Large Bore Concert MP

ttf_MDLM1392

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_MDLM1392 »

Currently use a Bach 6 1/2 AL Mouthpiece. Looking for a better one for high school that will give me a deeper and more open sound. Also, side question, what do y'all think of the UMI Christian Lindberg Signature Mouthpieces? I use one for jazz band and it gives me a nice sound for jazz styles.
ttf_BGuttman

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The Lindberg mouthpieces have a rather narrow rim and have earned the epithet of "cookie cutters".  But if you play with little or no pressure they can be fine.  But there are other brands you should try: Bach, Wick, Schilke, Yamaha (to name some common and not too expensive brands).

You can get a nice full sound on a 6.5 AL if it's suited to your embouchure.  Or you can check out "5" sized (1.01") or "4" sized (1.02") or even a "3" size (1.04").  But I can't say which is ideal for you.  You (and your teacher) will have to work that out.  If you are lucky, your teacher may have a box of different sized mouthpieces for you to try.
ttf_MDLM1392

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_MDLM1392 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 12, 2017, 08:02PMThe Lindberg mouthpieces have a rather narrow rim and have earned the epithet of "cookie cutters".  But if you play with little or no pressure they can be fine.  But there are other brands you should try: Bach, Wick, Schilke, Yamaha (to name some common and not too expensive brands).

You can get a nice full sound on a 6.5 AL if it's suited to your embouchure.  Or you can check out "5" sized (1.01") or "4" sized (1.02") or even a "3" size (1.04").  But I can't say which is ideal for you.  You (and your teacher) will have to work that out.  If you are lucky, your teacher may have a box of different sized mouthpieces for you to try.
Thanks for the advice! I'm donating my Cecilio Horn that I use currently to the school, and for that he has decided to buy me a new mouthpiece so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
ttf_greenbean

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_greenbean »

The Lindberg is the least comfortable mouthpiece I have ever played...
ttf_vegasbound

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

What does your trombone teacher suggest?????
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I played on CLs for about ten years. They're great until you need to blend in an ensemble.

If you are getting paid to tour the world and play Troorkh and SOLO, they are great.
ttf_MDLM1392

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_MDLM1392 »

Quote from: vegasbound on Mar 13, 2017, 02:11AMWhat does your trombone teacher suggest?????
he suggested the bach megatone 4g/ 5g
ttf_BGuttman

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: MDLM1392 on Mar 27, 2017, 07:20PM he suggested the bach megatone 4g/ 5g

Personally, I wouldn't go with a Megatone.  Especially for a kid.  Megatones take a lot of effort to play and you will work harder than you need to.  A Bach (or Faxx) 4G or 5G might be perfect.  Not too expensive and just a little bigger.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 27, 2017, 08:32PMPersonally, I wouldn't go with a Megatone.  Especially for a kid.  Megatones take a lot of effort to play and you will work harder than you need to.  A Bach (or Faxx) 4G or 5G might be perfect.  Not too expensive and just a little bigger.

What is the point of using a Megatone mouthpiece? I have often wondered about getting one. Just curious  Image
ttf_bonenick

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_bonenick »

In theory, the megatone is supposed the transfer more energy and sound to the instrument and less feedback. But in reality that depends a lot on the where exactly the added weight is placed.

Personally I think that it is much more audible on small instruments (like trumpets) and rather usefull for lead type of playing (and hurting trombone players ears  Image )
ttf_BGuttman

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: crazytrombonist505 on Mar 29, 2017, 02:07PMWhat is the point of using a Megatone mouthpiece? I have often wondered about getting one. Just curious  Image

Back in the Bad Old Days, we used to put something on the mouthpiece shank called a Sound Sleeve.  This added mass to the mouthpiece.  The Megatone was a way to simulate the Sound Sleeve.  It was an interesting idea, but adding mass to the mouthpiece works with a strong embouchure and a well developed player.  Most mortals really find they add a lot of effort without much payback.
ttf_bonenick

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_bonenick »

BG,

Sound sleeves are still used, though I don't really know how popular is this in low brass world...
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 29, 2017, 02:15PMBack in the Bad Old Days, we used to put something on the mouthpiece shank called a Sound Sleeve.  This added mass to the mouthpiece.  The Megatone was a way to simulate the Sound Sleeve.  It was an interesting idea, but adding mass to the mouthpiece works with a strong embouchure and a well developed player.  Most mortals really find they add a lot of effort without much payback.

Oh, ok. Thanks for your feedback!
ttf_slideking

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_slideking »

As a player who used the 5CL model for a year, it made me tremendously sharp, by about 10-20 cents compared to any other mouthpiece I tried. Dont know if its how I played it, but other wise I loved the mouthpiece.
ttf_Ellrod

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Faxx 5G.
ttf_Ellrod

Large Bore Concert MP

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Faxx 5G.

Return to “Mouthpieces”