525 large shank leadpipes

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Does anyone know or have experience of using different manufacturers lead pipes in a Conn SL2547 slide, specifically large shank lead pipes. I know Rath and Shires make the 525 lead pipe with a large shank option but would these fit a Conn? Thanks.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: UKtbone on Yesterday at 08:23 AMDoes anyone know or have experience of using different manufacturers lead pipes in a Conn SL2547 slide, specifically large shank lead pipes. I know Rath and Shires make the 525 lead pipe with a large shank option but would these fit a Conn? Thanks.

I've used the Conn X leadpipe (large shank) in a Conn SL2525 slide. My experience was that the combination was nothing special, it kind of erased the liveliness that I love about the Conn 525 slides in the first place. I had a Brass Ark MV36 pipe for a while, and it worked great. Much lighter feel in the Conn slide, but that was a small shank pipe. A Rath or Shires 525 large shank pipe with Conn threads would fit a Conn 525 slide.

I've also played Shires and Rath 525 bore horns, but again, only with small shank. Those play much bigger than the Conn 525. A large bore mpc might be more successful in a Shires or Rath 525, but I've never tried that.

PS: I see from your profile you have an R3 and an 88h, and already have some DE stuff. Great choice in horns! Have you played a large shank in your R3? The SL2547 might just be enough to whet your appetite. I found I had to go all the way to SL2525 to get the best sound on the 88h. Also, I generally use the F cup on the 88h/2525 combo.

If you can try it without spending money on it, that's the best way to find out, but I wouldn't recommend spending money on it. Just get started with a small shank 5G or a Doug Elliott system where you can assemble what you want.
ttf_JWykell

Post by ttf_JWykell »

I do not have the specific experience you are asking about, but I do play a Shires .525 setup. I have their 7 bell (8 1/2 inch yellow brass two piece with soldered wire rim) with their standard (narrow) .525 slide. I originally had a .547 narrow slide, but decided to try the .525. I now only use the .525 slide. I've used the Ralph Sauer Large Shank pipe on it, which is based on an 8/88h pipe, and the #2 Large Shank. I've also tried all three standard small pipes. I've not played the modern Conns at all. I have found that with the Sauer pipe and the #2 small shank pipe the horn is at its best. These are fairly different pipes. The Sauer is on the short side and very open, and the #2 is a pretty middle of the road balanced pipe. The sound is different with either pipe, but both seem to make the horn slot in a way that just feels like its found its way home. Interestingly I don't like the #2 Large shank pipe. I would say that for my Shires the Sauer pipe is broader, and the #2 small shank is more compact. I don't think either is brighter or darker. Don't know if that is helpful or not. If you want to buy a #2 Shires Large Shank pipe with Shires threads I'd be happy to part with mine. Pm me if you're interested.
ttf_Bimmerman

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

Edwards doesn't make one, I asked. I have a .525/547 Edwards and use either the #2 or 3 leadpipe in combination with Doug's G5 shank. It works really well. Same with a small shank 5G.

I've been tempted to buy a Conn or Shires large shank .525 leadpipe and put Edwards threads on it, just haven't yet.
ttf_matto

Post by ttf_matto »

Just an FYI for people having the thought of using the Shires .525 large shank leadpipes in an Edwards... my MT 2.5 does not fit in an Edwards .525 slide. The end of the Shires pipe is too big for the entry of the Edwards receiver. Since the MT 2.5 is currently my only .525/large shank pipe, I have not wanted to experiment with, or force it into the opening.
ttf_Bimmerman

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

Quote from: matto on Yesterday at 09:44 AMJust an FYI for people having the thought of using the Shires .525 large shank leadpipes in an Edwards... my MT 2.5 does not fit in an Edwards .525 slide. The end of the Shires pipe is too big for the entry of the Edwards receiver. Since the MT 2.5 is currently my only .525/large shank pipe, I have not wanted to experiment with, or force it into the opening.

Good info, thanks! Guess I'll stick to the Edwards pipes then.
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Oct 06, 2017, 08:44AMI had a Brass Ark MV36 pipe for a while, and it worked great. Much lighter feel in the Conn slide, but that was a small shank pipe.
Just FYI, I can make any Brass Ark/Brass Medic .525 pipe for a large shank if requested.
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

I tried a Shires pipe in an SL2547 slide.  I liked the sound but it wouldn’t go all the way in my slide. 
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

I tried a Shires pipe in an SL2547 slide.  I liked the sound but it wouldn’t go all the way in my slide. 

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”