And who in their right mind chooses ANY mouthpiece? Plus how to choose, as well.

ttf_artyart

And who in their right mind chooses ANY mouthpiece? Plus how to choose, as well.

Post by ttf_artyart »

Quote from: bob tromboneguy on Nov 15, 2007, 09:13AMSo, did anybody conclude if there is one IDEAL gap for the mouthpiece and slide reciever? Someone said it is 2mm for trumpet, but what about trombone?

I mean, it's possible that it exists, and it's based on real physics in some way. For example, Sam is fooling around with plumber's tape to get the "sweet spot" on each mouthpiece. But, let's not forget that mouthpiece shanks are different. So, maybe he's just finding the maesurement as it relates to that shank/leadpipe combination.

And...How would one measure these, anyway?

Mouthpiece receivers on a trombone (for the most part) are part of the lead pipe, and wouldn't quite behave the way a receiver would on a trumpet, there will ALWAYS be a small lip , or step on a trombone, UNLESS some manufacturer makes a trombone with a separate receiver,ala' trumpets horns,tuba's,euphs,(well just about anything else....) where the mouthpiece end mates up to the start of the lead pipe. Anyway..... that means when we place a mouthpiece in the horn, rather than a gap, there would be a step, that step would be dictated by how thin the wall of the mouthpiece is at the large end of the inside taper. If you were to add plumbers tape to the shank of the mouthpiece, you would be changing how far into the receiver the mouthpiece would fit, OR compensating for any irregularities in the taper of the shank and the lead pipe. (done this a few times) The depth of the shank in the receiver can change the feel of resistance, and to some degree the "slotting" of the harmonics. Sometimes you can find a spot that's a better fit for your playing by doing this, or adjust the feel of the instrument/mouthpiece combination to suit your tastes.
You could open the taper of the mouthpiece backbore to have a very thin end, but it most likely would almost be too open (almost) and probably would get damaged pretty quickly.....

Anyway thats my experience with this and my .02
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: artyart on Dec 14, 2008, 09:59AM...
You could open the taper of the mouthpiece backbore to have a very thin end, but it most likely would almost be too open (almost) and probably would get damaged pretty quickly.....
...I've done this a couple of times.  Works great.  But, it does get damaged easily (but, being thin it's easy to round out again).  Also, you will sit there sanding it down...  trying it repeatedly...  Sounds great...  Sounds better...  Sounds AWESOME...  Sounds LIKE CRAP.  Too far.  Next m'pc...  Try again...

Got tired of finding another copy of the same m'pc to do this to again.  Even with pretty consistent pieces, in my case these were Schilke 51s and 60s.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_FerhyaSlide

Post by ttf_FerhyaSlide »

When im back from Slide Factory, and i got my most wanted Mouthpiece ever in the pocket, ill go to the music store, take a blindfold, my King 2104F, and have some hours of fun, with trying,,,

I think that a bit smaller mouthpiece (Wick 9BL, instead of my 6BL i got now) will do greast things...
when i am getting mew Mouthpieces, i will inform yall thru TTF
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I can't wait for a big tenor! I have
a Faxx 5G
Yamaha Canadian Brass
Wick 5BL
Josef Klier 5BL
G&W Euros
Griego NY 4.5

to try on one!

waiting...
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I have found that Bach Mouthpieces are the ones that work the best for me. Nothing works for me like my 7C. Resently I picked up a Mt. Vernon 7C. Very different animal. I like it but it is very different from my mid `70`s 7C. Darker and it does not project like the other. However it seems (to me anyway) that there is a sound in the articulation, and a quicker attack.
My 2 cents
ttf_cb56

Post by ttf_cb56 »

Sometimes I wonder if we don't just adapt to whatever we are using. After several months on the mouthpiece merry go round, I finally decided to stick with the common as dirt Yamaha 48. Why? Rim size felt good and it sounded great on my 3B. I now have a 48D and a 48B, same rim, deeper cup(48D) and shallower cup w/ narrower throat (48B).

I used to play smaller mouthpieces (12c then 7c) and thought I hated 6 1/2 AL. I got a 6 1/2 AL with a horn I recently bought and it played so similar to my Yamaha 48 I could hardly tell the difference. Tone was a bit edgier on the Bach.

Last Summer I played a 5G on a king 4B at a store and though, "This feels a bit big but I could get used to it"

Just make me kind of wonder if we don't fuss a bit too much over mouthpieces.
Keep in mind I'm a weekend player so it might be a whole nother thing for full time pros.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: cb56 on Jan 04, 2013, 04:06PMJust make me kind of wonder if we don't fuss a bit too much over mouthpieces.
Keep in mind I'm a weekend player so it might be a whole nother thing for full time pros.

Until 2 O'clock yesterday I'd agree.

Mailman knocked on the door (Sunday Priority Mail???) and handed me the box from The Horn Guys: my Faxx 4G that was recommended here.

Since I returned after over 30 years off I've been playing a Bach 6 1/2AL even though my last teacher had me use a Wick 5BS, which I never liked. The Bach seemed like the airflow was constricted into my Blessing B-88.

I put the Football game aside, stuck the Faxx in the horn and didn't want to put it down. It's perfect! It fits. It's free blowing. I played above F, cold.

I called The Horn Guys to order Friday afternoon and there it was in Asheville Sunday afternoon at regular Priority Mail pricing! What service!

ttf_Slidennis

Post by ttf_Slidennis »

The last trombone I'm playing with chose me...  I did not know that I was going that way all along for this trombone to become mine...  It all began by myself playing my slide with my left hand...  years ago... seated on a hay stack in a wagon...  the trombone I now play with is the one owned by the brother of the euphonium player sitting in front of me at that time, this trombone player playing left handed, its right hand being handicapped.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I read the hole tread here because the forum is a little dead these day...and its interesting. I have finished my seek for mouthpieces, but sometimes I take up the box just to check for fun. Not many left actually because I sold most of them. I do the blindtest method like Sam tell and like him my Bach 1.5g Vernon always win.

Then I begin to wonder about one thing. Is this method really fair. Because most of us play best on the gear we are used to play. Even if we try to confuse our lips with playing many mouthpieces, wouldn't the one we played for a long period sound best? I can fool my lips in a blindtest so I dont recognize which mouthpiece is which. Still I wonder if the one we are used to play, still will sound best? What do you think?

Leif

ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: savio on Nov 03, 2016, 12:28PMI read the hole tread here because the forum is a little dead these day...and its interesting. I have finished my seek for mouthpieces, but sometimes I take up the box just to check for fun. Not many left actually because I sold most of them. I do the blindtest method like Sam tell and like him my Bach 1.5g Vernon always win.

Then I begin to wonder about one thing. Is this method really fair. Because most of us play best on the gear we are used to play. Even if we try to confuse our lips with playing many mouthpieces, wouldn't the one we played for a long period sound best? I can fool my lips in a blindtest so I dont recognize which mouthpiece is which. Still I wonder if the one we are used to play, still will sound best? What do you think?

Leif

Not for me, Leif. Not often, but once in a while...years in between sometimes...one m'pce that I have been using for years comes in second to a new one. Why? My own chop changes? Simply a better fit to my own ongoing and basically unchanged embouchure? Differing musical requirements? A combination of all of those things plus others that I can't imagine. I don't know. Whatever. The fact remains...the m'pces that 'win" almost always survive for years against all challengers.

And then...eventually...things always change.

So it goes.

Good luck and happy hunting...

S.
ttf_Lou Natunze

Post by ttf_Lou Natunze »

Re: And who in their right mind chooses ANY mouthpiece?

Well, not I.

By default, most any thinking I do occurs in my Left brain Lobe.

So it is very, very rare that any decisions are made when I am "in my right mind".

In fact, I have to go through a whole lot of Rigamarole just to

Invoke many of the functions of my Right Lobe.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Lou Natunze on Yesterday at 08:04 PM

Well, not I. By default, most any thinking I do occurs in my Left brain Lobe.

So it is very, very rare that any decisions are made when I am "in my right mind".

In fact, I have to go through a whole lot of Rig-a-Roll just to Invoke the functions of my Right Lobe

Last I saw, that concept has been dis-proven. But I imagine (with my left brain) that the dis-proof will soon be dis-proven.

I can't make a decision on which mouthpiece to use, so I use them all! I love almost all of my Bachs and am constantly exploiting their gifts to me.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Lou Natunze on Yesterday at 08:04 PM

Well, not I. By default, most any thinking I do occurs in my Left brain Lobe.

In fact, I have to go through a whole lot of Rig-a-Roll just to Invoke the functions of my Right Lobe

Last I saw, that concept has been dis-proven. But I imagine (with my left brain) that the dis-proof will soon be dis-proven.

I can't make a decision on which mouthpiece to use, so I use them all! I love almost all of my Bachs and am constantly exploiting their gifts to me.

...Geezer

Return to “Mouthpieces”