Yamaha SB5X versus Best Brass e-Brass III Mute Trombone

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all
I am looking at buying an electronic practice mute and was wondering if anyone has compared the new Yamaha Silent Brass system (SB5X) against the Best Brass e-Brass III Mute Trombone Mute. If so, what were your thoughts? Cheers Dorftrottel
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

Does anyone own either of these and can comment?  I'm looking at buying the new Silent Brass as well.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I have the SB5, but haven't played the other one. My only previous experience with practice mutes is a 20 year old Wallace fiber mute that I never made friends with. The Yamaha allowed me to actually get in some useful practice with a mute. It's more in tune than the old Wallace. With the electronics, you actually feel like you're playing trombone, not a buzz machine. The mute fits right into the bell, no more bowling pin sticking way out front. It still effects the balance of your horn, which is the one negative, along with the wires hanging everywhere. Connection to a bluetooth headset would be brilliant. Moving the electronics into the mute would also be great, because the biggest part of the weight is the plastic housing, after the batteries.

There's certainly room for improvement, but my wife was able to watch Downton Abbey while I worked on articulation (in different rooms). I swear by the thing. I take it on trips along with my compact valve bone to just keep my chops moving.
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

excellent info. 

thanks.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

I've been using the new Silent Brass for about 6 months (...not every day, but when I want to practice a little without bothering the family late at night or real early morning)

Tips:

- there are 2 different reverbs. See what works for your chops the best. By that, I mean if you use the 'long reverb', it might only be good for slow long tones or slow melodious practice. The 'small room' makes you blow a bit more to get some more resonance, and I find that my chops like the 'small room' the best.

But... don't practice for hours! You can wear out your support hand. It's not super heavy, but it weighs more than a little Best Brass mute.

- headphones... get very good headphones! Better headphones will give you a more 'natural' sound; at least you get some tone and brilliance to the sound in good headphones. I bought the Monster DNA headphones for Silent Brass practice and for listening to my iPod.

Conclusion: I like it. No harm done when used for short practice sessions. Just keep the air moving and dont' get seduced by the nice headphone sound by thinking that you're really blowing as if you didn't have the mute in the horn.
So.... play as if you don't have the mute in the horn. Keep the air going!
ttf_steve335

Post by ttf_steve335 »

Has anyone managed to compare these 2 mutes?
I can't find much information online regarding the Best Brass E Brass 111.
If you have one or have tried it I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Quote from: steve335 on Jul 23, 2017, 06:31AMHas anyone managed to compare these 2 mutes?
I can't find much information online regarding the Best Brass E Brass 111.
If you have one or have tried it I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

I, too, am interested to hear from someone who has tried both and can compare the two......
ttf_matto

Post by ttf_matto »

So, I won't be of much help, but I suspect that there are few, if any, owners of both mutes. When I was looking for a great practice mute, I tried out the non-electronic options that were cheaper, and was dissatisfied. I then tried the newer Silent Brass system and stopped looking after putting my $199 down. It fulfills my needs, and I won't be investing any more dough into practice mutes. Even if the Best Brass electronic version was worlds better, I'm unlikely to change after having committed that much money to something I use intermittently at best. The Yamaha also has the advantage of using the same external sound module with other sizes of the mute for other instruments, and is a reasonably good standalone mute without the external module. It's weight is negligible, and it can be stored in-bell in a case or gig bag.

So, I know you weren't looking for a single device opinion, but I'm not sure you're going to find anything else.

...but, I am a gear head at heart, so if someone out there has experience with both devices, I'd enjoy reading that review.  Image
ttf_matto

Post by ttf_matto »

So, I won't be of much help, but I suspect that there are few, if any, owners of both mutes. When I was looking for a great practice mute, I tried out the non-electronic options that were cheaper, and was dissatisfied. I then tried the newer Silent Brass system and stopped looking after putting my $199 down. It fulfills my needs, and I won't be investing any more dough into practice mutes. Even if the Best Brass electronic version was worlds better, I'm unlikely to change after having committed that much money to something I use intermittently at best. The Yamaha also has the advantage of using the same external sound module with other sizes of the mute for other instruments, and is a reasonably good standalone mute without the external module. It's weight is negligible, and it can be stored in-bell in a case or gig bag.

So, I know you weren't looking for a single device opinion, but I'm not sure you're going to find anything else.

...but, I am a gear head at heart, so if someone out there has experience with both devices, I'd enjoy reading that review.  Image

Return to “Accessories”