shop guys at Shires and The Horn Guys in CA. They weren't joking. Plus, he's ON TIME!

So, Robb Stewart. Done deal.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Lindy Wunn in Portland is fantastic.  He's been head of instrument for Portland Public Schools for decades.  He's a great guy and does great work.

He did all of Ed Thayer's installs when the Thayer Valve was released.

Let me know if you need more details.
ttf_Ian McDougall Wannabe

Post by ttf_Ian McDougall Wannabe »

Dave Gsponer at Matterhorn Music in Surrey, BC. Beautiful dent work, and his slide repairs/tune-ups are second to none. He's done excellent custom work for me too. For those in the know, he's the guy that bought all of Joe DeBruycker's old tooling.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Anyone know good techs in the Salt Lake City area?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone have a recommendation for a trombone tech in Arkansas?  Or Memphis, if he/she is worth the drive?  Or am I better off to send it out?  Thanks. 
ttf_Paul Martin

Quote from: littlerockjohn on Aug 13, 2014, 07:42AMAnyone have a recommendation for a trombone tech in Arkansas?  Or Memphis, if he/she is worth the drive?  Or am I better off to send it out?  Thanks. 

I've never had the slightest problem sending a horn or slide to one of the really good brass techs; if I had something minor to be done that did not require someone of Dan Oberloh's or Mike Corrigan's talents to solve, I'd go locally, but then I'd want to talk to the person in question, because you never know their exact skill level (and there are some bad techs out there).
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Frank Longino on Nov 27, 2012, 09:08AMDoes anybody have any recommendations for the Raleigh, North Carolina area?

I took a couple of old, rough horns to Jim Peterson (off Hillsborough Street).  He gave them a good cleaning and did some slide alignment, and now they work and play a lot better.  However, he doesn't do refinishing and I don't know if he does any major repair work.

I'm interested in getting an old King 5B refinished, but I'm not sure who to trust with it.
ttf_Paul Martin

Quote from: dbuster on Aug 13, 2014, 01:30PMI took a couple of old, rough horns to Jim Peterson (off Hillsborough Street).  He gave them a good cleaning and did some slide alignment, and now they work and play a lot better.  However, he doesn't do refinishing and I don't know if he does any major repair work.

I'm interested in getting an old King 5B refinished, but I'm not sure who to trust with it.

A lot of guys don't do lacquer work except for very limited touch up work; I've even had guys refuse overhauls because of their own bad experience with sending out parts for refinishing (Comm/UMI losing original parts at the Eastlake plant), Oberloh would be a sure thing, but he's not taking any full overhauls currently due to a backlog.

Mike Corrigan does nice work, and I'm pretty sure soup-to-nuts overhauls.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In Oklahoma I'd recommend Bruce Kitzel (Edmond Music and Gilliam Music in Norman). He fixed up my 1963 Olds Super, and it's now like new. He is recognized as one of if not the best tech in the state.

- Freedy
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

Any recommendations in the Boston area? I know shires is nearby but they seem like they're busy enough.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Osmun Music
77 Powdermill Road, Acton, MA 01720
978-823-0580
http://www.osmun.com/service.html
Store Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-5pm | Saturday 10am-2pm
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

In Denver, Colorado: Greg Meis (www.meismusic.com). He just replaced a tuning slide on my '89 6H, which I figure is not high in difficulty, but he did it for an extremely reasonable price and while the horn was there he banged out a lot of dents "that were bothering him" and replaced my spit valve because is was leaking a bit; and he didn't charge me for the extra work. I asked if he refurbished horns (I have a '41 12H I would love to get redone) and he said he's moving out of that, but he showed me a flugelhorn he had just done for one of the best trumpeters in town, so I figure the good folks go to him. 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Any recommendations for repair techs that can do modification work in the Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia region of the country? I am in Charlotte, NC and need to have a bell flare mounted on a valve section. Although this is somewhat simple of an installation process I want to make sure it's done precisely, so I'm willing to drive out of state to get it done well. Right now I'm considering Rich Ita's Brass Instrument Workshop in Marietta, GA (just outside of Atlanta), anybody had work done by him? Also I saw this post from a couple of years ago:

Quote from: jbeckett on Nov 17, 2012, 04:00PMHEY ALL,
A FRIEND OF MINE STARTED HIS OWN BRASS AND WOODWIND REPAIR SHOP IN ROCKY MOUNT NC.  HIS NAME IS GREG TYSON AND HIS SHOP IS CALLED TYSON BRASSWORKS.  I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT WITH A REPAIR JOB ON A TRASHED BENGE 290 THAT I BOUGHT.  I THOUGH HE MIGHT DO A GOOD JOB AND IT WOULD BE SOME GOOD PR FOR HIM.  HERE ARE SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PICS.  I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE IN COASTAL CAROLINA, SOUTHERN VIRGINIA, OR NORTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA SHOULD TRY HIM.  HE HAS 17 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND MAKES SLIDES BUTTER SMOOTH.  A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TECH.  PICS TELL THE STORY:

Anybody know if Tyson Brassworks is still around? There is no information on the company online, it would appear to be closed.

Thanks for any leads.
ttf_AZTBNDAD

Post by ttf_AZTBNDAD »

In Phoenix, I would pick Mike Nye.

ttf_KingMan

Post by ttf_KingMan »

I've had really good service from a shop in Red Lion, PA called The Broken Note. The owner/tech is Brian Greek. He knows his stuff and has gone the extra mile for me. I recently bought a Conn 100H from another Forum member that had a few large dents and a misaligned slide (both directions). He chem-cleaned it, aligned the slide, straightened polished all 3 lead pipes, and removed all the dents for less than a hundred bucks.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”