Info on King 12C Mouthpiece?

ttf_BoneRob

Post by ttf_BoneRob »

First let me state that I will be going to my local music store soon to try as many mouthpieces as possible. In preparation for that, however, I thought I would do a little tromboneforum research.

I recently acquired a King 3B with trigger (3B/F). It came with a Conn 3 mouthpiece, which I really like as an all-rounder. I also have a King 2B, which came with a King 12C mouthpiece, which I really like as a "lead" mouthpiece. I have tried it with the 3B/F and can get much of the same "lead" sound as I get on the 2B. As much as I love the 2B, I am probably going to sell it now that I have the 3B/F. I will probably include the King 12C mouthpiece with the sale. I have not seen King 12C mouthpieces available separately, or currently on eBay. Is it possible to buy them separately? Are the Bach, Faxx, etc. 12C mouthpieces similar, or are cup sizes radically different? Any info to help me once I start the search in earnest is much appreciated.

THANKS!

Rob
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

King mouthpieces are usually provided with King instruments.

If the King 12C is similar to other King mouthpieces that have the same designations as Bach mouthpieces, it will be just a little bigger; espcially in the throat area.

Some suggestions to look at:

Bach 11C (or even 12C).
Faxx 12C
Wick 10CS

There is a Schilke (and a Yamaha) around this size but I don't know the number.

If your store has any of these brands, try them:

Stork
Griego
Black
Warburton
Laskey
Hammond

I don't know the appropriate sizes of these; a little research (and a good comparison chart) will help.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I'm pretty sure I've got a King 12C here at home.  PM me if you're looking.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

King 12C should be the same as a Benge 12C. You can find them on ebay. I have two Benge 12C I love them so much, keeping them for emergencies.

I love them so much I bought the Wedge delrin model 12C, with the .250 throat, and brass collar. which is the same thing. Expensive, yes, but perfect.

My impression is that the larger throat on the Benge/King versions of Bach mouthpieces makes them a bit more "legit"...closer in feel and sound to a Wick 12CS, which is very legit feeling. An alternative, not really a King/Benge, might be the Wick 12CS in a very expensive Heritage model, if you have lots of money to throw away in an experiment, and go full bore nuts trying to replicate 1970s gear with 2017 clones......
ttf_CharlieB

Post by ttf_CharlieB »

The Conn 3 and the King 12C both have inner rim diameters of 0.960". The Conn has a deeper cup and larger bore, which accounts for the difference in sound. If you like the feel of both of those mouthpieces, you might want to start your search with mouthpieces of that rim diameter. In that size, there are many variations of rim shape, cup shape, and bore diameter. Some will suit your individual embouchure better than others, but it's not an exact science. You just have to try as many as you can to find the right fit. Most of the mouthpiece makers have online charts giving dimensions, including the inner rim diameters. That might be a good place to learn which ones you'd like to try. There are many .960" mouthpieces that don't carry the 12C designation.

But to answer your question directly:
Is it possible to buy them separately? Are the Bach, Faxx, etc. 12C mouthpieces similar, or are cup sizes radically different?
Yes, they can be bought separately. Every manufacturer's 12C will be different.

ttf_BoneRob

Post by ttf_BoneRob »

Great info from everyone. Planning a big mouthpiece auditioning trip tomorrow. THANKS!
ttf_BoneRob

Post by ttf_BoneRob »

Great info from everyone. Planning a big mouthpiece auditioning trip tomorrow. THANKS!

Return to “Mouthpieces”