Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

ttf_Driswood

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces - are these completely new mouthpieces, or the same pieces with a new outer profile and higher price?

If they are completely reworked, inside and out, cool.

If not, it's like the record companies selling me the same album twice - once on vinyl, again on CD.

Jerry Walker
ttf_trombonemetal

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

I have two. A 12c and 6.5a. They play well. Better (for me) than stock Bach.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

I really want to try an 11c but don't trust Bach enough to shell out for one.  Image
ttf_Matt K

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Jan 19, 2017, 07:58AMI really want to try an 11c but don't trust Bach enough to shell out for one.  Image

If I were looking for something in that size, I'd give the BrassArk replica a shot first, although they're more expensive than the Artisan ones. Heard very good things about them. 
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 19, 2017, 08:00AMIf I were looking for something in that size, I'd give the BrassArk replica a shot first, although they're more expensive than the Artisan ones. Heard very good things about them. 

Yeah... from me!  I bought the first one.

ttf_Matt K

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Jan 19, 2017, 10:29AMYeah... from me!  I bought the first one.

Well there you go. /footinmouth  Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Jan 19, 2017, 07:58AMI really want to try an 11c but don't trust Bach enough to shell out for one.  Image

I don't blame you. I bought an Artisan 7C and hated it. One of the very few mpcs I ever sold to get rid of. Two happiest days of my life recently were when I bought it and when I sold it.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Aren't the differences mostly with the blank used? ie the blank is reminiscent of the old original bach mouthpiece blanks (very rounded).

For what it's worth the blank style can have a big impact on how the piece plays.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Image  But in the case of the Artisan "7C" I bought - it was way more like a 12C.

...Geezer
ttf_Bimmerman

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

I have an Artisan 11C I bought from a member here. I haven't spent a ton of time with it to give a review (been playing large bore lately), but from the little I have played it it seems fine.

I'd love to try the 6.5A though.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I have an Artisan 7C. Loved it in the showroom and got home and really put it to work. Too bright and not the core and flexibility of my Mt Vernon 7C`s. Tried it on all of my horns and really tried to like it until....
I put it into my Bass Trumpet and the brightness was what I wanted on this horn. So I found a use for it.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Jan 19, 2017, 04:37PMI have an Artisan 7C. Loved it in the showroom and got home and really put it to work. Too bright and not the core and flexibility of my Mt Vernon 7C`s. Tried it on all of my horns and really tried to like it until....
I put it into my Bass Trumpet and the brightness was what I wanted on this horn. So I found a use for it.

There you go!

I like the IDEA of an Artisan 7C, if Bach would do it right. I guess I got Bach'd and I couldn't Handle it, but I still have one on my Litz.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You've got a Litz?  I have a Liszt: Shopping Liszt, To-Do Liszt, and a Liszt Piano Concerto. Image Image Image
ttf_savio

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_savio »

Anyone playing the artisan 1 1/2g?

Leif
ttf_hassein

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_hassein »

I have one Leif-you want it?
ttf_blast

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: hassein on Jan 20, 2017, 05:02AMI have one Leif-you want it?

That good Don ????

Chris Stearn
ttf_wgwbassbone

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: blast on Jan 20, 2017, 05:59AMThat good Don ????

Chris Stearn

Image Image
ttf_savio

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: hassein on Jan 20, 2017, 05:02AMI have one Leif-you want it?

Thanks yes! I'm curious. It should be better than a regular one? But maybe not the same as my Mt Vernon, still I'm curious  Image

Don, if it blows about the same as a regular bach, keep it. And I suspect it does since you give it away.... Image

Leif
ttf_hassein

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_hassein »

It has a slightly different outer shape, fits further into the leadpipe. Does not blow like the modern ones. Is on the smaller side of the Mt.Vernons.
ttf_hassein

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_hassein »

Didn't mean I'd give it away, but I could be persuaded to sell it. I got it from Japan.
ttf_savio

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_savio »

Chris, have you tried it? Fancy name and fancy outside, but that's it? Well I'm just curious. It's been some time since it come out and I don't see many talk about it.
There will never be a "new Mt Vernon "

Leif
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

It isn't trying to be a new Mount Vernon. It is just another piece to try. I didn't like the 1 1/2G but I don't play ithat size range, just another option.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Jan 20, 2017, 03:19PMIt isn't trying to be a new Mount Vernon. It is just another piece to try. I didn't like the 1 1/2G but I don't play ithat size range, just another option.

I have to respectfully disagree, based on their marketing.
ttf_blast

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_blast »

I have not tried one. Don sent me a pic of it. Could be interesting... I have seen the 5G model.... bore and backbore are very tight.... I have a PHD piece that has a similar bore and backbore.... and obviously made from a Bach blank. I think some NY Bachs may have had these specs, but been designed to be opened out to the customer's requirements.

Chris Stearn
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

From their webpage:
No other brand evokes more passion, loyalty, and respect than Bach Stradivarius. Exceptional tonal color, balanced response, and superb projection are the hallmarks of designs by Vincent Bach. Carrying on the legacy and true to the vision of the master craftsman, the makers of today's Bach Stradivarius proudly introduce the Artisan Collection. Skillfully handcrafted, Artisan culminates in a unique blend of classic design, elegant styling, and the signature Bach sound. Whether a passionate enthusiast or performing artist, experience The Artisan Collection and discover the Artisan within.

That doesn't seem to be marketing about being like New York or Mount Vernon. Just saying they are making quality products.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Literally every dealer website I can find has this description:

Going back to the Vincent Bach Vault in the design of New Artisan Mouthpieces

Drawing on the recent success of the Artisan trumpet collection, Vincent Bach is proud to announce the launch of a completely new line of trumpet, cornet, and trombone mouthpieces.  These Artisan mouthpieces are a tribute to the success of the legendary craftsman with design elements reminiscent of the 1920’s era models built in New York City.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

From Hickeys:

For many years, manufacturers and individuals have produced copies of old New York and Mount Vernon Vincent Bach mouthpieces. The idea was to replicate early designs that were no longer available from Bach, models bypassed in favor of more modern dimensions. In the brass community, there has long been an affinity for these early models, and many have written accolades about performance improvements gained by using them. Now, Bach has gone back into the vaults and reproduced these famous designs direct from the original blueprints.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

And here, on Conn Selmer's website it even says so. It also says they're based on "closely guarded" original mouthpieces that have been kept since Bach was alive.

Image Image Image

http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/features/artisan-mouthpieces
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Jeez.. you are right. I have never heard anyone say they are anything like the old pieces. Well no one who has played them...
ttf_Ellrod

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Jan 20, 2017, 06:38PMAnd here, on Conn Selmer's website it even says so. It also says they're based on "closely guarded" original mouthpieces that have been kept since Bach was alive.

Image Image Image

http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/features/artisan-mouthpieces

They're in there with the KFC secret blend of herbs and spices and the Coca Cola formula.
ttf_Emisaumell

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

I have the 5g version.. Love it. Combined the best of both worlds. Comfortable rim and a nice sound.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Quote from: Ellrod on Jan 20, 2017, 08:32PMThey're in there with the KFC secret blend of herbs and spices and the Coca Cola formula.

Take it back. Not even the one off Minnick custom artist mouthpieces hold a candle to how special the KFC spice blend is!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Bach Artisan Mouthpieces

Quote from: Ellrod on Jan 20, 2017, 08:32PMThey're in there with the KFC secret blend of herbs and spices and the Coca Cola formula.

Take it back. Not even the one off Minnick custom artist mouthpieces hold a candle to how special the KFC spice blend is!

Return to “Mouthpieces”