Marcus Bonna or Bags of Spain?

ttf_boneheaded518

Post by ttf_boneheaded518 »

I'm trying to decide on a case that I can use for flying.  Right now I have the Marcus Bonna super lightweight case which fits well into most overhead bins, but I really don't like the way the slide fits in or the fact that it doesn't stay open easily (I have yet to find a case I really like).  I'm considering selling it and getting the fiberglass double case from Bags of Spain instead, with the hope that I'll like it better and it will also fit easily into an overhead bin with the added bonus of being able to carry two instruments.

I know neither would work if I had to check the instrument, but does one have better protection than the other?  Any of you have a preference and would be willing to impart your wisdom?

Also, what are the odds of being able to fit a King 2B in there instead of an alto?
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I have the Bags of Spain Alto Tenor case. After I altered it I like it.
The slide compartments were too tight. I removed a pin holding the MP block of foam to ease up some space.
I also use a folded towel 4 layers thick between the two bell sections.

I have been told that Bonna cases are better but much more pricey. I also find I work over every case I have to fit a little better and safer. So for me Bags of Spain became a great case.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Check out Edwards. They have a carbon fiber travel case for $550.00. I have the lightweight case and have been very happy.
ttf_boneheaded518

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Nov 12, 2017, 07:45PMCheck out Edwards. They have a carbon fiber travel case for $550.00. I have the lightweight case and have been very happy.

The reason I'm looking at the Bags of Spain case is that it's not nearly that expensive.  I didn't clarify this earlier, but I'm not necessarily looking for a travel case, just a regular case that happens to fit in an overhead bin.  I only use my MB when I'm flying, since my regular case (a Thomann trekking case) is too big to fit in an overhead bin.
ttf_boneheaded518

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Nov 12, 2017, 07:45PMCheck out Edwards. They have a carbon fiber travel case for $550.00. I have the lightweight case and have been very happy.

The reason I'm looking at the Bags of Spain case is that it's not nearly that expensive.  I didn't clarify this earlier, but I'm not necessarily looking for a travel case, just a regular case that happens to fit in an overhead bin.  I only use my MB when I'm flying, since my regular case (a Thomann trekking case) is too big to fit in an overhead bin.

Return to “Accessories”