Jazz an classical mouthpieces

ttf_robinjessome

Post by ttf_robinjessome »

Hi. I am looking for better, more mature mouthpieces. I currently play on a small shank Bach 6.5 al for jazz and classical, but I am thinking of making a change. Although the 6.5 al still gives me the bite for jazz, I am open to suggestions on getting a new one to improve my tone and overall sound. I play on a small bore King 2b in my top jazz band playing lead, and I would like to try to have a better quality tone. For classical, I play on a Bach Stradivarius small bore f attachment trombone. I feel like the small shank 6.5 al does not provide enough warmth, resonance, and it is hard to blend when it is louder and higher. I am first chair in my high school's wind ensemble and I want a small shank mouthpiece that can give a more orchestral tone for a high notes especially. Blending is a problem in classical, and I also need more warmth, which is hard to get with a small shank, but I would like suggestions for a small shank to compliment my king 2b in jazz for better quality sound and for a small shank to compliment my Bach stradivarius small bore f attachment in wind ensemble for a warmer, more open sound that blends better than my current Bach 6.5 al. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

How about a 1 1/2 G and a sledge hammer? Image Image Image

Lots of folks play the 6.5 mouthpiece for jazz and classical.  You need to learn to PLAY the 2B -- it requires less air and more finesse.  Every mouthpiece choice is some kind of compromise and the 6.5 AL is a great one to start from.

Now if you told me you were playing a bass trombone for classical and wanted that sound on the 2B I'd suggest you just forget about it.  You will never make a 2B sound like a bass trombone.  Thank heavens. Image

I found that the best thing unless your mouthpiece is REALLY getting in your way, is to practice a lot of long tones and lyrical etudes to work on your tone.  Or ask your teacher (don't have one?  tsk, tsk).  Maybe schedule a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott.  See if the 6.5 is really limiting you or you are trying to buy your way out of practicing boring exercises.
ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

Its pretty standard for high schoolers to switch to a 5g size. For most it will open up and darken their sound.  But everyone is different especially on mouthpeices.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: Njz01 on Jun 08, 2017, 09:10PMFor classical, I play on a Bach Stradivarius small bore f attachment trombone.
I assume this is a 36B or 36BO, which is actually a medium bore (.525"). The 36B is very receptive to mouthpiece changes, in terms of color, range, genres of playing. So...

Quote from: Noahharry on Jun 08, 2017, 09:41PMIts pretty standard for high schoolers to switch to a 5g size. For most it will open up and darken their sound.  But everyone is different especially on mouthpeices.
Or, of a similar size, a Schilke 51. Both are readily available new and used. But keep in mind:

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 08, 2017, 09:32PMLots of folks play the 6.5 mouthpiece for jazz and classical.  You need to learn to PLAY the 2B -- it requires less air and more finesse.  Every mouthpiece choice is some kind of compromise and the 6.5 AL is a great one to start from.
And especially important:

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 08, 2017, 09:32PMI found that the best thing unless your mouthpiece is REALLY getting in your way, is to practice a lot of long tones and lyrical etudes to work on your tone.  Or ask your teacher (don't have one?  tsk, tsk).  Maybe schedule a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott.  See if the 6.5 is really limiting you or you are trying to buy your way out of practicing boring exercises.

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 08, 2017, 09:32PMHow about a 1 1/2 G and a sledge hammer? Image Image Image

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

In my own mouthpieces, a good step up would be:
LT 101, C+, D3 for the 2B  (slightly larger rim size and a slightly shallower cup than a 6-1/2AL)
and
LT 101, G, G4 for the 36B  (approximate equivalent of a small shank 5G; a little larger and deeper than a 6-1/2AL)

ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

Doug's mouthpieces are excellent - they are what I play on.  Another option would be Curry mouthpieces.  They have models that use the same rim with varying cup depths.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I recently submitted this to Monette for production, but I'm not sure it's available yet. It will produce the tone you desire. It's going to be called the 1XL.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

What has your teacher suggested?

have a Skype lesson with Doug!
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

What has your teacher suggested?

have a Skype lesson with Doug!

Return to “Mouthpieces”