Denis Wick Mouthpiece booster vs Heavytop

ttf_dsmndng

Post by ttf_dsmndng »

Out of curiosity, who has played on the same size DW mouthpiece in both the heavytop and regular+booster configurations? Any noteworthy observations or preference on which one you liked more? Sorry if I dredge up any old quarrels about heavy mouthpieces or "tone boosters."
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I bought a booster of eBay cheap, and after using it for everything I've cut it back to specific situations, like playing at high volume where you need to cut through and not much else. It firms the tone up a little but with a loss of flexibility. If you can get one at the right price it might be right in certain situations, and satisfy an urge to experiment without interfering with your embouchure. I use it with a DW 9BS and K+H Bart v Lier 480/488".
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Yes my experince is about the same as Pre59. I did use it for some time in the 80th. It does not make the sound better, but you cut through loud ensembles. You do pay for that with less flexibity. I think it makes you ability to colour your sound more difficult.
Some guys like it though, maybe some who likes will answer?
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Yes my experince is about the same as Pre59. I did use it for some time in the 80th. It does not make the sound better, but you cut through loud ensembles. You do pay for that with less flexibity. I think it makes you ability to colour your sound more difficult.
Some guys like it though, maybe some who likes will answer?

Return to “Mouthpieces”