Ball and socket from string

ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

Looking to modify my 290 with a ball and socket linkage instead of keeping the string. Any suggestions of what to use or where to procure such Hardware?
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

This is what I use:

https://www.dubro.com/collections/ball-links/products/2-56-threaded-ball-link

But I really prefer the string linkage!  Quiet, quick & easy to replace the string if necessary!!

Eric

ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

A lot more than just procuring the hardware. You have to reverse the stop arms, modify the levers, drill tiny holes and tap them to accept the threads for the ball links. If you don't know how to do all that, just have a tech do it for you. It isn't really that expensive.
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

I’ve done it before on a tenor Benge that I had in the 90’s. It wasn’t that bad. I had someone recommend going to a “remote control car store” for the linkage. That was an interesting conversation. Couldn’t find anything on the web. Thanks for the help gents!
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

Eric, as far as joining the two sockets, should I just buy some 2-56 threaded rod and cut it to length?
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: bonearzt on Oct 12, 2017, 09:17PM
But I really prefer the string linkage!  Quiet, quick & easy to replace the string if necessary!!

Me too, but now I have it only on my Blessing.  Do they have kits to go from linkage to string?
ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

no...
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: jbeckett on Oct 13, 2017, 04:19AMEric, as far as joining the two sockets, should I just buy some 2-56 threaded rod and cut it to length?

I would go with a slightly heavier 3-48 rod.

But I use 1/8" hex steel cut to length & thread the ends,  a little cleaner look.

Eric

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You could make the threaded rod look nicer by putting some heat shrink tubing over the threads you don't need.  And you can get some cool colors Image
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

i feel extremely privileged to have all of these minds in the repair/mod/service world comment on this. 
Bruce: colors? I'm more of a metallic type of guy.

Most likely going to live and let live on this. if the string fails, I can always re string. plus the replacement part world is all but gone for Benge unless you can call chuck ward, like i did, for the last Benge bass cork barrel known to man. The only thing I would really do now is make the leadpipe removable to sub in a few that I would like to test.  other than that, I'm leaving her alone.

Jeff
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: jbeckett on Yesterday at 08:45 AMi feel extremely privileged to have all of these minds in the repair/mod/service world comment on this. 
Bruce: colors? I'm more of a metallic type of guy.

Most likely going to live and let live on this. if the string fails, I can always re string. plus the replacement part world is all but gone for Benge unless you can call chuck ward, like i did, for the last Benge bass cork barrel known to man. The only thing I would really do now is make the leadpipe removable to sub in a few that I would like to test.  other than that, I'm leaving her alone.

Jeff

If the string breaks, be sure to check the edges of the string holes before you re-string.  They are supposed to be chamfered.  The screws that clamp them are supposed to have the edges eased also.  When both of those are done, the strings go years and years before failing.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: boneagain on Yesterday at 09:31 AMIf the string breaks, be sure to check the edges of the string holes before you re-string.  They are supposed to be chamfered.  The screws that clamp them are supposed to have the edges eased also.  When both of those are done, the strings go years and years before failing.I bought my Benge 290 new from a local store years ago. I pretty much had to restring the stupid thing every time I played it; there was a burr in one of the holes. Tried to get the store to fix it, but finally gave up and had a ball-and-socket conversion done.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: boneagain on Yesterday at 09:31 AMIf the string breaks, be sure to check the edges of the string holes before you re-string.  They are supposed to be chamfered.  The screws that clamp them are supposed to have the edges eased also.  When both of those are done, the strings go years and years before failing.I bought my Benge 290 new from a local store years ago. I pretty much had to restring the stupid thing every time I played it; there was a burr in one of the holes. Tried to get the store to fix it, but finally gave up and had a ball-and-socket conversion done.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”