bach 36 conversion to shires leadpipes

ttf_RolandJBarber

Post by ttf_RolandJBarber »

Hi, can anyone shed light on what is needed to get a Bach 36 set up for Shires (large shank) leadpipes?

ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

A Bach 36 slide will not accept a LS leadpipe. The pipe is too wide for the inner slide. I did this by installing a Shires slide receiver on my Bach bell and using a Shires .525 slide with a Shires LS pipe. I hope this helps.. Greg
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I wonder why that is? The inner slide should be 525 so shouldn't be any different than a small receiver though im sure I'm missing something.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

The ID of a standard large receiver is nominally .547" at the opening. Figure at least .005" wall, you're up to .557" OD. You have to expand a .547" tube a little to take it.

On a removable pipe .525", the inner slide doesn't extend all the way to the receiver. Morse taper is nominally  .052"/inch, so if the outside taper of the pipe mirrors the inside taper, you'd have an OD of .525" at just under 5/8" down from the receiver opening.
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: TNTBONE on Nov 20, 2017, 02:39PMA Bach 36 slide will not accept a LS leadpipe. The pipe is too wide for the inner slide. I did this by installing a Shires slide receiver on my Bach bell and using a Shires .525 slide with a Shires LS pipe. I hope this helps.. Greg

Should be able to accept Shires MT leadpipes, which are large shank pipes for a .525 slide.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: JohnL on Nov 20, 2017, 04:17PMThe ID of a standard large receiver is nominally .547" at the opening. Figure at least .005" wall, you're up to .557" OD. You have to expand a .547" tube a little to take it.

On a removable pipe .525", the inner slide doesn't extend all the way to the receiver. Morse taper is nominally  .052"/inch, so if the outside taper of the pipe mirrors the inside taper, you'd have an OD of .525" at just under 5/8" down from the receiver opening.

Is it? I used a large shank mouthpiece in a 508 horn without a leadpipe in a pinch a few years ago and it fit quite well. I'd be surprised if the ID of the slide receiver was .557.  It sounds like the top of the pipe near the cork barrel is the problem in that case? 

Either way, the cork barrel part isn't very expensive from Shires if they still offer it. (I haven't ordered one since the Eastman acqusition).  I recently converted a Yamaha Xeno slide to 525/547 using a YSL645 pipe and both large and small shank receivers fit fine through the stock Xeno cork barrel.
ttf_Michael Medrick

Post by ttf_Michael Medrick »

Roland,
For whatever it is worth, I have had pretty good results with Edwards .525 lead pipes in my 36. I did not pick Edwards over Shires, it was a matter of what was available at the time I was experimenting. I am sure Shires pipes will meet your needs. There are other sources of pipes to try too, such as the pipes from BrassArk.
It may be easier to acquire pipes from whomever that are pull to fit rather than screw in.
Good hunting!

ttf_Michael Medrick

Post by ttf_Michael Medrick »

Roland,
For whatever it is worth, I have had pretty good results with Edwards .525 lead pipes in my 36. I did not pick Edwards over Shires, it was a matter of what was available at the time I was experimenting. I am sure Shires pipes will meet your needs. There are other sources of pipes to try too, such as the pipes from BrassArk.
It may be easier to acquire pipes from whomever that are pull to fit rather than screw in.
Good hunting!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”