New Greg Black 1G

ttf_Dan Hine

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

I'm no stranger to large mouthpieces and have used some with moderate success.  Never cared for the Black 1.25.  Always seemed MUCH bigger than a 1.25.  Preferred even the Parker Dunkel mouthpiece which is supposedly bigger.  Maybe if someone near me has one, I'll try it.  Otherwise, I think it's out of my league.

Awesome to know some people are having a great experience with it though!
ttf_Matt K

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Matt K »

The 1.25 is definitely on the bigger side in Black's lineup.
ttf_tbathras

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on May 31, 2017, 06:24AM
And they just placed a second order with Greg  Image

I called them up - I'll be making a trip down a week from Saturday - they should have the new GB stock in by then.  Can't wait!
ttf_jwebster

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_jwebster »

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 31, 2017, 06:28AMFrom a Pickett 1.75 to a Black 1g?  That's a huge jump.  Not sure I could handle such a move.   Image

It is not as huge of a leap as it seems at first, but I did get the 1 1/4 out of concern regarding this.

Pickett's numbering system is a bit strange. Their 1 is roughly equal rim wise to a Black 0, 1.3 to a Black 1. Pickett 1.75 would be a 1 5/16 with Black (Pickett is 1.107", Black 1 1/4 is 1.122" and 1 3/8 is 1.098"). With the smaller throat and backbore on the Black, for me they play easier and more efficiently than the Pickett mouthpieces, and I have preferred the 1G over the 1 1/4G both in feel and what I am hearing when I record.

Also, it is worth noting that the regular weight Greg Black Mouthpieces are significantly lighter than the standard Pickett mouthpiece.
ttf_Dan Hine

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Interesting.  I have a Pickett 1.5 and I don't find the thirst all that large.  Is it really larger than Greg's pieces?
ttf_jwebster

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_jwebster »

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 31, 2017, 02:15PMInteresting.  I have a Pickett 1.5 and I don't find the thirst all that large.  Is it really larger than Greg's pieces?

I don't know the specs for throat size and backbore comparing Pickett vs Greg Black. For rim size, yes a 1.5 Pickett is quite a bit larger than a 1.5 Black (1.127" vs 1.063").

For me, the .312"/#2 combo is just a better fit. Don't know if that is about balance between large rim/deep cup and the throat/backbore size, or the thinner rim on the Greg Black, or the lighter weight on Greg Black or a combination of all of the above.
ttf_Dan Hine

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Yes, I'm very familiar with the Pickett mouthpieces.  I should have clarified what I meant.  It sounds like you're saying similarly sized Pickett mouthpieces are larger at the back end compared to the Greg Black you're playing now.  Is that correct?

QuoteWith the smaller throat and backbore on the Black, for me they play easier and more efficiently than the Pickett mouthpieces
ttf_jwebster

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_jwebster »

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 31, 2017, 04:17PMYes, I'm very familiar with the Pickett mouthpieces.  I should have clarified what I meant.  It sounds like you're saying similarly sized Pickett mouthpieces are larger at the back end compared to the Greg Black you're playing now.  Is that correct?

When I say smaller throat and backbore I am referring to the .312/#2 Black vs a standard Black.

I have never seen statistics on throat sizes for Pickett and my digital calipers do not reach into the throat of a mouthpiece. I can not tell much of a difference between the throats/backbores on .312/#2 Black and my Pickett, though.

I can tell you though
- The Greg Black rim is thinner, which for me is more comfortable
- the Pickett is significantly heavier (189 grams for pickett vs 139 g for Black)
- Greg Black cup is deeper
- for me, the Greg Black plays much better, and everyone I have played it for agrees
ttf_Dan Hine

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: jwebster on Jun 01, 2017, 08:52PMWhen I say smaller throat and backbore I am referring to the .312/#2 Black vs a standard Black.

I can tell you though
- The Greg Black rim is thinner, which for me is more comfortable
- the Pickett is significantly heavier (189 grams for pickett vs 139 g for Black)
- Greg Black cup is deeper
- for me, the Greg Black plays much better, and everyone I have played it for agrees

Gotcha!  Thanks for sharing your input/experiences!
ttf_bbone1

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_bbone1 »

After having spent more than 5 years on the Hammond 21, I felt it was time to try out something new. I liked and still do like my Hammonds, but feel the sound is very "locked in" not flexible enough. So over the span of more than one year I tried a lot of what there is available in the Schilke 60 size, also a bit smaller and larger.

Laskey 93
Laskey 95
Greg Black 1
Greg Black 1 #2 backbore
Greg Black 1 1/8
Doug Elliot (don't remember specs unfortunately)
Giddings and Webster Don Harwood
Harwood.

They are all great products and there are many of them who had great features that could have made them my main mouthpiece but for me personally the GB1 #2 (0.312) was not it. I tied it with the hope that it would keep the great features of the standard GB but was a bit more focused and had more clarity. That was however not the case in my experience.

To me it felt like it a lot more "friendly" in terms of control and comfort but seemed to lose the GB qualities, especially that super massive dark sound that I was used to.

I hope to have another chance to try one of those, as too many great players use those now to ignore the trend,but of me it  was a strangly unsatisfying mouthpiece. Image

Again, just MY experience.

ttf_mr.deacon

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

bbone1 you're running out of different mouthpieces to try! You think you'll ever find your Rushmore?
ttf_bbone1

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_bbone1 »

I think I am all set now, but I really wanted something that kept up the good qualities of the Hammond but allowed me to have some more flexibility in sound. Many great options out there.
ttf_slideorama

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_slideorama »

I've done simple play tests versus my old go to's once in a while and I'll keep playing the GB 1G 2.0 for the next year/season.

When we start going into the nuances of timbre, flexibility of sound, etc. I am reminded of an old piano accompanist/organist that I worked with years ago and highly respected (and still do). During a rehearsal for a recital (it may have been the Hindemith Three Pieces for cello), after listening to me try different styles of articulation and phrasing and comparing the renditions of different cellists, he simply replied "It just sounds like a bass trombone to me."

Wise words.

As always, play in tune, on time, and with a good sound.

ttf_slideorama

New Greg Black 1G

Post by ttf_slideorama »

I've done simple play tests versus my old go to's once in a while and I'll keep playing the GB 1G 2.0 for the next year/season.

When we start going into the nuances of timbre, flexibility of sound, etc. I am reminded of an old piano accompanist/organist that I worked with years ago and highly respected (and still do). During a rehearsal for a recital (it may have been the Hindemith Three Pieces for cello), after listening to me try different styles of articulation and phrasing and comparing the renditions of different cellists, he simply replied "It just sounds like a bass trombone to me."

Wise words.

As always, play in tune, on time, and with a good sound.

Return to “Mouthpieces”