Suggestions on trombone stands?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Looking to buy an instrument stand for my trombone, any suggestions? What do you use, what should I look for in a product?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

NOT Hercules. I've had a bad experience with the in bell storage type. Destroyed a slide when one of the springs gave out and it tipped over.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

The best are the K&m 14990. Hands down in my opinion. Ha,il ton are also good.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I like this one http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-8070-kampm-trombone-stand.aspx

Some people like the heavier duty one, but it has too many sharp edges to dent the ends of slides. Plus, this one is lighter and easier to deploy.

I don't like the cheaper On-Stage Stands version because the main tightening mechanism doesn't work well on the ones I have. Plus, they have a spring under the bell cup which just makes things less stable. Removing it isn't as easy as just buying a better stand in the first place.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Don't buy the K&M In-bell stand either.

I use the K&M that looks like a Hamilton on steroids (not the one mentioned above).  You can even use a Hamilton if you are careful.  One thing I do is to make sure the slide parks over one of the feet.  That's the most stable place.  The least stable is midway between two feet.

I know one guy with the Hercules that holds the horn by the slide grip.  Works OK for him.  It has the advantage that you can put a horn on it that has a mute in the bell.

There is a home-brew from Newell Sheridan that uses a cymbal stand lower part and it's VERY stable.  And heavy.  But a good stand.
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

Quote from: Matt K on Feb 22, 2015, 04:06PMThe best are the K&m 14990. Hands down in my opinion. Ha,il ton are also good.

This.

Second choice is a distant second choice.
ttf_MattR1

Post by ttf_MattR1 »

Quote from: Matt K on Feb 22, 2015, 04:06PMThe best are the K&m 14990. Hands down in my opinion. Ha,il ton are also good.

+1 for one of these. I posted in another thread recently about these. I have a few which I use for alto to bass. Very well built and sturdy
ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

I've used the same Hamilton stand for the last 35+ years and it's never let me down. It's the old type that when put up the arms lay flat, horizontal with the ground. It's probably not the most stable available, but suits me fine. The old ones are also, in my opinion, the classiest looking stands around...........
ttf_Jox

Post by ttf_Jox »

I like the one sold by Newell Sheridan. They're great for bass
ttf_bobroden

Post by ttf_bobroden »

I vote also for the K&M 14990.  I have two of them and they're very solid and well built.  They cost a little more than some but will last forever.
ttf_Rath.of.Conn

Post by ttf_Rath.of.Conn »

Another vote for the K&M 14990. Spend enough time fiddling with the two adjustment points (shaft and bell plug) after you get it so that they're set just right: the shaft should be far enough up the bell to really prevent it from wiggling, but not so far that it bears the weight of the horn. Then indicate those points on the stand somehow (I use a couple small marks from shiny-paint pens - silver for one horn and gold for another) so that if you need to collapse it for travel you can easily re-set it.

The only thing I don't recommend the K&M - or any in-bell stand of its type - for is longer-term storage (i.e. more than a day or two). Remember that the horn's center of gravity is going to be offset from the central axis of the stand, so over time there's a subtle bending force on the bell section. That's actually the one thing the Hercules stand is good for (other than the ability to keep mutes in) - the weight is borne by the slide braces and is fairly well-centered over the stand.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

The 14990 is great.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My mainline trombone stand from Amazon has worked well for my tenor f attachment and now my bass. I keep the slide 6" off the floor. Yes it leans a tad so had to adjust for the difference and replace it the same way each time. All tightens well and is both lightweight and sturdy. I place a long sock over the adjustable height cone. Shipping weight is almost a pound heavier than the K&M.

ttf_Leanit

Post by ttf_Leanit »

I've always preferred the Hamilton to the K&M because the Hamilton's legs will sit flat on the floor. Less for somebody trip over on the bandstand.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Leanit on Mar 18, 2015, 03:37PMI've always preferred the Hamilton to the K&M because the Hamilton's legs will sit flat on the floor. Less for somebody trip over on the bandstand.

Does that depend on the vintage of the Hamilton stand?  I have a very old one (50+ years) that will sit flat on the floor.  But I think recent ones may not be able to do that.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: SilverBone on Mar 18, 2015, 06:36PMDoes that depend on the vintage of the Hamilton stand?  I have a very old one (50+ years) that will sit flat on the floor.  But I think recent ones may not be able to do that.

I have a Hamilton KB510 sitting in my office and the legs do not lay flat, nor is it as sturdy as the Hamilton stands of old. I purchased about a month ago on amazon for a student and ended up giving her one of my old spare stands instead because I did not trust the stand for my own use and especially not on carpet. 

If you are on a budget, look at the offerings from "On Stage Stands". I have seen a few people with their $17 trombone stand and IMO it seems much safer than the new Hamilton.

The other downside to the new Hamilton is that the adjustments to the part the bell sits on require the use of an allen key, where the K&M and On Stage Stands have knobs. If you play multiple horns like I do, having to keep an allen key around is a pain. The K&M 14990 is expensive but worth every penny.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: pineapple707 on Mar 18, 2015, 06:51PM The K&M 14990 is expensive but worth every penny.

+1

It always amuses (?) me to see a player with a $5000 trombone who doesn't buy this sturdy $60-70 stand to help protect it.
ttf_Tree1

Post by ttf_Tree1 »

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been looking for a $100-200 stand to replace my $15.00 stand. They're hard to find so they must be better.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I don't have experience with $100-$200 stands so I can't comment.

But the K&M 14990 that I got from Hornguys for $70 is worth every penny.  I am about to order a second one. 
ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Quote from: Leanit on Mar 18, 2015, 03:37PMI've always preferred the Hamilton to the K&M because the Hamilton's legs will sit flat on the floor. Less for somebody trip over on the bandstand.

Only the old ones' legs will sit flat on the floor. The new ones are not the same. If you have an old one keep it and look after it, they are much better than the new version.....
ttf_Bret Steed

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

I would never buy anything other than the K&M stand - GREAT stand!! Image
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

If your looking for something a bit different, I use the Hercules DS520B, and really like it.  This stand grips your trombone on the handslide (like you'd grip it if you were holding it).  Somehow I've always felt a bit nervous about denting the bell with the traditional trombone stand setup.  Of course one of the drawbacks to this design is that it takes up more space, so it doesn't always work if your performing on a crowded stage.
ttf_zxxfgg

Post by ttf_zxxfgg »

Quote from: Duffle on Mar 19, 2015, 10:24AMOnly the old ones' legs will sit flat on the floor. The new ones are not the same. If you have an old one keep it and look after it, they are much better than the new version.....

I got a Hamilton stand about 5 years ago, it lays fairly flat to me (not sure how flat those old ones you're talking about are) but the legs have maybe 2 inches height off the ground maximum. I have not had any problems or issues with the stand, and I appreciate how low the legs lay. I have a sock over the top and it works fine, pretty easy to adjust and fairly portable.

That said, I am currently buying a K+M 14990 for my bass bone, as my Hamilton stand far too risky for long term use with a bass bone. I've gotten several positive recommendations in person for this stand and I see that many others have on the forum also.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I have had 4 Hamiltons over the years and all have failed in one way or another. Got a K&M a couple of years ago and love it.
ttf_jadesayade

Post by ttf_jadesayade »

This is another vote for the Hercules stand that grips by the slide hand-grips. Admittedly they're not for everybody but they are great if you ever need to leave a mute in for a quick change and they hold your trombone very securely.

The negatives are there however. Most notably is that bass trombones with the second trigger actuated by your middle finger won't fit on the Hercules stand, the trigger gets in the way. And if your trombone is of a weird size; (Bigger than the wide Bach slides or smaller than a 2B) It won't fit onto the stand.

Good luck with your quest!
-Jared
ttf_elev8

Post by ttf_elev8 »

I'm on my second Hamilton (old style, flat legs).
The first lasted almost 10 years until I stood on one of the legs on a gig and it broke at the joint (totally my own fault).
My current one has lasted over 20 years.
Of course you can get stands which fold up smaller for storage, but they are never as sturdy and I know which attribute I'd rather have. Hamilton is simple, safe & sturdy to use, built to last & reasonably priced.
It's also by far and away the nicest looking stand out there IMHO.

One final word about their aftersales... After 20 years of use, I managed to lose one of the rubber foot caps off my stand.
Annoying, as I have polished hardwood floors at home. On the off-chance, I fired off a quick email to Hamilton explaining things, asking if they had any foot caps, and could I please buy a couple. A few days later a box arrived containing a bag full of foot caps, plastic bell cups, rubber centre-pole tips. Enough replacement parts for several stands to last several lifetimes. Totally free of charge & fast-shipped to me here in the UK at zero cost. Also in the box was a note - "Glad you like the stand, here's to the next 20 years". Absolutely brilliant.
ttf_Remo

Post by ttf_Remo »

I've had a Hamilton stand for close to 40 years now, and no problems with it at all.  A bit small for a bass trombone though.  I also have a UMI - K&M 14990, about 8 years and it's been great.  And I have an older K&M from the early '90's that is very similar to the UMI version, but not quite the same.  I think it may just be an earlier version, the legs are a bit shorter, have rubber cones as feet, a bigger rubber tip on top and it's chrome.  I found this pic of it, anyone got an idea about the K&M model number?

I've had a couple things go wrong with it.  The bottom lock screw stripped out long ago, (brass threads against steel threads, duh) which I just replaced with a thumb screw from the hardware store.  However, the lock screw at the middle for the extension froze up.  Could not get it un-stuck or out at all.  Could not even drill it out!  So a buddy and I fixed it by extending full length, drilling a hole all the way through, and using a cotter pin to keep it in place.  Works fine, just strange how the lock screw froze up like it did.  My only concern on the 14990 is since it's the same lock screws, that it doesn't develop the same problems.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I have 4 K&M 14990 - two black and two silver. 

Bought the silver one first and loved it.  I use it at home.  Bought a second one to throw in my gig bag.  This one was black because they didn't make the silver ones anymore.  Then someone local (Craig's List) sold me a used black one in perfect shape for under $20 - too good to pass up.  I threw that one in my car for when I forget to put the stand in my gig bag.  Finally, I found someone who had some of the silver ones on clearance and bought one just because I like the silver ones slightly better and I figured I'd never see one for sale again.

I think I'm stocked for life.  Or a trombone party.

BTW, there's also a 50 year old Hamilton sitting in the corner which is perfectly functional too, but the K&Ms handle heavier horns better.

I checked the silver ones for a model number but couldn't find one.

ttf_CircusBandMan

Post by ttf_CircusBandMan »

I still have a couple of 40 year old Hamiltons. They're perfect as far as I'm concerned: sturdy, flat to the floor so less chance of some clumsy sax player tripping over them, easy to adjust and they stay adjusted, and, easy to set up and pack up. I even used one with my 72H back in the day, and it was perfectly secure. I wish I had more of them.

I recently bought a couple of super cheap Mainline stands, figuring they would be good enough to sit in the practice room and never see a bandstand. I can't recommend them at all. They're awkward to adjust; the bell sits on a hard plastic flare; and the ball on top is so big I'm afraid it will get stuck in the bell if I extend it up too far. AND, they tend to tilt over slightly when you put a horn on them, because the connections are sloppy and loose. They're trash ... affordable trash, but still trash.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but we have so many threads on trombone stands, I didn't want to start another. I've got a collection of stands for my horns, and I've recently acquired a few more, so I have several different ones to compare side-by-side. Just thought I'd write a short review of my thoughts on each. These aren't all the stands that exist, just the ones that I have.

Unknown in-bell - I got this used on ebay. It's extremely light and compact, and surprisingly sturdy, and really does fit safely inside the trombone bell while it's in the case. Not sure I'd use it on a rickety stage, or for anything but a small bore non-f-attachment horn, but if I had to travel with an instrument stand, this would be the one. It doesn't have any name on it, can someone help me identify it?

On-Stage - cheap, but I really dislike these. The spring is a bad idea, and the round height adjuster grips aren't stiff enough to allow you to tighten it down enough

Hercules hand brace stand - these are nice if you have a horn that you rest with a mute in it (?!) or a horn without a slide lock. Also the only way to make sure you don't stress the slide or the bell - both of which are damaged frequently on conventional stands. Also, these are a lot heavier than they look, and they don't fold down very compactly, so this is a stay at home stand for me.

Hamilton standard - I've had one of these for 40 years. It works. Doesn't break down or set up very easily. Don't like to travel with it. It's cheap.

Aida - high quality, high cost, light weight, works ok, but not excessively stable. Looks like high end photographic equipment. Great to travel with, packs small, but I wouldn't put a bass trombone on it.

K&M 14985 - These are my favorite general use stands because they have low profile round legs that don't threaten your slide crook, and they're easy to tear down and set up. Relatively inexpensive. I know other people prefer the heavy duty UMI stands, but I find those completely overkill, plus the plate stock legs have sharp corners, which are a danger to your slide crook.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

K&M 14990 Image

If you get one, immediately put a little grease on the all the locking knob threads .. and only on the threads.  As well, do not over tighten them.  This will stop the stripping of the threads that some people talk about.  You will have to re-apply the grease every 3 or 4 years.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Duffle on Mar 19, 2015, 10:24AMOnly the old ones' legs will sit flat on the floor. The new ones are not the same. If you have an old one keep it and look after it, they are much better than the new version.....
[s]Why would the legs being flat on the floor make it more stable?  As soon as it tilts from vertical even slightly it will be on the ends of two of the legs, no?  Wouldn't the span of the legs be a more important contributor to stability than the ability to lie flat?[/s]

Sorry, read a little further, now it makes sense.
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

http://www.kolberg.com/products/en_GB/152/product/4928.html

This is what we use in the pit. Heavy beasts but solid. At home I use 3 K&Ms and am quite happy (alto, spare tenor and bass).
Kolberg are a percussion company and make the best percussion stands around so you can trust their work. The 330€ price point may turn you off though.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Dombat on Apr 20, 2017, 12:41PMhttp://www.kolberg.com/products/en_GB/152/product/4928.html

This is what we use in the pit. Heavy beasts but solid. At home I use 3 K&Ms and am quite happy (alto, spare tenor and bass).
Kolberg are a percussion company and make the best percussion stands around so you can trust their work. The 330€ price point may turn you off though.
Wow, they look impressive.  So is the price!!!!
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: SilverBone on Mar 18, 2015, 06:36PMDoes that depend on the vintage of the Hamilton stand?  I have a very old one (50+ years) that will sit flat on the floor.  But I think recent ones may not be able to do that.

Yes.

The new ones are crap.

S.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: sabutin on Apr 20, 2017, 09:45PMYes.

The new ones are crap.

S.
You could say , "The new ones are Trump".  Same thing.

All that aside ... I have a 25YO Hamilton that is of the Trump kind.  I've never liked it much, but it is still doing the same sub-standard job.  I recently bought a couple of the K&M 14990 stands, and they are Obama good.

All foolishness (not really) aside, the K&M are head and shoulders above the current Hamilton in terms of quality, design, stability and usability.  Either way, remember to put a little grease on all the locking screws.
ttf_trombonehawaii

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Apr 20, 2017, 09:49AMSorry to resurrect this old thread, but we have so many threads on trombone stands, I didn't want to start another. I've got a collection of stands for my horns, and I've recently acquired a few more, so I have several different ones to compare side-by-side. Just thought I'd write a short review of my thoughts on each. These aren't all the stands that exist, just the ones that I have.

-----

Aida - high quality, high cost, light weight, works ok, but not excessively stable. Looks like high end photographic equipment. Great to travel with, packs small, but I wouldn't put a bass trombone on it.

-----

The K&M 14990 has been my long-time favorite and most secure feeling stand. Stable and simple design, a little bulky though.

I recently acquired the Aida stand through Horn Guys and have tested it out in rehearsals, transportation, and concert settings.

Rehearsals -
Using it with my Edwards T-350CR, it works like a dream. Stable and balanced with the slide just above the stand leg.
Using it with my Edwards B-502i, it can be a little scary. I set it low so my slide sits just above the stand leg level, this helps to keep it slightly more stable. If the slide sits between the legs of the stand, it has a higher chance of tipping over.

Transportation -
Very light and folds compactly. I have a Marcus Bonna Double Bass and Tenor case and I strap the Aida stand to the case with no problems.
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Just make sure you get one with five legs and your fears of tipping over are over. 

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

K&M 14990. 100%.  Mine got ran over and still works fine! Anybody wants to trade me their 14990 for Hercules or Hamilton stands, let me know. I've got several of those but only one 14990 and I'd like a few more!

Side note: the herclues ones that fit the slides don't work particularly well with the narrow Shires instruments.  (Presumably Conn 88 width too).  They have several "clicks" that determine how wide they are. Basicaly with that width, they are too wide to be fit on one setting but then not wide enough on the immediately narrower setting. You can get around it by making it too narrow and then putting the horn on it, then making it wider again. But not the most optimal solution.
ttf_Big Daddy K

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

I'm still using the old Hamilton I got back in '73. Only problem is the rubber caps keep falling off the feet. Guess I'll break out the Gorilla Glue! I also have a Hercules in bell travel stand for a couple of years now and have had zero problems with it.
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Quote from: Dombat on Apr 20, 2017, 12:41PMhttp://www.kolberg.com/products/en_GB/152/product/4928.html

It's the spitoon added to the leg that runs the cost up... Also those don't appear to be very roadworthy, (as in foldable legs) but are doubtless just the thing for an orchestra pit or rehearsal room.

On a related note, a number of commenters have mentioned watching out for your slide crook being dented by the leg of a stand. On my old Hamilton, I used about 2 inches of Velcro with the sticky back, (just the soft part, not the "hooks") and applied them to the tops of the legs in the area where the slide might contact it. It's just enough cushioning to protect the crook from a metal-to-metal ding, and has probably saved my crook from damage on more than one occasion. Some thin Neoprene or a similar soft material with an adhesive backing would probably work fine, as well.  Image Image
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

Quote from: stanzabone on Apr 21, 2017, 11:54AMIt's the spitoon added to the leg that runs the cost up... Also those don't appear to be very roadworthy, (as in foldable legs) but are doubtless just the thing for an orchestra pit or rehearsal room.

On a related note, a number of commenters have mentioned watching out for your slide crook being dented by the leg of a stand. On my old Hamilton, I used about 2 inches of Velcro with the sticky back, (just the soft part, not the "hooks") and applied them to the tops of the legs in the area where the slide might contact it. It's just enough cushioning to protect the crook from a metal-to-metal ding, and has probably saved my crook from damage on more than one occasion. Some thin Neoprene or a similar soft material with an adhesive backing would probably work fine, as well.  Image Image

They weigh 3kg and are solid they get put in place and stay there. Great for what they are. Useless for travel.
ttf_Big Daddy K

BIG OL' HONKIN' shout-out to the folks at Hamilton Stands!
I emailed them asking about purchasing a top cap and a couple of feet for my 70's vintage trombone stand. The replied saying they'd ship the items out to me AT NO CHARGE. Well, here's what came in today's mail:
Top Cap
Bell Support
4 Feet
All for FREE!
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: Big Daddy K on Apr 27, 2017, 09:58AMBIG OL' HONKIN' shout-out to the folks at Hamilton Stands!
I emailed them asking about purchasing a top cap and a couple of feet for my 70's vintage trombone stand. The replied saying they'd ship the items out to me AT NO CHARGE. Well, here's what came in today's mail:
Top Cap
Bell Support
4 Feet
All for FREE!

I had a similar experience - lost a couple of rubber feet, called Hamilton, sent them a check for $4 for postage, and a few days later received six rubber feet.  Excellent customer service.  I'm now a loyal fan!

ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Big Daddy K on Apr 27, 2017, 09:58AMBIG OL' HONKIN' shout-out to the folks at Hamilton Stands!
Top Cap
Bell Support
4 Feet
All for FREE!

Yeah...but...

My several month old Hamilton's screw tighteners are already pretty well worn out and the cup suppoprt for the bell that's supposed to be adjustable never worked.

A large piece of crap, basically. I'm using it...using tape to set the lengths...but REALLY!!!

They probably sent you and Posaunus extra feet because they can't read very well.

Sorry...I get pissed off when things that I pay for don't work. If I played like they are now making trombone stands I'd be working as a fry cook now.

S.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sorry for your bad experience, Sam.  I think the newer ones aren't as good as the old ones.  I have a couple of Hamilton stands that are 30 years old and work fine, but with a replacement end cap (cane tip) and a cut plunger as a bell support.  The plunger setup I have is probably better than the original dome for my larger bore horns.

But there are other good stands out there.

ttf_Big Daddy K

Quote from: sabutin on Apr 27, 2017, 04:39PMThey probably sent you and Posaunus extra feet because they can't ead very well.

I feel ya pal
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

Over the years I find the bad part of trombone stands is leaving the horn on the stand when you are not with the horn. Flute players seem to be the worst. One took down my horn and two music stands.
If I use a stand I find they work much better if my size 12 is resting on a leg. Otherwise I just do not leave the horn on the stand. I find with my size 12 even the in the bell stands work just fine.
The last few years I just hold my horn and save the trouble of bringing a stand most of the time.
At home I have a stand rack I built that holds seven horns. It is screwed to the floor so as long as the basement floor does not fall over they will be fine. 
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Those K&M 14990s are nice.  I really like the Aida, too. 
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

I have a K&M 14990 and I like it. But...  I now have a Wessex trombone stand and it is much sturdier than the K&M. It is far better for a bass trombone.  It is based on a cymbal stand bottom and a trombone stand top. It is not expensive.

Return to “Accessories”