Flying with Cronkhite small tenor case - Aircraft list

ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

After a tough flight where I had to gate check my instrument (Bombardier Dash-8/Q-300), I thought I'd start a list of aircrafts that can or can't fit the Cronkhite small tenor case (and I assume, the newer ones made by Torpedo cases) in their overheads, for future reference for people wondering if they'll be able to fly with their instrument. Anyone using the same case model is invited to add to that list.

It seems to fit in any medium and large-sized aricrafts, so the big question is for the smaller, regional planes

WILL FIT (confirmed)
-All CRJ models (even CRJ 100, although that's a very tight fit! CRJ 100, 200, and maybe 700 won't fit anything larger than this case)
-Embraer 170, 175, 190, 195
-Fokker 70, 100
-DC9

WON'T FIT!!! (confirmed)
-Dash-8/Bombardier Q models - 100, 200 and 300 series

MIGHT FIT (unconfirmed)
-Embraer 145

MIGHT NOT FIT (unconfirmed)
-Bombardier Q-400
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks for starting this topic! I fly with my Cronkhite small case often so I will reference this and note aircraft types.

Do you use the Cronkhite case for your Egger tenor? If so how do you pad/secure the bell?

Thanks
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: pvh on Sep 29, 2017, 05:35AMThanks for starting this topic! I fly with my Cronkhite small case often so I will reference this and note aircraft types.

Do you use the Cronkhite case for your Egger tenor? If so how do you pad/secure the bell?

Thanks

Yup, although that terribly stressful flight last week on the Q-300 convinced me to get myself an actual sackbut (hard)case that would fit on any plane while also offering better protection...

I usually travel light (horn as carry-on + backpack as "personal item"), so I kill two birds with one stone by saving space and protecting my horn at the same time. socks and underwear to fil the gaps inside the case. In everyday use I don't add any padding. The bell sits against the bottom of the case (which is against my back) and is so far from either of the other sides, it would take a very strong AND targeted impact to reach it.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Quote from: Le.Tromboniste on Sep 26, 2017, 12:17PM
-Bombardier Q-400

Some of the Bombardier Q-400s that Alaska flies out of Portland, Oregon USA (PDX) have no overhead racks at all! Anything that doesn't fit under a seat goes below as you get on the plane.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Updated list

WILL FIT (confirmed)
-All CRJ models (even CRJ 100, although that's a very tight fit! CRJ 100, 200, and maybe 700 won't fit anything larger than this case)
-Embraer 145, 170, 175, 190, 195
-Fokker 70, 100
-DC9

WON'T FIT!!! (confirmed)
-Dash-8/Bombardier Q models - 100, 200 and 300 series

MIGHT FIT (unconfirmed)

-Bombardier Q-400
ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

Just fyi, the Brass Bags double case fits on EVERYTHING (in the US, at least) with overheads, including the Dash-8, which has the smallest bins I've experienced. The only thing I've flown commercially with no overheads is the Air Canada Beechcraft, but they'll usually let me put my case in a seat. Even if they don't, the luggage compartment is no worse than a van.

If I fly with a classical tenor only, I use a Reunion Blues "small tenor" case. That fits on everything too, but it requires a scary squish on the Dash. Fortunately I haven't been on one of those in years.

For multiple instruments and/or bass, I use Pelican cases. That's more complicated.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: baroquetrombone on Nov 13, 2017, 12:29PMJust fyi, the Brass Bags double case fits on EVERYTHING (in the US, at least) with overheads, including the Dash-8, which has the smallest bins I've experienced. The only thing I've flown commercially with no overheads is the Air Canada Beechcraft, but they'll usually let me put my case in a seat. Even if they don't, the luggage compartment is no worse than a van.

If I fly with a classical tenor only, I use a Reunion Blues "small tenor" case. That fits on everything too, but it requires a scary squish on the Dash. Fortunately I haven't been on one of those in years.

For multiple instruments and/or bass, I use Pelican cases. That's more complicated.

Hi Eric!

Mmh. Strange that my Cronkhite didn't fit in the Dash-8 and the Reunion Blues bag does - its the same case. I'm thinking maybe overhead design varies between airlines (there are reports of Q-400s without any overhead at all on some airlines for instance). Or maybe because my experience was with a 300?
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: baroquetrombone on Nov 13, 2017, 12:29PMJust fyi, the Brass Bags double case fits on EVERYTHING (in the US, at least) with overheads, including the Dash-8, which has the smallest bins I've experienced. The only thing I've flown commercially with no overheads is the Air Canada Beechcraft, but they'll usually let me put my case in a seat. Even if they don't, the luggage compartment is no worse than a van.

Hi Eric!

Mmh. Strange that my Cronkhite didn't fit in the Dash-8 and the Reunion Blues bag does - its the same case. I'm thinking maybe overhead design varies between airlines (there are reports of Q-400s without any overhead at all on some airlines for instance). Or maybe because my experience was with a 300?

Return to “Accessories”