Bob Reeves/Brass Ark 11C?

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

Anyone playing on one of these yet?

I've just ordered one Image

Noah convinced me it's a worthwhile purchase.......  Image

ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

It's my main piece (I bought the first one  Image Image). 

Read my review of it here: http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=95720.0;imode

Also here: http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=95241.0

I love a lot of mouthpieces, but this is my favorite.  It simply sounds better in MORE situations than other mouthpieces I have.  Since I do a lot of different types of work, it's the best one for me at the moment. 
ttf_Chris Fidler

Thank you John, much appreciated and good to hear Image

I'm looking forward to the experience!!!

Cheers,
Chris.

P.S. Did you end up with the Clarke and 5G too?
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Not yet...  Image

I'd talk with Noah for a long time before buying a 5g or 5gs.  They have multiple iterations and I would want to make sure to get the right one.  Different blanks, throats, etc.

The Clarke is going to happen for me sometime soon.  I have a 36 and I can't imagine a better companion for it. 
ttf_Chris Fidler

I had an original Clarke L which I sold to Sam Burtis........ Wish I'd never sold it :-(

Looks like I may have to get one from Noah at some point...... The original was fantastic and in perfect original condition!!!
ttf_heinz gries

Post by ttf_heinz gries »

Hello Noah,

I have seenn the Bob Reeves/Brass Ark Mouthpiece on your website. Which kind of plating is the version, looks like copper? Is it possible to get the 11C with this kind of red plating?
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Quote from: heinz gries on Jan 17, 2017, 04:54AMHello Noah,

I have seenn the Bob Reeves/Brass Ark Mouthpiece on your website. Which kind of plating is the version, looks like copper? Is it possible to get the 11C with this kind of red plating?

It's rose gold.  I think it's the same price as regular gold plate. 
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Thanks for your very in-depth analyis of the various mouthpieces!

Think I'll have to try the Reeves for sure.
ttf_Slipmo

Post by ttf_Slipmo »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Jan 17, 2017, 06:01AMIt's rose gold.  I think it's the same price as regular gold plate. 

It is rose gold  Image
ttf_TromboneMonkey

ttf_Chris Fidler

Cute  Image
ttf_Chris Fidler

Hey all,

By far the best 11C I've ever played on  Image

Really comfy and easy to play with a GREAT sound.

Noah has something special here!!!!

Cheers,
Chris.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Nice!

I expect to see these becoming a popular choice...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been playing the 11c with my Shires Michael Davis + for a few solid months now, including a season on lead for Singin' in the Rain. As others have mentioned it just has a great sound...full of character. Comparing it to a Bach 11c (fairly recent version) the Bach, while playing well just feels quite dull. The BrassArk piece does everything really well and is very easy to play and colour over the whole range of the instrument, flexibility is great and the workmanship is second to none. It has a lot of power and punch when needed and very clear articulations.

It was perhaps my fairly new horn too, but my band mate on 2nd/bass bone who I've played with a fair bit over the years noticed a difference and had some very nice things to say about the sound.

Another piece I like the feel and sound of but could never quite make work (I couldn't get rid of the fuzz in the sound even after a month or so of solid playing), was the Ferguson 11c which is based on a Minick 11c. I felt this piece had a similar characterful sound like the BrassArk 11c, but a lighter overall feel. The rim is slightly thinner and feels very comfortable, but overall the BrassArk 11c is a better overall package for me, and just a bigger, clearer sound.

I also bought the Clarke 6.5 for my Edwards .525 and whilst I haven't spent a great deal of time on it as of yet in performance situations, it's easily the best 6.5 piece I've played, and has a lot of the similar characteristics of the 11c for my money. It feels a little on the smaller side than other 6.5ALs I've played which I like...it might have a slightly tighter throat but I don't really know exact measurements.

I've recently also picked up the 'Mr Bass Bone' piece which felt great immediately on my bass.

Don't forget the great cylindrical mouthpiece holders/pouches these pieces come in, brilliant little design right there!!  Image

Gareth

ttf_TromboneMonkey

I just remembered a goal of mine from earlier days, which had been to sound like "Conrad Gozzo except on lead bone".  That faaaat and lush lead sound with plenty of edge on top was what I was seeking. 

I realize now, that this 11c makes that type of sound production very accessible, which is why I think I like it so much. 

ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Anybody use one of these in their alto?

I'm borrowing a Greg Black 11C L from someone and am really liking it on alto so I might be in the market for a nice 11C type piece.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I recently picked up a barely used BA 11C. Not an 11C at all. rim feels like a Bach 7. still getting used to it. Slots really well, and has a good upper range.
I was surprised at the look. From the pictures I`ve seen it sort of looked like an old Giardinelli but seeing it in person it reminds me a little of the design of the old Herco mouthpieces
or this mouthpiece that Wayne Andre played back in the late 80`s
Tomorrow will be the 1st boig test in a resl life situation
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Mar 25, 2017, 10:35AMI recently picked up a barely used BA 11C. Not an 11C at all. rim feels like a Bach 7. still getting used to it. Slots really well, and has a good upper range.
I was surprised at the look. From the pictures I`ve seen it sort of looked like an old Giardinelli but seeing it in person it reminds me a little of the design of the old Herco mouthpieces
or this mouthpiece that Wayne Andre played back in the late 80`s
Tomorrow will be the 1st boig test in a resl life situation

Will you be bringing it to the Trombone Fest with you? We can swap. You can try my 34B, and I'll try your 11C.

Jerry Walker
ttf_Dukesboneman

Sure

ttf_GeeSamYouWell

Post by ttf_GeeSamYouWell »

My endurance has improved significantly with this one. Great sound and feel, too. Happy to say I've finally found the one! Now I can sell all the other mouthpieces I've been collecting.

(I'll need to sell quite a few to pay for this thing, so keep an eye on the classifieds!)  Image
ttf_Slipmo

Post by ttf_Slipmo »

Quote from: Driswood on Mar 26, 2017, 04:55PMWill you be bringing it to the Trombone Fest with you? We can swap. You can try my 34B, and I'll try your 11C.

Jerry Walker

I'll have a table at ITF, so we'll have all of the mouthpieces there to try  Image
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Slipmo on Mar 30, 2017, 12:59PMI'll have a table at ITF, so we'll have all of the mouthpieces there to try  Image

Noah,

I was referring to the Tampa Bay Trombone Fest April 22nd in Palm Harbor FL

But you're certainly welcome to attend!!!   Image

Jerry Walker
ttf_Chris Fidler

I'm a couple of months into this Mpc and am digging it immensely!!!!

Matches my new Rath R12 perfectly.

May well have to investigate the Clarke 6.5 for my R3 very soon.

GREAT work Noah and Bob .......  Image Image Image
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Question for you BA 11C users:

I'm wondering how the rim feels (in diameter, width, subjective feel, etc.) compared to the following pieces you may or may not be familiar with while in your travels.

Does it feel like it's in the same diameter range as the pieces listed below? (...give or take a .mm)

(...just following up on MonkeyMan's great posts from a couple of months ago....)

I can use the following mouthpieces quite well, and can switch between them on my old Bach 16 (brass slide/16M bell):

- Stork T2 lightweight (rim feels thinner and rounder; has good balanced air flow into horn in all ranges)
- Warburton 12M / T4 (rim feels flatter than Stork; has good airflow in all ranges)
- Schilke 47B (rim feels similar to Warburton, but a touch larger; good air flow)
- Yamaha 46C2  (rim is very comfy like Warburton, not too round; air flow can get stuffy)
- Bach 11C  (comfy rim, could never get great attacks; air will back up in high range)
- Bach 7C  (comfy rim, more rounded than the Warburton; good air flow but gets stuffy as lips warm up)

Each mouthpiece has a distinct sound to it. Big band section mates like my sound on the Stork the best on my particluar horn when I play lead.

I know.... I should just buy one and try it...

Any comparisons are most welcome! Thanks all.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Quote from: cmillar on Apr 07, 2017, 07:32AMQuestion for you BA 11C users:

I'm wondering how the rim feels (in diameter, width, subjective feel, etc.) compared to the following pieces you may or may not be familiar with while in your travels.

Does it feel like it's in the same diameter range as the pieces listed below? (...give or take a .mm)

(...just following up on MonkeyMan's great posts from a couple of months ago....)

I can use the following mouthpieces quite well, and can switch between them on my old Bach 16 (brass slide/16M bell):

- Stork T2 lightweight (rim feels thinner and rounder; has good balanced air flow into horn in all ranges)
- Warburton 12M / T4 (rim feels flatter than Stork; has good airflow in all ranges)
- Schilke 47B (rim feels similar to Warburton, but a touch larger; good air flow)
- Yamaha 46C2  (rim is very comfy like Warburton, not too round; air flow can get stuffy)
- Bach 11C  (comfy rim, could never get great attacks; air will back up in high range)
- Bach 7C  (comfy rim, more rounded than the Warburton; good air flow but gets stuffy as lips warm up)

Each mouthpiece has a distinct sound to it. Big band section mates like my sound on the Stork the best on my particluar horn when I play lead.

I know.... I should just buy one and try it...

Any comparisons are most welcome! Thanks all.

It feels noticeably smaller than a Stork T2, to me.  Bigger than a 12M, but which 12M?  The pre-fire ones are a lot bigger...

The Reeves measures at exactly .98 inches.

It doesn't "accept" as much air as a Warburton or Stork but compresses more evenly for me.  By that I mean to say it controls itself in all dynamic ranges and ranges better than other mouthpieces.  It just sounds nice no matter what I do with it.

A lot of players also like my sound on a Stork in a section, even moreso on a Marcinkiewicz Ulyate model, but when I solo... the Reeves wins all day every day.  Warburton is a good combination between both, although some players like the "fat" Reeves lead sound too. 

ttf_Dukesboneman

To me, It feels a little like a Bach 7
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

My Warburon 12M is an 'Oviedo', and feels great on the face in every range.

Section mates say I'm a touch darker and clearer on the Stork, though, and I'm heard better by the section when I play it. I like the Warburton for soloing, though... feels like more 'compression' and control.

And, I do like my older Bach Corp. 7C...good for a couple of charts...but then it starts to back up on me. Tried a guys '7' once and liked that it was a touch more open.

By deduction.... guess I better try the BA 11C, seeing as it's a .980 like the Warburton.

It all keeps life interesting.

Thanks for the always interesting insights!
ttf_Chris Fidler

Just get it tried, Noah has a return policy if you don't like it!!!!

I feel it's different to anything I've played on in the 11C range with the added bonus of having a roomier rim Image
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Apr 08, 2017, 04:05AMJust get it tried, Noah has a return policy if you don't like it!!!!

I feel it's different to anything I've played on in the 11C range with the added bonus of having a roomier rim Image

Chris

How does it compare to the MN 11.
ttf_Chris Fidler

The rim is slightly narrower and has a wider diameter.

I can get more chop into it which I like very much.

The MN has slightly more core to the sound probably due to weight but the cup on the MN is also a bit more U shaped.

I prefer the BA/Reeves because it seems a little bit easier to colour, however the main point for me is the rim being just right (for me) Image

Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Chris.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Apr 09, 2017, 03:08AMThe rim is slightly narrower and has a wider diameter.

I can get more chop into it which I like very much.

The MN has slightly more core to the sound probably due to weight but the cup on the MN is also a bit more U shaped.

I prefer the BA/Reeves because it seems a little bit easier to colour, however the main point for me is the rim being just right (for me) Image

Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yes it does, I play the MN because the 25mm rim works, yes lots of core but does lack a bit in the ability to colour as you said because of the weight!

Cheers

Chris
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: cmillar on Apr 07, 2017, 12:46PMMy Warburon 12M is an 'Oviedo', and feels great on the face in every range.

Section mates say I'm a touch darker and clearer on the Stork, though, and I'm heard better by the section when I play it. I like the Warburton for soloing, though... feels like more 'compression' and control.

And, I do like my older Bach Corp. 7C...good for a couple of charts...but then it starts to back up on me. Tried a guys '7' once and liked that it was a touch more open.

Thanks for the always interesting insights!

Being Canadian like you Cam, I tried and am using a Yamaha Al Kay signature. Like the BA mouthpiece of this thread, I believe it to be a facsimile of a great 11C.

The price is a consideration for the Al Kay mouthpiece: it was $48 CAD new, but I got a used one (like new condition) at L&M for $35 (about $25 USD). I don't know why this piece is only available in Canada; it could have seen wider distribution like the 697Z and 897Z.

I can't say whether the BA piece is the same or better, but I can add it to my list of future projects.
ttf_Chris Fidler

Quote from: vegasbound on Apr 09, 2017, 03:46AM
Hi Chris,

Yes it does, I play the MN because the 25mm rim works, yes lots of core but does lack a bit in the ability to colour as you said because of the weight!

Cheers

Chris

The Brass Ark piece is a tad larger in diameter than the MN...... Not sure I made that clear!!!!
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Apr 09, 2017, 05:58AMThe Brass Ark piece is a tad larger in diameter than the MN...... Not sure I made that clear!!!!

Yes you did...so probably not for me then!

ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Quote from: Torobone on Apr 09, 2017, 05:21AMam using a Yamaha Al Kay signature.

Ya' know, I've never tried one....but!...if it helps me become a fraction of the player Al is, I have to give it a go! He's supreme at anything he plays.

Torobone.. Have you tried a Yamaha 46C2? How's Al's piece compare to it? More open? Similar rim? (...I'll get myself into a Long and McQuades!)
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: cmillar on Apr 09, 2017, 03:47PMYa' know, I've never tried one....but!...if it helps me become a fraction of the player Al is, I have to give it a go! He's supreme at anything he plays.

Torobone.. Have you tried a Yamaha 46C2? How's Al's piece compare to it? More open? Similar rim? (...I'll get myself into a Long and McQuades!)

I believe my 891Z came with a 46C2; I sold it to a friend as I had bought the Al Kay mouthpiece. As I remember it, the 46C2 was ok, but not right. I have been playing the Al Kay since 2010.

Al Kay was inspired to help design his signature MP when he went into L&M one day and tried the 5 Bach 11Cs they had in stock - they were all different. So he had Yamaha build a consistent one.

I called Al in 2009, and I've been taking one or two lessons per year with him since then. Not only is Al a fantastic player, he knows exactly how he does it and he communicates his ideas well. I learn so much in each lesson. He takes notes and gives them to me at the end of the lesson.

Cheers,
Martin

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Torobone on Apr 10, 2017, 05:39PMI believe my 891Z came with a 46C2; I sold it to a friend as I had bought the Al Kay mouthpiece. As I remember it, the 46C2 was ok, but not right. I have been playing the Al Kay since 2010.

Al Kay was inspired to help design his signature MP when he went into L&M one day and tried the 5 Bach 11Cs they had in stock - they were all different. So he had Yamaha build a consistent one.

I called Al in 2009, and I've been taking one or two lessons per year with him since then. Not only is Al a fantastic player, he knows exactly how he does it and he communicates his ideas well. I learn so much in each lesson. He takes notes and gives them to me at the end of the lesson.

Cheers,
Martin

Got to agree with the comments about Al, I had the same experiemnces around 2009 and Al kindly sent me one of his mouthpieces as you couldn't get them in the UK at the time......unfortuanately I sold a horn and it was in the case, didnt feel right about asking for it back!

ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: vegasbound on Apr 11, 2017, 12:26AMGot to agree with the comments about Al, I had the same experiemnces around 2009 and Al kindly sent me one of his mouthpieces as you couldn't get them in the UK at the time......unfortuanately I sold a horn and it was in the case, didnt feel right about asking for it back!

If I was looking for something to do in the export business, I could sell Al Kay signature mouthpieces.  Image

Sorry for highjacking the thread, but it is relevant to alternate 11Cs.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Torobone on Apr 15, 2017, 03:25PMIf I was looking for something to do in the export business, I could sell Al Kay signature mouthpieces.  Image

Sorry for highjacking the thread, but it is relevant to alternate 11Cs.

They are still not easily obtainable in the UK!
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

I had one on trial. I liked it a great deal...an very even blow up and down and a good, full sound. However, I have several classic Bach 11Cs that I also like, and the m'pce that I play most...a unmarked Minick "11C on steroids"...although not as even as the Brass Ark version has some very specific strengths that keep me coming back to it, so I eventually decided not to buy the Brass Ark one. However...I highly recommend it. If I was rich I would have bought it just because it was such a well-designed piece.

S.

P.S. I also tried the Clarke. Another very good piece, but again...I have a NY Bach Clarke S that I love so I sent it back.

Sigh...

ttf_TromboneMonkey

Cam did you end up getting one?

I ordered the Clarke.  The 11c has just rendered every other mouthpiece I've tried since a disappointment.  I expect the Clarke will work splendidly as well. 
ttf_Dukesboneman

What`s an MN mouthpiece? I`m not familiar with these
ttf_Bellend

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Apr 24, 2017, 04:24PMWhat`s an MN mouthpiece? I`m not familiar with these

It's the Rath Mark Nightingale signature model which was based on one of Mark's Charlie Lopers.
A lot of folks love em' this side of the pond, if you like an 11C ish size piece definitely worth trying.

BellEnd
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Quote from: Bellend on Apr 24, 2017, 11:01PMIt's the Rath Mark Nightingale signature model which was based on one of Mark's Charlie Lopers.
A lot of folks love em' this side of the pond, if you like an 11C ish size piece definitely worth trying.

BellEnd

It was the only Rath model not carried at ETW.  Facepalm. 

I do have a Marcink Charlie Loper and it's a good piece but very stuffy compared to my Reeves.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Apr 24, 2017, 04:10PMCam did you end up getting one? 

Howdy....I'll wait for another month or so until after the 'tax season' is figured out and I see what's left in the bank account!

In the meantime, I'm playing a Stork T2 lightwt that is working very well. People are liking my sound with it, despite a few reservations I have of my own.

But, at least now I'll have a good benchmark to test things out.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Apr 24, 2017, 04:10PMCam did you end up getting one? 

Howdy....I'll wait for another month or so until after the 'tax season' is figured out and I see what's left in the bank account!

In the meantime, I'm playing a Stork T2 lightwt that is working very well. People are liking my sound with it, despite a few reservations I have of my own.

But, at least now I'll have a good benchmark to test things out.

Return to “Mouthpieces”