Best Case out there for a tenor?

welcometobonetown

Best Case out there for a tenor?

Post by welcometobonetown »

I’m getting an early 60s King 2B, and I really want to replace the old case and get a new one. I’m just curious and what everybody else uses. I have no preference, I don’t really need big pockets, but it’s always nice to have some. I’d prefer a soft case however.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Best Case out there for a tenor?

Post by Matt K »

Cronkhite cases are awesome gig bags. I have one for my alto an dI actually wish I would have just gotten the small tenor since I could fit my alto in it just as easy but would also fit my Shires small bore as well as my flugabone.

I really dig the Eastman tenor cases myself in the hard case world. They're lightweight, protective, and water tight! The matte finish do scratch a little easier than the pebble so I tend to recommend the pebble color over the matte finish but that's more of a cosmetic point. Cool incidental feature is you can put bumper stickers on your Eastman case because of the material. Travel somewhere, get the bumper sticker and let everyone know where you're trombone has been!

Another common option for small bores is the SKB 360, which is really protective and also quite lightweight.

Other popular cases for small bores include, but are not limited to, those made by Protec, BAM cases, Marcus Bonna, Basili, and Fusion.
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

Windcraft small tenor case, hands down the best case I've ever had for any trombone.

Small, lightweight, durable.
Extremely comfy backpack straps that hide away.
Shoulder strap.
Really really useful clips for when you want to quickly move the case with the instrument out. Makes sense when you try it.

Used to be available through Dawkes UK. Not sure if they are still in production.

Hamo.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The new King cases for the 2B are super cool. Horn guys carries them.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I second the Cronkhite recommendation. I've heard the new ones make by Torpedo are even better (improved padding material) than when Glenn made them. I used the small tenor case for my sackbut for the last 3½ years and I've never had any problem, it still looks almost new despite daily use and not being particularly careful with it. Super comfortable to carry, fits in any aircraft overhead except on small turboprop planes (even then, should fit in the newer Q-series Nextgen), even on the smallest regional jets. I just switched to a Marcus Bonna hardcase specifically made for sackbuts which is an amazing case, but I'm almost sad I don't use my Cronkhite for daily activities anymore.

(On a side note, with the two-tone leather finish, you'd be surprised how often I've been stopped on the streets or in the subway by people commenting on how classy that gig bag looks)
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
afugate

Post by afugate »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 am The new King cases for the 2B are super cool. Horn guys carries them.
They do look cool. Do you know if they will hold a 3BwF?

--Andy in OKC
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

afugate wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 am
Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 am The new King cases for the 2B are super cool. Horn guys carries them.
They do look cool. Do you know if they will hold a 3BwF?

--Andy in OKC
No clue! They might be a 2B only case, really not sure. I would call and ask.
PVH

Post by PVH »

The Cronkhite small tenor bag is really wonderful. It provides a surprising amount of protection for a soft case. Definitely go for the leather version. I have used one almost continuously for the last 6 years and it still looks brand new.

Maximilien, what is the Bonna sackbut case like? Would you be willing to share the dimensions or any information about it. I didn't know he made them. Thanks.

Paul
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I play large tenor almost exclusively, but the lightweight Marcus Bonna is a case that I'd recommend for anyone! It's extremely durable. Distributing the cost over the period of use, it's the cheapest case out there!
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Doldom

Post by Doldom »

All of you mentioned above are great, but I'd say you must check DAC's NX1 tenor case. It's the most sleekest looking case and fairly compact and gives very good protection. one problem is that you might have to order it directly at the shop from Japan(but their communication is great and willing to ship overseas. I have one, too)
https://www.kkdac.co.jp/inst_info/tromb ... ssory.html
Doldom

Post by Doldom »

Ah,, my recommendation was for a large bore. my mistake.for small bores, cronkhite gig bags .!!
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

The DAC case remind me of the Eastman CE276 I see on some websites.

Otherwise between Basili Lightweight, DAC NX1, and NY custom case which one do you think are the best ?
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Some of the best cases ever were the French style King used for the 2b in the 50s.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Perhaps the Mods could move this thread to a better location...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

greenbean wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 pm Perhaps the Mods could move this thread to a better location...
Second!
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oops! Missed that when it was first posted.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

OK. Moved out of TTF Archives.

I thought the Archives were locked.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Well THAT wasn't my finest moment. When I moved it I looked from the bottom up instead of the top down forgetting they were ordered thusly. /facepalm

TGIF
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Kinda surprised this conversation dropped off. I am looking for a case for my 32H or 80H straight horns and was hoping for something lighter/more compact than the Conn 8H wedge case. SKB360 is in my sights and I found a new return for $80 + tax. I believe the Kanstul 750 I owned was in this case.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I got a case for the Ravel trombone. Came dirt cheap. Fits my Holton Stratodyne. Keep watching Ebay.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WillydeWoofer

Post by WillydeWoofer »

Bam cases from France.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Any word on the IPac case from ProTec?
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I have one for my bass. Its great, I took it on tour to Europe. I had to check it but my horn came out with no damage. Definitely a little on the heavy side though.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Matt K wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm Cronkhite cases are awesome gig bags. I have one for my alto...
Ive been staring at it enough I bought my own Cronkhite alto case. IMO best alto case out there. I don't particularly love the design for a tenor or bass, my favorite is still the Reunion Blues O series for the larger horns.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The kind of case you will like best depends a lot on which aspects of case design are most important to you. Cost? Weight? Luggability? Rigidity? Access? Two trombones? Carries other stuff too?

There's the Gard case with wheels.
There are the indestructible SKB cases.
Stylish Bonna/Basili
cheap and solid Protec
very cheap Kaces
well designed soundwear and Fusion

I have a 35 year old Reunion Blues bag. My horn has never been damaged in it, but some of the leather is starting to wear through. But you can't carry more than a mouthpiece and a water bottle in it. I also have an Altieri, which uses a lot of cheap materials, but protects the slide well. I have a double bass/tenor nylon Cronkhite case which is functional, versatile, and cheap.

Check out the Dillons, Horn Guys and Hickeys sites to compare cases. You'll find rigid and soft, semi-rigid, cases with a lot of compartments and straps, wheels, luxury materials, etc...

The biggest bang for the buck is probably a Protec ProPac, although they're also heavy.
The SKB 462 is also heavy, but protective.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I should add the protec platinum. Far nicer than their other bags, and at 129 and free shiping hard to beat!
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
KingOfDreamland

Post by KingOfDreamland »

norbie2018 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 pm Any word on the IPac case from ProTec?
I had an older iPac that I got with the Getzen 3047 that I used to have. The zipper wasn't in very good shape, there were parts where it had come undone from the case itself so it took some effort to open it sometimes, but everything else about it was good. Lots of room for storage and it wasn't too bad to carry around. I don't know how old it was since I got it used, but I think ProTec has made some redesigns since then.

I have a ProTec Max now, and I'd absolutely recommend it. It doesn't have as much room for storage as the iPac I had, but it still has enough to haul most of what I need to carry with me, the backpack straps are surprisingly useful, and you can't beat the price.
Lead Trombonist - Bent Bell Brass Band, Omaha, NE
King of the Frankenbones! 2x Schiller Studio .547, Bach 36K/42B slide project coming soon, Conn 4H jazzer
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

WillydeWoofer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm Bam cases from France.
Great case!
norbie2018 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 pm Any word on the IPac case from ProTec?
I have an iPac for bass. It is a very good case. Roomy and very protective. A bit heavy but the backpack straps work well. I don't really like zipper cases but this one works so I will keep it as long as I have a horn that needs a home...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I just ordered an ipac tenor case with some ebay bucks burnin a hole in my pocket. I may have to fly with a checked horn real soon, so hopefully this will fit the bill.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Just got my ipac tenor. For the money, really nice. These sure have come a long way from 25 years ago!
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

The iPac is hands down the best case I have owned, I have one for my T396 and it offers good protection!
Ruchard1

Post by Ruchard1 »

Does anyone know if the Eastman fibreglass case will fit a trombone with a Thayer valve?
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

Ruchard1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:51 am Does anyone know if the Eastman fibreglass case will fit a trombone with a Thayer valve?
Yes, it will.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

How about Superfine Cases? :idk:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:01 pm How about Superfine Cases? :idk:
At the time of this post, they didn't exist!
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Superfine cases look great!
One of my tenors lives in a MB Baby case. Really small case with great protection. I like it.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Accessories”