Greg Black Problem (not debacle)

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've recently taken a great liking to the Greg Black New York series mouthpiece after trying some of my friends' pieces. I had a 5.5 turn up, but the piece has a modified throat that makes the mouthpiece just a little too awkward for me. The piece I have is the 5.5 with a .295" throat as opposed to the standard .281" throat. I'm obviously trying to get to the standard, so would anyone be interested in this piece or have suggestions on how to make a swap of some sort happen?

<Edit: Changed title>
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Did you get it from him?
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

I wouldn't really call this a Greg Black debacle. Did you buy the mouthpiece from him or someone else? If you bought it from him directly then it would be a PG trombone debacle.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

So you call this a Greg Black Debacle... what exactly did Greg Black mess up?

Have you contacted GB?

In case you don't know what the word means: "debacle: a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco."

No offense intended, I get plenty of papers from my college students with words they very obviously don't know the definition of.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

^This.
And this is a person's professional life. Hell I know Greg well... this is his livelihood. Please don't start a topic like this unless it is well thought out.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You are right, Zac.  This isn't Greg Black's fault as much as PG buying a mouthpiece that doesn't work for him.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

If it's NOT the fault of GB, lock/delete the thread. It should be deleted right now.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm not going to close the thread.  PG Trombone needs help.  But I did change the title because it's not a Greg Black problem as much as a problem by PG Trombone with a Greg Black mouthpiece.  And I don't think it qualifies as a debacle -- doesn't seem that Greg messed up.  And if he did, PG should be able to exchange it promptly.
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Hey guys! The OP is not blaming Greg Black for anythinganything! Cool down.
He just has a mouthpiece that he wants to swap since the bore is to big for him.
For him the mouthpiece is not good, for him it is a fiasco, for somebody else it could be a success.
I don´t think he was blaming GB at all.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Put up a thread in the classifieds with title:

FT: Greg Black 5.5 (.295" throat)

and body:

"I have a Greg Black 5.5 with a .295" throat and I'd like to exchange for a 525 with a .281" throat!"

And see what happens. Its kind of an obscure trade but I've definitely beens urprised to see two people looking for unusually specific things have it work out.  Do be careful, there are a few scammers around. Not these forums fortunately, but on the facebook groups. Someone who has a reputation here is okay. If you're local to wherever you coul d also arrange for something to work too.  Or you could use paypal as an escrow service having both of you pay for a new mouthpiece and then cancel the transaction upon receiving your goods.

ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: svenlarsson on Today at 03:01 AMHey guys! The OP is not blaming Greg Black for anythinganything! Cool down.
He just has a mouthpiece that he wants to swap since the bore is to big for him.
For him the mouthpiece is not good, for him it is a fiasco, for somebody else it could be a success.
I don´t think he was blaming GB at all.

Once one reads what he wrote it is clear. However his original title, Greg Black Debacle, implied something else to all of us. I still don't like the revised title of the thread but it's not my call.
ttf_PG trombone

Post by ttf_PG trombone »

Folks, writing debacle was an error on my part in the late hours of the night, as I had meant to write dilemma. You may remove this thread, because I have been reading your replies for some time and wondering just how long you felt it necessary to rag on me for my misspoken subject heading. I think that I outlined quite clearly in the subject matter, what my dilemma was. I truly hope that my short post on a forum deep within the internet did not destroy Mr. Black's career overnight. Thank you to the few that tried to bring some positive suggestions. Thanks to the hypercritical others and especially the one, crafty enough to know how to google search the definition of "debacle" for me. I will pass on this thread, since any actual comments seem to be far and few besides complaining about the heading.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

What you say and how you say them matter.
This isn't as obscure of a place for trombone players as you imply.
Greg Black is an important part of the trombone community and people stick up for him.
You said you had a 5.5 turn up... you never said from where so some people could assume you meant from Greg.
Don't get defensive... learn.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Just now seeing this thread.... Still the wording is not great to those who scan the headlines. Yes this may not be a "high traffic" site by internet standards but 20,000-ish members on a forum dedicated to a specialized niche like trombone playing is pretty significant.

The "problem" (or debacle) is not with Greg as could easily been inferred by the post, but with the OP who purchased a piece that was not right for him.

To the OP -- Do not take this as a "flaming" but as a lesson learned. No matter at what hour you write a post, words have meaning and how you phrase something can imply a lot, justly or unjustly. In the future, please be more careful, not only for the sake of those about whom you write but for your own sake as well.

Strive to uphold the meaning behind "Meliora". (ESM, MM '88)
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: PG trombone on May 21, 2017, 07:27AMFolks, writing debacle was an error on my part in the late hours of the night, as I had meant to write dilemma. You may remove this thread, because I have been reading your replies for some time and wondering just how long you felt it necessary to rag on me for my misspoken subject heading. I think that I outlined quite clearly in the subject matter, what my dilemma was. I truly hope that my short post on a forum deep within the internet did not destroy Mr. Black's career overnight. Thank you to the few that tried to bring some positive suggestions. Thanks to the hypercritical others and especially the one, crafty enough to know how to google search the definition of "debacle" for me. I will pass on this thread, since any actual comments seem to be far and few besides complaining about the heading.
We here on The Forum appreciate your thought filled response. Especially the "short post deep in the internet did not destroy..." quote.
Hopefully Mr. Zalkind can provide some guidance when dealing with issues in the public forum.
ttf_PG trombone

Post by ttf_PG trombone »

I believe that it has been made very clear, the indiscretions which I have committed on this forum. Please feel free to continue to lecture me on what I have done wrong. I believe that once one person makes the point, it has been made. I am sorry that I made this mistake, but it is rather rude to continue to pile on like this and at that threaten to tell one of my former teachers? This has been a very crystallizing experience for how unforgiving that this forum is and what it is about. Still to this point almost nobody has commented about the subject matter of this post, but most have taken turns telling me off for what I have done wrong. Thanks.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Greg Black is a very polarizing subject here on TTF. If you had made a thread titled "Bach Mouthpiece Debacle" I can't imagine many would have batted an eye. Like Matt K said, the best way to find a swap would be to make a thread in the classifieds section. Lots of people have Greg Black mouthpieces floating around and it probably wouldn't take long to find someone to trade with.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Quote from: PG trombone on May 21, 2017, 06:31PMI believe that it has been made very clear, the indiscretions which I have committed on this forum. Please feel free to continue to lecture me on what I have done wrong. I believe that once one person makes the point, it has been made. I am sorry that I made this mistake, but it is rather rude to continue to pile on like this and at that threaten to tell one of my former teachers? This has been a very crystallizing experience for how unforgiving that this forum is and what it is about. Still to this point almost nobody has commented about the subject matter of this post, but most have taken turns telling me off for what I have done wrong. Thanks.

Please don't let this scare you away from the forum. We are mostly pretty nice, but sometimes people on the internet can't resist nitpicking.

Good luck trying to find a trade. I'm sure somebody wants it. I almost bought this mouthpiece but .295 is awfully big, as you have discovered...
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: PG trombone on May 21, 2017, 06:31PMI believe that it has been made very clear, the indiscretions which I have committed on this forum. Please feel free to continue to lecture me on what I have done wrong. I believe that once one person makes the point, it has been made. I am sorry that I made this mistake, but it is rather rude to continue to pile on like this and at that threaten to tell one of my former teachers? This has been a very crystallizing experience for how unforgiving that this forum is and what it is about. Still to this point almost nobody has commented about the subject matter of this post, but most have taken turns telling me off for what I have done wrong. Thanks.
I never threatened to tell a former teacher. Jeez relax. The Forum has lots of good to offer but you might want to develop a thicker skin and just lighten up a bit.
ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

Quote from: PG trombone on May 21, 2017, 06:31PMPlease feel free to continue to lecture me on what I have done wrong.

OK.

Change the title, please.

"Peter Gooch's Problem" or simply, "I have a problem." But really "Does anyone have a GB 5.25 with a .281" throat".

Thanks,
Mike "I've had many problems like this but corrected the titles until they were right" Lawson

ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: PG trombone on May 21, 2017, 07:27AMFolks, writing debacle was an error on my part in the late hours of the night, as I had meant to write dilemma. You may remove this thread, because I have been reading your replies for some time and wondering just how long you felt it necessary to rag on me for my misspoken subject heading. I think that I outlined quite clearly in the subject matter, what my dilemma was. I truly hope that my short post on a forum deep within the internet did not destroy Mr. Black's career overnight. Thank you to the few that tried to bring some positive suggestions. Thanks to the hypercritical others and especially the one, crafty enough to know how to google search the definition of "debacle" for me. I will pass on this thread, since any actual comments seem to be far and few besides complaining about the heading.

You are absolutely right, there was no reason what so ever to jump on you, using the word "debacle" was a misstake but a very obvious on. Most people on this forum are nice, some read and react to fast, it does actually happend pretty often, still you can have som fun reading the posts, sometimes you get some good information.  Image

We older forum members could also have a lesson. Do not jump to conclusion.
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: PG trombone on May 20, 2017, 07:03PMI've recently taken a great liking to the Greg Black New York series mouthpiece after trying some of my friends' pieces. I had a 5.5 turn up, but the piece has a modified throat that makes the mouthpiece just a little too awkward for me. The piece I have is the 5.5 with a .295" throat as opposed to the standard .281" throat. I'm obviously trying to get to the standard, so would anyone be interested in this piece or have suggestions on how to make a swap of some sort happen?

The classifieds here often have trades/swaps and that is your best opportunity, I think. Alternatively, you could just sell it and put the money towards a new piece. The turnaround would probably be quite quick.

Anyone can see that you simply mistyped at first. Some people, in life and online, just enjoy taking artificial offence at the most innocuous bland stuff. Don't worry about it.
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: PG trombone on May 20, 2017, 07:03PMI've recently taken a great liking to the Greg Black New York series mouthpiece after trying some of my friends' pieces. I had a 5.5 turn up, but the piece has a modified throat that makes the mouthpiece just a little too awkward for me. The piece I have is the 5.5 with a .295" throat as opposed to the standard .281" throat. I'm obviously trying to get to the standard, so would anyone be interested in this piece or have suggestions on how to make a swap of some sort happen?

The classifieds here often have trades/swaps and that is your best opportunity, I think. Alternatively, you could just sell it and put the money towards a new piece. The turnaround would probably be quite quick.

Anyone can see that you simply mistyped at first. Some people, in life and online, just enjoy taking artificial offence at the most innocuous bland stuff. Don't worry about it.

Return to “Mouthpieces”