Case for Bb Tenor Horn?

ttf_JohnL

Case for Bb Tenor Horn?

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I've recently acquired a vintage Bb American tenor horn. For those of you not familiar with the type, it's a narrow-bore upright horn keyed in Bb; similar to the baritone horn used in British brass bands. They were used in brass bands and military/concert bands in the 19th and early 20th centuries, but fell out of use as the brass bands disappeared and the military/concert bands switched to tenor trombones.

Although the horn itself is in excellent condition, it did not come with a case, so I'm in the market for same. The complicating factor is that it has front-action valves, rather than the top-action valves used on British-style baritones. I'm seeing baritone cases here and there that might work, but I'm concerned about clearance for the valves.

Those of you who play in ensembles that use British-style baritones, please kinda take a look at the cases and let me know if you see anything that look like it might work.
ttf_BGuttman

Case for Bb Tenor Horn?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

THe case that fits my Olds Ambassador "American" Baritone might work.  It's molded plastic and the horn is kept in place with a leather strap.  The actual horn will probably swim inside -- it's WAY too big.

One other thing I've done for an Eb Couesnon "bass" Flugel is to take an 18" long by 12" wide gym bag, put a few layers of sheet foam inside, and drop the horn in.  Not the greatest protection but good enough to carry from point A to point B in my car.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Case for Bb Tenor Horn?

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

JohnL

I picked up a Besson 3valve Brit baritone from forum member here this summer. No case. No mouthpiece.

The cheapest prefab real case for something like that was about $300. Insanely expensive.

Go to your local Sally Ann Store, or Value Village used clothing and hardware store, and look for a good used suitcase 30" long. Buy a flap of foam and use that around the horn.

My baritone was 23" long. I already had the most expensive Samsonite hard-shell suitcase ever mdae for hauling gear to gigs. The most expensive Samsonite ever made was $400. Two pieces of wood 6" wide to make a partition around the horn, a flap of foam to contain the horn withing the partition shaped like a capital "T"...and with the remainder of the case I have room for straight mute for bass bone, that fits baritone---- stand, music stand, spare shoes and lights. And I can hold any library I want.

A Samsonite has the best quality wheels on the market as well. Get a suitcase with wheels 24" long and the 24" model might work well enough.

You want something on wheels that would even hold an Eb tuba?---- look at ice hockey goalie gear bags.

If you want to buy prefab and insanely expensive look at a camera shop for a case 24" long with the foam already inside...but it'll be more expensive than any horn you could buy.
ttf_mwpfoot

Case for Bb Tenor Horn?

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

Lately I've been buying old hard shell Samsonite etc. suitcases for various purposes at Savers (same mega-thrift as Value Village etc.) for $5 to $15.

ttf_mwpfoot

Case for Bb Tenor Horn?

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

Lately I've been buying old hard shell Samsonite etc. suitcases for various purposes at Savers (same mega-thrift as Value Village etc.) for $5 to $15.

Return to “Accessories”