Giardinelli 6d or 5d

ttf_anonymous

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm looking for a Giardinelli 6d or 5d mouthpiece to help shape my tone for jazz band I very interested in buying one but I've not been having much luck looking online. If someone has a 6d or 5d they wouldn't mind selling it for a reasonable price please contact me.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

6D is about the size of a Bach 12C or 11C and a 5D is  about a 7C
I`ve had both. The used Bachs are cheaper usually
ttf_growlerbox

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Jul 10, 2017, 04:45PM6D is about the size of a Bach 12C or 11C and a 5D is  about a 7C
I`ve had both. The used Bachs are cheaper usually

I have a 5C, which is more like a 6 3/4 size, and a very different rim and cup from a 7C (which may mean that a Giardinelli D cup is more like a Bach C-cup, of course).  Pretty different feel from a Bach, IMO.

What are you looking to change from, that presumably isn't giving you the "jazz band tone" you're looking for?
ttf_Jefe34

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_Jefe34 »

I'm currently playing with a 4g but I feel like it's too deep and it gives a too broad tone
ttf_BGuttman

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Are you using this in a large bore instrument?  If so even the "correct" mouthpiece may not solve the problem

You will need to find a small mouthpiece in large shank or use an adapter.  Or get a modular (Doug Elliott or Warburton).

Do you have a small bore instrument?  Maybe something you used for Marching Band?  Student horn?  That may help a lot.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

I believe i have a 6D.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Your profile says you have a King 4B, which I assume is what you play the 4G on, and  3B/F.  If the 4G works well for you for classical, a 5D or 6D is going to feel really tiny.  You would do well on something like what I use, a small shank mouthpiece with a rim similar to the 4G but a much shallower cup.
ttf_BGuttman

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jul 11, 2017, 08:38AMYour profile says you have a King 4B, which I assume is what you play the 4G on, and  3B/F.  If the 4G works well for you for classical, a 5D or 6D is going to feel really tiny.  You would do well on something like what I use, a small shank mouthpiece with a rim similar to the 4G but a much shallower cup.

I tend to play 4 rims and use a Bach 4C for jazz.  Similar rim to the 4G but much shallower and it's small shank (fits the 3B/F).
ttf_lou2cv

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_lou2cv »

My 6D used to feel like my 12C, with a slightly shallower cup - more edgy tone Image
ttf_Bellend

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_Bellend »

That's going to be a big shift, you'd be better looking at something with a more similar rim size.After a lot of messing around I've ended up with a Giardinell 4M cup with one of Doug's XT N 104 rims. The join point on Doug's stuff is further down than the old Giardinelli rims which makes the cup deeper overall when you mix the two together.Screws most combos up but for me the extra depth it give the 4M ( which is pretty shallow in standard guise) works a treat. Really free blowing but with 'zing'.

FWIW

BellEnd
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

I have a 4M, if you're interested.

FWIW, Giardinellis are about as consistent in diameter as avocados. 
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Giardinelli 6d or 5d

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

I have a 4M, if you're interested.

FWIW, Giardinellis are about as consistent in diameter as avocados. 

Return to “Mouthpieces”