Mouthpiece question, just bought YSL 897Z

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello all! I just bought a YSL 897z and love it. I currently have a Bach 6 1/2 I'm using. I play the trumpet as well as the trombone, and am curious whether there are shallower/smaller mouthpieces that could be helpful in hitting higher notes. Does anyone have any recommendations?
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Something small like a 12C, 15C. Doug Elliott has every size imaginable.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Yes I do, but playing high is more a function of knowing HOW to, than using a small mouthpiece.  Depends on your physical setup.  Many or most players have better and more usable high range if the same mouthpiece allows them to play low range without shifting for it.  A small mouthpiece may seem to make high range easier but we need to sound good all over the horn, and small mouthpieces often require shifts to get a decent low range, then you end up with multiple settings and your high range is gone or unusable.  Or you become dependent on changing mouthpieces.  Some people seem to like that... I don't.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Yes I do, but playing high is more a function of knowing HOW to, than using a small mouthpiece.  Depends on your physical setup.  Many or most players have better and more usable high range if the same mouthpiece allows them to play low range without shifting for it.  A small mouthpiece may seem to make high range easier but we need to sound good all over the horn, and small mouthpieces often require shifts to get a decent low range, then you end up with multiple settings and your high range is gone or unusable.  Or you become dependent on changing mouthpieces.  Some people seem to like that... I don't.

Return to “Mouthpieces”