No sizes 8-10???

ttf_bonenick

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I always wondered why there is no sizes between 7 and 11 on tenor trombone mouthpieces...I know there is virtually now space between 7 and 11 for another 3 sizes, just wonder why sizes were made this way.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

There are, actually. A friend of mine plays a Bach 8 (or maybe 9) on alto.
ttf_Bimmerman

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

They definitely exist, just not as common.

I have a 9 I like and sold an 8. I don't think I've ever seen a 10 in the Bach numbering system, but who knows, one might exist somewhere.
ttf_itisunknown

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_itisunknown »

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/media/bach/bachmouth.pdf

see all listed sizes at link above.  8 and 9 exists...10 doesn't
ttf_Geezerhorn

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Don't be fooled by their numbering system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are interesting in trying a new size, read the specs!!!!

...Geezer
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

the Bach 9 was my favorite mouthpiece before I got a DE.
ttf_Stewbones43

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: itisunknown on May 11, 2017, 03:39PMhttp://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/media/bach/bachmouth.pdf

see all listed sizes at link above.  8 and 9 exists...10 doesn't

There are other makers as well as Bach!

One of them-Denis Wick- makes a 10CS; very good for lead or alto.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_Matt K

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I actually have wondered the same thing myself but I don't have any idea what I'd query to see if its been talked about. I feel like I've read something about it but its been so long ago that I'd forgotten. 
ttf_itisunknown

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_itisunknown »

Yes, Stewbones, and the CL10 exists as well. Probably others. I was responding to a post above asking about the Bach numbering system...no word yet of a Bach 10.
ttf_BGuttman

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Fact is, there is so little difference between 6.5, 6.75, 7, 11, and 12 (and 8 and 9) rim sizes that "missing" numbers are pretty meaningless.  I also have a Bach 9 that came with an Olds Baritone.  Never seen a 9C, 9A, or 9E.

On the other hand, the differences between 3, 4, 5, and 6.5 are rather large.

Doug Elliott has created a series of rational rim sizes so that you can find something from ridiculously small to ridiculously large in any series.  You can couple these with different cup depths to achieve what Bach was originally thinking when he created his numbering system.

ttf_bonenick

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Actually, I was just wondering about. I never really played any bach trombone mouthpiece. I found myself at home with Wedge both on trumpet and trombone, though at times the trombone 7C feel a hair too large. I don't doubt that Dave Harrison would do a 9 or a 10 on a custom order.
ttf_heinz gries

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_heinz gries »

I think romera has a very clear numbering system. The first number is for the cup diameter, the letter is for the kind of the mouthpiece (A=alt, J=jazz, T=tenor, B=bass). The second number shows the cup deep. You can choose between two different rim contours. Cup depth and cup contour is displayed on graphics. A great website. I have ordered an alto mouthpiece which will arrived me the next few days. Hope the mouthpiece is so fine as their website Image

http://www.romerabrass.com/cat_tenor-alt-and-jazz-trombone_3.php
ttf_heinz gries

No sizes 8-10???

Post by ttf_heinz gries »

I think romera has a very clear numbering system. The first number is for the cup diameter, the letter is for the kind of the mouthpiece (A=alt, J=jazz, T=tenor, B=bass). The second number shows the cup deep. You can choose between two different rim contours. Cup depth and cup contour is displayed on graphics. A great website. I have ordered an alto mouthpiece which will arrived me the next few days. Hope the mouthpiece is so fine as their website Image

http://www.romerabrass.com/cat_tenor-alt-and-jazz-trombone_3.php

Return to “Mouthpieces”