A Free Remington Playalong

ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

I recently finished a reggae playalong track to go with the Remington Whole Note Warmup. 2 minutes and 20 seconds of longtone goodness, mon! Just put  4 beats in before you go to the next partial in 1st position.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thank you for posting this!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I will use this.  Just what I needed, but found it so hard to find online for free!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Uh, what's the remington warmup? I've never heard of it? Is it like what's in my arban book? Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: miki v on Sep 28, 2008, 05:05AMUh, what's the remington warmup? I've never heard of it? Is it like what's in my arban book? Image

The Remington Warmup Studies are a collection of maintenance exercises that many of us use when we first start playing each day.

It starts with a series of whole notes, exercises to check intonation of the positions, exercises for smoothness in legato, exercises on articulation, flexibility, rangebuilding, etc.  There are 10 exercises (that can be expanded).  You could design your own set, but we all have standardized on these.

If you wanted a "free" version, there are several "warmups" available on the 'Net from Jeff Adams, etc.

ttf_miki v

Post by ttf_miki v »

Thanks for that

I have a number of different warmups from different sources, including ideas of what other people do from within this great forum Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Jul 09, 2008, 09:44AMI recently finished a reggae playalong track to go with the Remington Whole Note Warmup. 2 minutes and 20 seconds of longtone goodness, mon! Just put  4 beats in before you go to the next partial in 1st position.

Thanks, Walt!  This is going to make warming up a whole lot more enjoyable!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

This reply isn't about Remington but SmartMusic  is pretty cool as well. There's a ton of exercises you can do with some kind of funky back ground. There are all kinds of method books you can click on. Scale patterns with some cool accompaniment. To check this out go to SmartMusic.com . It cost me $55 well worth the $$. You can also down load all kinds of concert band charts, Jazz Charts.  You can record yourself. Very good stuff. I am pretty sure if you are a student you can get a student discount when you order SmartMusic. Just throwing this out to be helpful.

Adios.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Where is Jeff Adams website where you can download the Remmington? You didn't give the url.
ttf_WaltTrombone

I guess I was just assuming that everyone knew the Remington Whole Note Study. Not sure about the Jeff Adams site, nor if it has it. I stuck a pdf file of it at the bottom of this post. To use it with my playalong, just stick an extra bar of rest between 10-11, and 24-25.

ttf_Funbone

Post by ttf_Funbone »

I have the Remington Warm-up Exercises. How does one play them. Do you play through the whole set each day. By the way in my version there are 11 not ten sets of exercises.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: LLCJ103 on Oct 22, 2008, 07:19AMThis reply isn't about Remington but SmartMusic  is pretty cool as well. There's a ton of exercises you can do with some kind of funky back ground. There are all kinds of method books you can click on. Scale patterns with some cool accompaniment. To check this out go to SmartMusic.com . It cost me $55 well worth the $$. You can also down load all kinds of concert band charts, Jazz Charts.  You can record yourself. Very good stuff. I am pretty sure if you are a student you can get a student discount when you order SmartMusic. Just throwing this out to be helpful.Adios.

I believe if you're an ITA or AFM member it's quite a bit cheaper.
Worth checking out.

Eric

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

This is great, hopefully I can get my kids to actually do the Remington with the help of this recording!
Thanks for sharing!
MF
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

MP3 is this for the whole note long tones?
ttf_WaltTrombone

Quote from: leewoojin94 on Dec 23, 2008, 08:14PMMP3 is this for the whole note long tones?
Yes.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Jul 09, 2008, 09:44AMI recently finished a reggae playalong track to go with the Remington Whole Note Warmup. 2 minutes and 20 seconds of longtone goodness, mon! Just put  4 beats in before you go to the next partial in 1st position.

Thanks

This is really helpful.  Do you have any other "play alongs"  for the Remington Studies?

PL
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks man I tried using it and it was fun to play with it i never had this much fun warming up.

ttf_bachbone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Is there anymore variations that go with this?  Something like lip slurs would be awesome, but I just want to know if they are out there.
ttf_WaltTrombone

No spare time lately, Koda, but when I get a chance...
ttf_bachbone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Mar 31, 2009, 04:27AMNo spare time lately, Koda, but when I get a chance...

You are great!  Keep it all up!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I love the background for the Remington. Im just a little confused on how you play ur version of Remington. In my high school band we warm-up with remington but we start with an F for four counts and then go to an E natural for four and back up to the F for four but then we hold for four and we repeat with the F for four and then go down to an E flat for 4 and back up to the F and so on and so forth. Just curious on how the real Remington is played.
ttf_WaltTrombone

I've always done it starting on Bb Image Image. I wrote it out, you can find the pdf file at the bottom of this post...

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,40917.msg588557.html#msg588557

No real reason you can't start on F, just not with the playalong. Remington used to adapt his own stuff for different students, so you may come across different versions of things. The version that I wrote out is the one in the Remington/Hunsberger book. Playing the first F in 6th (bar 10), followed by the F in 1st was what Hal Janks (who studied with Remington) used to have us do. Get the 6th position F in tune with the 1st. Sometimes I'll play the 1st low Bb in bar 24 with the F att., to tune it up with the Bb in bar  25 in 1st. I also will sometimes play bars 11-37 down an octave, after I've played it as written.

ttf_miclo9999

Post by ttf_miclo9999 »

hmmm so i see. Thank u for your help
ttf_EarlNeedham

Post by ttf_EarlNeedham »

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Fantastic, I'm just starting playing again after some years away and knew I needed to do plenty of long notes but they bore me to tears - this will help make it more fun!  Thanks.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Really nice, enjoying this a lot.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks for this. It's great!
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Yeah this is a great play along!

I have it on my ipod & do mouthpiece buzzing as I'm driving to gigs.

Thanks again Walt!!

Eric

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Very nice, Walt.

Have to load this onto my iPod. Finally, a practical use for it!

Phil G

Why are there no trombonemoticons?  Image
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Apr 07, 2009, 12:49PMI've always done it starting on Bb Image Image. I wrote it out, you can find the pdf file at the bottom of this post...

I start on Bb too. 

But I add some variations that take longer.  I play each interval twice.  Bb to A, 1 to 2, then again Bb to A, 5 to 2, natural slur, trying to match the intonation and tone quality of the Bb in 1 and the Bb in 5.  And at the end, slide flexibility 5 to 2 alternated with lip flexibility 5-5 (Bb-Gb) trying to match the speed.

If time permits, repeat one partial lower starting on F. 
ttf_WaltTrombone

I kinda like the simplicity of playing it as written, since it's usually the first thing I play in a day, plus I also start out each lesson that I teach with it. No reason you can't add more to it, but that wouldn't be my choice for the first notes of the day or lesson.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: WaltTrombone on Oct 16, 2009, 05:55AMI kinda like the simplicity of playing it as written, since it's usually the first thing I play in a day, plus I also start out each lesson that I teach with it. No reason you can't add more to it, but that wouldn't be my choice for the first notes of the day or lesson.

Yeah, you're right.  I just can't seem to help it.  I start with a simple routine, then after a while I start to think of ways to complicate it, and before I know it that first five minute exercise has turned into 45 minutes and I have no time for anything else. 

Probably the answer for me is a rotation scheme like JP uses.  I'm doing Brad Edwards now, and it should take 20 minutes.  But.............it doesn't.  hee, hee.  I might buy that 11 day Reinhardt book. 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

when we start symphonic season we play chorals, scales and breathing. in marching we use breathing gym....talk about light headed....
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I often use Band In A Box to create simple play-along tracks for my students.  You just pick the rhythm, type in the chords that you want to play along to, and loop it for as many repetitions as you want or need.  On the newer versions, you can turn the whole thing into a midi file, and if your studens can't use a midi, then get a little freeware program called Midi to wave.  I use another freeware program called VanBasco Midi player.  It will not only play your midi files, but it will allow you to change the key, the tempo, and even mute one of the tracks if you decide you don't like it, or want to play that part yourself.  One of the greatest practice facilitators I know is an accompaniment.  It's more interesting than a metronome, and it is a lot more pleasant for whoever else happens to be in the house at the time.  That reminds me of the time we all got stuck at the Templehof Airport because one of the percussion players left the battery in his metronome.  They had to pull off all the luggage and inspect it and we almost got into a whole lot of - - - but I digress.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

By the way, Jeff Adams' site is www.slideadams.com.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

These are great, thank you for posting them.  The playalong is a nice change and the Remington PDF file was helpful to have a more organized warm up for me.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

For an entire course based on the play along concept, go to: http://www.danotman-music.com and check out "16 Weeks to Killer Chops"!  The sample is my original version of Week 1 which has all the notes written out.  You get an organized method to improve your range and endurance and can progress at your own pace.  I guarantee a work out and a good time!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Really, really, really helps with the tedium of long tones.

THANKS!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Cool idea. I haven't tried it yet but will do so tomorrow morning. I'm thinking it might be a good way to get my students doing the Remington again. Many Thanks!!!!!!!!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Michael Davis has a great play-along warm-up with CD accompaniment (2 of them, actually) that are mostly based on Remington. They are called the 15 Minute Warm Up and the 20 Minute Warm Up. They're not free, but well worth the $$$. Both are available on his website...

http://hip-bonemusic.com/

ttf_johntarr

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Yes, the Michael Davis books are quite good. I appreciate the free post here.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

That is so AWESOME Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Should I be willing to admit in public that the "Remington playalong" is the most frequently played song in my iTunes library?  The Remington long tones are typically the third thing I play in a practice session.  Don't know why I need the accompaniment, but it keeps me company.  I play it as written, then do it from F to C in the trigger range.
ttf_johntarr

Post by ttf_johntarr »

My students dig the play along! Thanks once again.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

This looks like fun; but being a relative novice, I can't figure how to use it.
???
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Hi, Gliik, the Remington long tones can be found in "The Remingon Warm-Up Studies" as prepared and edited by Donald Hunsberger.  It is published by Accura Music, and shouldn't be too hard to find.  I probably got it from Hickey's.  The book is full of good daily exercises, and these long tones are the exercise that comes first.  Until you get the book, you can find the exercise at www.boneswest.org/pdf/Remington.pdf.

The point of long tones is to be able to focus on precise intonation and a beautiful sound, free from technical difficulties.  You want to sound as good as you can, while playing in a relaxed manner.  Of course one doesn't need this playalong to do the long tones, but some of us do need the playalong.
ttf_WaltTrombone

You can also find the exercise in this post from the first page of this thread...

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,40917.msg588557.html#msg588557

Look at the bottom of my (earlier) post for the pdf file...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thank you, I tried it yesterday...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Returning to Trombone after 30 or so year hiatus.
Got myself a teacher - best strategy ever.
Teacher just LOVES long notes
This playalong is helping me to love them too
Thank you
ttf_trombonegws

Post by ttf_trombonegws »

What an awesome idea. Thanks for posting!

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”