Looking for a mouthpiece that is a little bigger than a 6 1/2AL...

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to try a little bit larger mouthpiece for my dual bore (which takes a small shank mouthpiece) tenor trombone with F attachment . Right now I play a 6 1/2AL, so I'm looking for one a little larger than that one. However, I don't know where to start. Is there a Bach mouthpiece that is a little bigger than the 6 1/2AL that could work, or another brand that might work??? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Zach
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Bach 5GS is a 6.5 AL cup on a 5G rim.

Or you can go to the 5 series (5G).

Other brands?  Schilke or Yamaha (look at the 51 series)

Wick 5BS.

Those are a LITTLE larger than a 6.5 AL.

Still too small?  Bach 4 series (4C, 4), Wick 4BS, Schilke/Yamaha 52 Series.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Call Doug Elliot!

I used a 6.5 for a long time.

Before I switched to the DE stuff, I was having a lot of success with a Ferguson 1 (roughly a 5 sized piece) and a Ferguson I had special ordered with a 6.5 rim. The Ferguson mouthpieces had a great response and a lot of room in the cup.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I started playing trombone on a small shank 6.5AL (which lasted me through the start of eighth grade before I switched to a large shank Schilke 51 when I started playing a large bore with F-attachment) in sixth grade, even though most start on a 12C.  Definitely try some pieces in the 5 range like a Denis wick 5BS or Schilke 51 or if it's still too small maybe a Denis Wick 4BS, Bach 4C, Schilke 52, etc.  If all fails, get in contact with Doug to see if you can get fitted. 
ttf_Triggz

Post by ttf_Triggz »

When I "moved up" from a 6 1/2 AL on my small shank Trombones, I went to a 5G, and loved the difference instantly. That little bit of a difference made my sound even more opened (opened sound is one of my favorite things about my playing). You can get a Bach 5G for your small shank trombone online.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Are you studying with somebody? Have they made any suggestions if so?
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Just what I wanted to know.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 04:20 PMAre you studying with somebody? Have they made any suggestions if so?

I am, but haven't asked him yet about it. I probably should though but thought I would see if I might get some suggestions here first.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I've had success moving students onto a Yamaha 51 from 6-1/2AL or the equivalent. Not much more difficult to play, but tends toward a rounder, warmer tone.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Also, the the Brass Ark Clarke m'pce. Similar in many ways to a 6.5AL, but...as you request...just little bit larger.

Good design. Based on the Bach NY Clarke S m'pce...the precursor to the 6.5AL.

S.
ttf_jedrph

Post by ttf_jedrph »

Ditto on the yamaha 51. they feel slightly smaller than a bach 5g but bigger than a 6.5al. The Schilke 51's have a huge cup in comparison to a 6.5AL. To me they feel even larger than a bach 5g rim wise. you can try the Denis Wicks, but I find their flat rims are not very comfortable, especially coming off the well rounded rim of the 6.5al. Best bet is to try a few if you can. I used a bach 5 (no gs or g) with my bach 36 for years and liked it. It does have a tiny throat compared to the 5g though. Check with your teacher as well.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: jedrph on Jun 26, 2017, 06:44PMDitto on the yamaha 51. they feel slightly smaller than a bach 5g but bigger than a 6.5al. The Schilke 51's have a huge cup in comparison to a 6.5AL. To me they feel even larger than a bach 5g rim wise. you can try the Denis Wicks, but I find their flat rims are not very comfortable, especially coming off the well rounded rim of the 6.5al. Best bet is to try a few if you can. I used a bach 5 (no gs or g) with my bach 36 for years and liked it. It does have a tiny throat compared to the 5g though. Check with your teacher as well.

Just purchased a Yamaha 51 to try, will see how I like it. I have tried several Denis Wick's, but I'm not a huge fan of them. I have a 5GS that I'm trying out, but maybe I'll try a 5.

Thanks for the advice!
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: jedrph on Jun 26, 2017, 06:44PMDitto on the yamaha 51. they feel slightly smaller than a bach 5g but bigger than a 6.5al. The Schilke 51's have a huge cup in comparison to a 6.5AL. To me they feel even larger than a bach 5g rim wise. you can try the Denis Wicks, but I find their flat rims are not very comfortable, especially coming off the well rounded rim of the 6.5al. Best bet is to try a few if you can. I used a bach 5 (no gs or g) with my bach 36 for years and liked it. It does have a tiny throat compared to the 5g though. Check with your teacher as well.

Just purchased a Yamaha 51 to try, will see how I like it. I have tried several Denis Wick's, but I'm not a huge fan of them. I have a 5GS that I'm trying out, but maybe I'll try a 5.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Mouthpieces”