Dry Mouth Affecting Change of Registers and Articulation

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone,

I am currently experiencing a performance issue that I have not previously faced before.  The problem has come up due to a side effect of my new prescription medication.  It is known to cause dry mouth.  During everyday playing I have not had terrible problems with dry mouth, but when I am performing issues start to arise.

In the past I have had slight issues with dry mouth as a result of nervousness when performing, but it was something I could always work through.  However, now whenever I am performing (especially solo works) I get dry mouth to the point where I always need to keep a bottle of water handy.  I think it is a combination of nerves and my medication that result in this being a new issue.

The biggest difficulty I am facing with dry mouth is changing between more of the extreme registers.  I am a pretty firm believer in not resetting the embouchure when changing between extreme registers, as this is not always practical when you have to change mid passage and want to keep a phrase going.

Another difficulty I am facing due to dry mouth is lack of clarity on the fronts of notes. This happens in both fast passages and and slower passages. I have been told that it sometimes sounds as if my throat is closing up.

Some things I have tried to help work through my dry mouth are:
1) Making sure I am always well hydrated, I drink about a gallon of water a day.
2) I started using a mouthwash that is supposed to promote an increase of saliva production. (Biotene)
3) Forcing myself to practice with a dry mouth
   a) If I start to experience my mouth drying up I continue to practice with a dry mouth and try to work through the difficulties it presents.
   b) I also occasionally force myself to have a dry mouth by using paper towel to dry out my mouth.  (Not the most visually pleasing method, but it worked
      for some players that my previous instructor knew to help combat their issues with dry mouth).

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

First of all, I do not believe in resetting. But that's another issue.

How old are you? Are you on medication whatsoever? Any serious conditions that may affect this?

Do you have this issues only when performing or when practicing as well? (anxiety issue)

Any other symptoms like tremors?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

First of all, drinking a gallon of water every day is not good for you unless you live outside in the desert. Very easy to get hyponatremia. Not going to help dry mouth. If you are thirsty, drink water. Most of the info about drinking huge quantities of water is of dubious origin, either someone wanting to sell their sport drink, or the like. Thirst is the best indicator of hydration needs, with the possible exception of hard exercise in hot weather, but even then, many people over hydrate and give themselves hyponatremia.

Try experimenting with a strong flavor of some sort to get your saliva flowing, you would only need a tiny amount; a drop of lemon, for example. Drinking water while playing might be contributing to the problem by washing your mouth out, making it better very briefly and then turning worse.

Hope this helps. B
ttf_robinsjanis

Post by ttf_robinsjanis »

I have heard that guys put citric acid somewhere on tge instrument, when a players mouth is dry, you just lick the citric acid, which forces your mouth to produce saliva.

I think that for you it's not only the medicine that makes dry mouth, but also maybe your embouchure.

When I haven't practiced enough or over-play before exam or solo concert, my embouchure is tired and needs some rest, if I don't rest and go straight to play, I get nervous, because some notes are not centering, you start to miss notes, emouchure get cramped and you have a dry mouth.

Another think that I have expierenced is over-breathing (not letting CO2 oit of your lungs), you just continue to breath in and the co2 just builds up, you get nervous and you have a dry mouth again.

Hope this will help you! Just control yourself, feel what you're doing.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Maurice Andre used to recommend on almost every masterclass to rub a lemon into upper part of your palm and lick it if needed. You can try also bitting on your lips, but the effect of that is not always predictable.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Is it just dry mouth, or also dry lips?

Do you play with wet lips or dry lips?

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Is it just dry mouth, or also dry lips?

Do you play with wet lips or dry lips?

Return to “Performance”