Need advice on Greg black mpcs

ttf_Solidshi

Post by ttf_Solidshi »

Hi!I've played my Greg black 5GSD medium weight one for 2 years now…Recently,i tried a GB NY 5.25 M and found it blows more freely than my 5GSD but the rim is a little large for me… So now,I feel my 5GSD plays a little tight and bright…  So should I modify my 5GSD 's Throat or backbore,or just order a custom GB 5G with a more open (bore,backbone,throat)? Image
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Perhaps just get a NY series that had a rim you like more. Do they make a 6M?
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

The NY 5 series has the same size throat as the standard series, but with a different backbore.

Why not buy a standard 5G? It will be relatively easy to find and easy to resell if it's not right.

If the cup is too deep for you, then you'll have to contact Greg. My recommendation would be a 5GSD with a #1 backbore (I believe this is what's in the NY series), but check with him.
ttf_Solidshi

Post by ttf_Solidshi »

Just tried a GB 5G,still feel it was a little tight when I blew… so which part of the mpc should I do the custom,a more open backbone or a larger throat? And I knew GB backbore1 is smaller than standard backbone 2… but why the NY blows more open than the standard series?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The throat bore is just part of the equation. Sure, at the narrowest point they might both be .281", but I'll bet the where the cup enters into the throat on the NY, it is much more open, as well as yhrough the backbore.
ttf_Solidshi

Post by ttf_Solidshi »

So i may need a more open backbore -backbore3 ?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Get a NY5G threaded with a standard 5G rim?
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Quote from: Solidshi on Yesterday at 09:38 AMSo i may need a more open backbore -backbore3 ?

Probably not that.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Probably the entrance to the throat on the cup side. You should be able to look at both and eyeball what's different.

For example on the Griego Alessi 1C, the throat is .281", and it seems like it is narrowest right where the cup meets the throat. On the 1A, it supposedly is .295", but it looks exactly the same width as the 1C. However, the entrance to the throat where it meets the cup is bored out. Much wider there than on the 1C. I have a hunch that what you're feeling on the Greg Blacks is similar, but you'd have to look and maybe do some of your own measurements.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Probably the entrance to the throat on the cup side. You should be able to look at both and eyeball what's different.

For example on the Griego Alessi 1C, the throat is .281", and it seems like it is narrowest right where the cup meets the throat. On the 1A, it supposedly is .295", but it looks exactly the same width as the 1C. However, the entrance to the throat where it meets the cup is bored out. Much wider there than on the 1C. I have a hunch that what you're feeling on the Greg Blacks is similar, but you'd have to look and maybe do some of your own measurements.

Return to “Mouthpieces”