Stripping stubborn King lacquer

ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

I have a vintage 1970s all yellow lacquered King 606 I wanted to strip the lacquer from. Three hours of Polystrippa --and one quart/litre--didn't remove even a speck of it.

Another 2 hour application-- and a full can-- of automotive paint stripper didn't touch it.

Finally I used Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner and it ate the lacquer effortlessly in less than 10 minutes. Spray on, wipe off.

Easy-Off should also work on that old King orange lacquer that is stubborn.

For the record the listed ingredients of epoxy remover is the same ingredients listed on the can of polystrippa type stuff. Epoxy remover had also been suggested online, as an answer.
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Take it to a tech. Have him dip it and buff it. I had a Conn 6H stripped and buffed. I knew with that Lustre-Conn finish I would be in for a fight. He charged me $40, and it was finished in a day.

Worth the $$$

Jerry Walker
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I had great luck with CitriStrip on a late 80's 3B. Lacquer was crinkled in about three hours, and wiped right off. That King orange stuff is like iron. I don't think CitriStrip would have touched it.

Jerry Walker
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I tried CitriStrip on the orange stuff once.  Nothing.
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: greenbean on Jul 28, 2017, 06:58AMI tried CitriStrip on the orange stuff once.  Nothing.

I have a Conn Director I used CitriStrip on. After four coats, it only took some lacquer off.

Looks like it has leprosy............

Yeah, that LustreConn is tough stuff.

Jerry Walker
ttf_dershem

Post by ttf_dershem »

I recently picked up a 1955 2B with about 1/3 of the lacquer gone.  Used easy-off, followed by never-dull and it's all shiny now.  The finish still shows the color difference between what used to be lacquer and what used to be not, but it's better than it was.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

No offense to those who've had spotty results with Citristrip, but every horn I've used it on (dozens of different makes & models that includes Kings, Conns, Bachs, etc) the lacquer has always come completely off.  It may take 2 coats because I use a brush and may miss a spot or two after the 1st coat, but the stuff has done its job every single time.

I remember in my first attempts with Citristrip I would get 70-80% of the lacquer removed. I learned that even though at times I wouldn't get the results from an overnight application, it's not about the duration but the temperature.  The stuff works best when the air temp is warm (~85 deg F or hotter). 4-5 hours in my un-conditioned enclosed porch is what it usually takes me. The lacquer then basically sloughs off the horn in sheets when I rinse the Citristrip off with water.

Please keep in mind that once the lacquer is removed it will require a polishing. I've always had great results with Wright's Brass Polish.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Yesterday at 04:29 AMNo offense to those who've had spotty results with Citristrip, but every horn I've used it on (dozens of different makes & models that includes Kings, Conns, Bachs, etc) the lacquer has always come completely off.  It may take 2 coats because I use a brush and may miss a spot or two after the 1st coat, but the stuff has done its job every single time.

I remember in my first attempts with Citristrip I would get 70-80% of the lacquer removed. I learned that even though at times I wouldn't get the results from an overnight application, it's not about the duration but the temperature.  The stuff works best when the air temp is warm (~85 deg F or hotter). 4-5 hours in my un-conditioned enclosed porch is what it usually takes me. The lacquer then basically sloughs off the horn in sheets when I rinse the Citristrip off with water.

Please keep in mind that once the lacquer is removed it will require a polishing. I've always had great results with Wright's Brass Polish.

Maybe that is why I never had much luck with it in my basement!

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Related question:

My 3B silversonic from 1970 is, I believe, laquered. Does anyone know if the laquer is also covering the gold wash on the inside of the bell as well?
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Yesterday at 04:29 AM

I stripped the remaining lacquer off of an Olds P-22 using Klean airline grade stripper. The Home Depot guy walked me through it. High grade gloves, mask (it’s corrosive), hot weather outside. No confined spaces, and apply, then remove after 12 minutes. I’ve used citrustrip and easyoff before, but I don’t like leaving that stuff on for extended periods unattended.
ttf_bigbandaxes

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

For King epoxy lacquer I used to have a hot lye tank in my shop! That stuff is tough!
ttf_SaigonSlide

Post by ttf_SaigonSlide »

I just stripped old lacquer off Conn 48H slide with near boiling white vinegar.  I initially put slide in container with 1/2 room temp water, then slowly poured the vinegar in to be about 50/50 and waited for 1-2hours.  It came off in sheets.  Polished with BrassO.  As stated above, I think temp has a lot to do with how well these products work.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Newbie question! Image

What is the reason for removing the lacquer?
I'm assuming it's a resonance thing, much like having too thick a Nitro coating on an acoustic guitar?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There are many among us who claim that lacquer tends to dull the response of the bell.  I guess to some extent this is true, but for most of us mortals we won't really hear the difference.

If you strip the lacquer (and King epoxy is REALLY difficult) you will now have a bell that will tarnish quickly (over the course of a couple of weeks) and you will have to polish it a lot.  If you don't mind doing all that work, have at stripping.  Me?  I don't like to have to tend to my horns.  I use them with the lacquer.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 03, 2017, 07:43PMThere are many among us who claim that lacquer tends to dull the response of the bell.  I guess to some extent this is true, but for most of us mortals we won't really hear the difference.

If you strip the lacquer (and King epoxy is REALLY difficult) you will now have a bell that will tarnish quickly (over the course of a couple of weeks) and you will have to polish it a lot.  If you don't mind doing all that work, have at stripping.  Me?  I don't like to have to tend to my horns.  I use them with the lacquer.

Thanks BGuttman, appreciate the response.
Since I don't own my trom(it's supplied by my Brass Band) that will definitely not be an option!
Besides, I like shiny!!
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 03, 2017, 07:43PMThere are many among us who claim that lacquer tends to dull the response of the bell.  I guess to some extent this is true, but for most of us mortals we won't really hear the difference.

Thanks BGuttman, appreciate the response.
Since I don't own my trom(it's supplied by my Brass Band) that will definitely not be an option!
Besides, I like shiny!!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”