Smaller large shank mouthpiece opinions

ttf_quiethorn

Post by ttf_quiethorn »

I play a Faxx 6.5AL-L on my .547 horn. I tend to stick to Bach (and therefore Faxx) mouthpieces, and the smallest they go in large shank is the 6.5 range. But apparently Yamaha and Schilke have a 47, which is the same rim size as a Bach 6.75C, and Schilke has a whole range of sizes smaller than that. I'm interested in any opinions anyone has for the Yamaha or Schilke 47 or anything smaller on a large bore horn.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There have been some players using smallish mouthpieces on large bore horns.  Generally not too many, though.

There is no law stating that you can't play a small mouthpiece on a large bore horn.  Bach makes a 12C/T which is a 12C cup on a large shank.  It's special order, but they show up on Ebay from time to time.

You will find the higher range is easier, but the sound is "fluffy" because the mouthpiece is not attuned to the horn.

I know a really terrific Euph player who was using a 12C on a Yamaha 321S.  He's looking for something larger.
ttf_quiethorn

Post by ttf_quiethorn »

The "S" on the end makes me think it's a small shank maybe? Otherwise I'd probably give it a go for that price.
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: quiethorn on Oct 01, 2017, 09:05PMThe "S" on the end makes me think it's a small shank maybe? Otherwise I'd probably give it a go for that price.

Yeah; I think "narrow trombone shaft" in the description gives it away (and more besides ...)
ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

A large shank Curry 6M is also smaller than your current mouthpiece.

If I were in your situation, I would invest (about $20) in a small shank to large shank mouthpiece adapter AKA tenor to bass trombone mouthpiece adapter.  Now there are members on this forum who consider this to be blasphemy, but I doubt if you'd notice any difference.  For a while, I played my Conn 88H with a small shank Bach 6.5AL and an adapter that came with the horn without any problem.  If you want to do an objective test, get a FAXX 6.5AL small shank, use it with an adapter, compare it to your current mouthpiece and see if you can tell the difference.

The advantage of using an adpater is you now have a plethora of smaller mouthpieces you can try.  If you find something you like and you think it makes a difference, you can special order the mouthpiece with a large shank.  If you're satisfied with the results, continue to use the adapter.  If after trying a number of mouthpieces, you decide that this is a bad idea, you're only out the cost of the adapter.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Recently someone posted about Alain Trudel signature mouthpiece from Yamaha. It sounds very similar. It has a deepish cup but a fairly small rim, maybe even smaller than 6.5.  Certainly it would be one of the smallest rims that are traditionally used by a classical player in the last several decades.

Is there any reason in particular you are seeking a piece of that size?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Didn’t Bill Pearce play a 12C with an adapter at some point?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Oct 02, 2017, 04:24PMDidn’t Bill Pearce play a 12C with an adapter at some point?

That is what is going around. But what I don't know is what, if anything, he had done to modify the mouthpiece and what, if anything, he had done to modify the horn - as in lead pipe. Maybe it was all stock and maybe he had a tech, under his guidance, align the physics of the mpc to match the horn, or vice versa. I wish I knew.

It is my understanding that not all mouthpieces align nicely with all horns and the further apart in size the mpc to the horn, the more likely there will be a mismatch.  But I really Image I just try to make a nice match by ear for my various and sundry playing.

Anyone with actual knowledge of why and how Bill Pierce put that combo together?

I didn't think so...

...Geezer
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I believe that Bill Pierce played a Bach 12 not 12C.
I played for years on a Bach 7 custom made in 1979 with a Bass shank.
It was my go to mouthpiece for years. I just switched to a Doug Elliott set-up.
I use Doug`s 98 rim which is 7-ish in size paired with an F cup and shank
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I believe that Bill Pierce played a Bach 12 not 12C.
I played for years on a Bach 7 custom made in 1979 with a Bass shank.
It was my go to mouthpiece for years. I just switched to a Doug Elliott set-up.
I use Doug`s 98 rim which is 7-ish in size paired with an F cup and shank

Return to “Mouthpieces”