Loud Metronome.

ttf_hyperbolica

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

My trombone quartet has some problems with consistent time. Can anyone recommend  a loud metronome that can be heard while 4 players are all going at it? This would possibly be an old fashioned plug-in-the-wall kind.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Portable speaker and a metronome app on your phone. If your speaker is t Bluetooth equipped then an aux cord is all you’ll need.
ttf_bassboneman

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

I have done this with my 6th grade bands...it works to point! when music gets too hard there aint a metronome loud enough to keep them in time Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Audacity click track through a high-wattage stereo system. Got ear plugs?

...Geezer
ttf_timothy42b

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I have the Korg KDM-2, which is the loudest nonamplified one I've found.

I suspect you'll need to go the speaker route though.  
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Dr. Beat, not a phone.
ttf_Matt K

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Yeah, I'd just get a pair of speakers. You can get a decent set for $30.  Find something protable if you want or if you're rehearsing in the same space and have some where to stow them away there, you can get something nicer for the same price. 
ttf_wayne88ny

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

Franz Electric Metronome - my favorite metronome for practicing - This was made from the 1930's to the 1990's - they're always on Ebay - Nice click sound - louder than most, but may not be loud enough if you're all playing FF.

TAMA - these are made for drummers, so you know they're loud - I have a TAMA Rhythm Watch RW105 which hurts my ears at full volume

www.metronomeonline.com - free online metronome - play it through your computer speakers
ttf_baileyman

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_baileyman »

ttf_boneagain

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: wayne88ny on Sep 30, 2017, 09:04PM... which hurts my ears at full volume...

OP consider this as you search.  At a volume loud enough to be heard in an ensemble, the metronomes I've heard get my ears ringing for at least the rest of the night (meaning, until sometime LONG after I've gone to sleep.)

Transients are hard on the ears.  The shapes of transients DO make a difference.  Be heck of a thing if you get a metronome loud enough to hear, then everyone puts in earplugs...
ttf_mwpfoot

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

You can feed a cheap battery metronome into a channel-adjustable headphone amplifier instead of blasting the whole room to cover the one who can hear it the least.

This thing can be found for $25: Behringer MICROAMP HA400 Headphone Amp

In my day the leader just stomped the floor loudly when things bogged down. Along those lines, you might consider a kick drum pedal and a cowbell mount.

ttf_hyperbolica

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Someone else suggested bluetooth single earpieces. It sounds reasonable, although we might have some techno-phobes in the group. Maybe a flashing light would work, although it has always just seemed to be an annoyance in the past.
ttf_mwpfoot

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Oct 03, 2017, 07:27AMSomeone else suggested bluetooth single earpieces. It sounds reasonable, although we might have some techno-phobes in the group. Maybe a flashing light would work, although it has always just seemed to be an annoyance in the past.
There are going to be different latencies with different Bluetooth connections, if you could find some way to broadcast a signal to different devices in the first place. Sounds ... complicated. Can one person use an earpiece metronome and tap while others follow?

I use a pseudo-pendulum light (Matrix MR400) and a quiet click with drums ... the rhythm of the light keeps me on track as I go, and a click OFF the beat alerts me to adjust: can't hear the clicks in time. But this setup utilizes the spaces in drumming that just aren't there in ensemble playing.

ttf_cmillar

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_cmillar »

TAMA Rhythm Watch RW100

You want loud and portable? This is it. It will cut through any ensemble.

Also, you can specify which beats get the 'loud' sounds; and it'll subdivide to sixteenths and triplets.

This is the one used by many drummers for practicing.

I've had mine for over 20 years and it's going strong.
ttf_cmillar

Loud Metronome.

Post by ttf_cmillar »

TAMA Rhythm Watch RW100

You want loud and portable? This is it. It will cut through any ensemble.

Also, you can specify which beats get the 'loud' sounds; and it'll subdivide to sixteenths and triplets.

This is the one used by many drummers for practicing.

I've had mine for over 20 years and it's going strong.

Return to “Accessories”