King 605F + Tempo bell?

ttf_Tbonedude

King 605F + Tempo bell?

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

I have an idea to obtain a King 605F (similar to 2B, spec-wise) and swap the yellow brass bell with a nickel-plated bell from a Tempo (curved brace version, which I understand is also similar to a 2B spec-wise). In theory, it would make the 605 harder to overblow, and with its small bore and F-attachment (may make it convertible from F to Gb or G), it would make a great trombone for lead or 2nd in jazz big band and also for varsity/pep band.

A nice bonus is the theoretical compatibility with 2B parts, since the Tempo, 605/F, and 2B all have the same size slide receiver. I could go from 0.491" single bore to 0.481/0.491" dual bore if I wanted, or even get a valve section. I've heard the Tempo referred to as a poor man's 2BSS, and the 605F is like a student-level 2BF spec-wise, so I guess this frankenhorn would be a poor college student's 2BFSS... sounds about right.

I would flat-out get a 2B or a 3BF, but their current running prices are too high for me and I like the idea of a cheap, nasty small bore w/F. The good kind of nasty, of course.

Has this ever been done before? Any tips or input?
ttf_Tbonedude

King 605F + Tempo bell?

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

I have an idea to obtain a King 605F (similar to 2B, spec-wise) and swap the yellow brass bell with a nickel-plated bell from a Tempo (curved brace version, which I understand is also similar to a 2B spec-wise). In theory, it would make the 605 harder to overblow, and with its small bore and F-attachment (may make it convertible from F to Gb or G), it would make a great trombone for lead or 2nd in jazz big band and also for varsity/pep band.

A nice bonus is the theoretical compatibility with 2B parts, since the Tempo, 605/F, and 2B all have the same size slide receiver. I could go from 0.491" single bore to 0.481/0.491" dual bore if I wanted, or even get a valve section. I've heard the Tempo referred to as a poor man's 2BSS, and the 605F is like a student-level 2BF spec-wise, so I guess this frankenhorn would be a poor college student's 2BFSS... sounds about right.

I would flat-out get a 2B or a 3BF, but their current running prices are too high for me and I like the idea of a cheap, nasty small bore w/F. The good kind of nasty, of course.

Has this ever been done before? Any tips or input?

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”