Denis Wick , measurement accuracy .

ttf_tbarh

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Does anyone know how accurate the specs listing of the Wick pieces are ?
The listings of the rim id are very specific, compared to Bach for instance which are rather roughly .

Thanks !

Trond
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I note that the width spec for my DW 9BS has grown by 2mm on the new web site, as compared to https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf

ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Most of the DW mouthpieces I've measured have been older rather than newer. In my observation the average margin of error from the published specs is of a similar order to other manufacturers, which includes Bach. More decimal places does not equal more accuracy.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: MoominDave on May 24, 2017, 04:59AM More decimal places does not equal more accuracy.

I didn't say that it did, more to point out that DW has changed a printed specification. Which has me wondering, have they changed the spec' of of the 'piece, of have they just changed the point on the rim at which they measure the diameter?

In general, if most of the manufactures are using CNC machines properly, the variations should be minimal across the board?
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Was replying to the OP, not seeking to clarify your post...

Certainly things are much more accurate now than they were. But they don't achieve the consistency implied by the hundredth of a mm specifications. But then, having variety within a size offers potential to 'dial in' to a particular variant within that size that really suits you. Swings and roundabouts.
ttf_eightyeightH

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

And you are trying to measure a curved surface
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I have 2 3ALs, from a very long time ago and a new CNC piece. They are basically completely different mouthpieces, with different weights, lengths, rim widths, sizes, cup sizes, and throats.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

In general, the Wicks I have seen and measured from different eras are pretty consistent.  But they may have actually changed some specs, I don't know about that.

Some manufacturers products have virtually no relationship to the published specs... CNC manufactured or not.

I have seen some that are .020" or even more off at the inner rim diameter, both smaller and larger than specs.  That's a lot...  And therefore, any comparisons to "similar" size mouthpieces are completely invalid.

ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jun 04, 2017, 09:18PM 
But they may have actually changed some specs, I don't know about that.

This exactly the point I was trying convey here..

" I note that the width spec for my DW 9BS has grown by 2mm on the new web site, as compared to https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf "

ttf_tbarh

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Thanks for the replies!
Much appreciated!

Trond
ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Back in the day Wicks did vary a bit, but not that much, but these days they seem to be very consistent....... in contrast to Bachs that seem to vary a lot........
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I have seen some that are .020" or even more off at the inner rim diameter, both smaller and larger than specs.  That's a lot...  And therefore, any comparisons to "similar" size mouthpieces are completely invalid

I wonder if that's for marketing... getting people to try out a certain "size" and they get that "wow this plays (smaller/larger) than the same size from brand X" where someone may not typically be enticed to try m'pce if they knew the real specs.

Just a random thought.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I have seen some that are .020" or even more off at the inner rim diameter, both smaller and larger than specs.  That's a lot...  And therefore, any comparisons to "similar" size mouthpieces are completely invalid

I wonder if that's for marketing... getting people to try out a certain "size" and they get that "wow this plays (smaller/larger) than the same size from brand X" where someone may not typically be enticed to try m'pce if they knew the real specs.

Just a random thought.

Return to “Mouthpieces”