Music Stand for Laptop

ttf_elmsandr

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Are there any music stands that are strong enough to hold a big laptop? Trying to hold a Dell that weighs about 7.5#.

My Peak doesn't cut it.

Would the Rat Jazz stand support that much?

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_BGuttman

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

That's a honkin' big laptop.  17"?

There is a Hamilton that has clamps for the desk and the post.  It's not portable, though.

I've put my 12.5" Lenovo tablet on a Manahasset Voyager, but for a 7 pounder you'd probably need to put a clamp on the vertical column (I used a hose clamp).
ttf_jackbird

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_jackbird »

You might need a Manhassett with a sand sock around the base.
ttf_elmsandr

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 22, 2017, 08:39AMThat's a honkin' big laptop.  17"?

There is a Hamilton that has clamps for the desk and the post.  It's not portable, though.

I've put my 12.5" Lenovo tablet on a Manahasset Voyager, but for a 7 pounder you'd probably need to put a clamp on the vertical column (I used a hose clamp).
YUP.

Dell 7720.  "Mobile Engineering Workstation."  Glad I have to carry this thing everywhere.  Trying to find a nice mobile platform for it that I can maybe use after hours so that it isn't a waste of space purchase.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_BGuttman

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You might want to look into some percussion hardware.  There is a horizontal platform on a cymbal base that could allow you to put the thing on it and work.

You planning to put music scans in it?  I have a Dell Precision 6400 (17") that I was thinking of looking into but I'm just now working with the Thinkpad X220 tablet (12.5").
ttf_Posaunus

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Don't have mine with me, but the Desca:Presto portable music stand is pretty sturdy, and might just hold a 7½# laptop without collapsing.

https://www.descahome.com/product/desca-presto/

In case case, it's a great, compact, sturdy portable stand, with a built-in accessory shelf (for pencils, spray bottle, extra mouthpiece, ...), that works great. 

Call Bob Waggoner, the manufacturer, for more information.

https://www.descahome.com/about-desca/
ttf_jackbird

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_jackbird »

Quote from: Posaunus on Dec 22, 2017, 09:29AMDon't have mine with me, but the Desca:Presto portable music stand is pretty sturdy, and might just hold a 7½# laptop without collapsing.

https://www.descahome.com/product/desca-presto/

In case case, it's a great, compact, sturdy portable stand, with a built-in accessory shelf (for pencils, spray bottle, extra mouthpiece, ...), that works great. 

Call Bob Waggoner, the manufacturer, for more information.

https://www.descahome.com/about-desca/

Oh, that's very nice. I like that.
ttf_Matt K

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Are you looking for it to be in portrait or landscape mode? I can see the benefits to both, especially with a 17" screen.  17 isd like two ipads side by side and I use my smaller ipad for music fairly comfortably.

ttf_elmsandr

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: Matt K on Dec 22, 2017, 09:39AMAre you looking for it to be in portrait or landscape mode? I can see the benefits to both, especially with a 17" screen.  17 isd like two ipads side by side and I use my smaller ipad for music fairly comfortably.

This is a laptop computer, not a screen.

For all: to be clear, I'm looking for a stand that I need for work to program machines to make car parts.  I was hoping that this investment could line up with a nice new music stand as the side benefit.

I don't plan on reading any music off the computer, the music and computer are entirely separate interests here.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_BGuttman

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I bought one of these when I was taking lessons and had a pile of books to work from:

http://usa.hamiltonstands.com/products_detail.aspx?id=110

It's not portable, but it's sturdy.
ttf_Matt K

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: elmsandr on Dec 22, 2017, 09:52AMThis is a laptop computer, not a screen.

For all: to be clear, I'm looking for a stand that I need for work to program machines to make car parts.  I was hoping that this investment could line up with a nice new music stand as the side benefit.

I don't plan on reading any music off the computer, the music and computer are entirely separate interests here.

Cheers,
Andy

Ah okay. I've used a laptop in portrait orientation before. I basically just used a shelf and turned my machine sidways with the monitor suspended off to the side.  Worked well when I had the space for it.

You might want to go the other direction: finding a laptop stand that could potentially double as a music stand. Maybe something like this:https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Technolog ... ptop+stand
ttf_anonymous

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have a Desca, but there is no way I would trust it to hold anything over five pounds, mine starts collapsing with one of my big band binders on it.
ttf_Posaunus

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Thanks, Dolphin.  My Desca:Presto stand is 3,000 miles away right now, so I couldn't check its weight-carrying capacity. 

In any case, it makes a pretty good, affordable music stand, for even a pretty decent-sized pile / folder / binder of Big Band charts. 

Merry Christmas to all. 
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

A laptop stand for presentations and the like. I have one that is currently holding my TV.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Music Stand for Laptop

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

A laptop stand for presentations and the like. I have one that is currently holding my TV.

Return to “Accessories”