Schilke 58 compared to Wick 1 AL

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

So I got to be part of Doug Elliott's grand tour of the USA last week. He actually came to my house for a lesson, which I really appreciate.

As part of the lesson, I asked about improving my trigger register and he suggested that I go from my Schilke 53 to a 58 on my large bore tenor. I have a 58 that I have used for euphoniuming for a long time and have occasionally played it on trombone. It does help open up the low range, but I definitely lose focus above a high F (3rd space above the staff - not the really really high F). So I am wondering if something with a similar rim size but not quite so deep a cup would work for me. The Wick 1AL looks like it might fit the bill. I have never played a Wick mp. Can anyone tell me how it compares to the 58?
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I have played both fairly extensively and find the 1AL plays darker than the Schilke 58. If I were to use either of them on tenor it would be the 58.
ttf_fsgazda

Post by ttf_fsgazda »

You might want to see if you can try one of the Joe Alessi mouthpieces.  Either Greg Black (which are now the "New York" models, I think) or Griego.  They have rims in the range of a Shilke 57 or 58 and a tenor cup.  I was quite surprised at how tenor-ish they sound.
ttf_MaestroHound

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

For a slightly more economical alternative than the NY/Alessi series mentioned, maybe a Marcinkiewicz 3??
ttf_MaestroHound

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

For a slightly more economical alternative than the NY/Alessi series mentioned, maybe a Marcinkiewicz 3??

Return to “Mouthpieces”