Weird sized no-name 12c mouthpiece

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Hi all,
A few years ago, I bought a horn that came with this peculiar mouthpiece. It has no markings except "12c." The shank size is weird. It is much too small for a large bore, but yet it is too big for a small bore. It can fit into a small bore receiver, but it sticks way out, and the instrument sounds way out of tune. Any idea what this mouthpiece goes with?

Thanks,
Zach
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Could be a euro shank meant for a euphonium or baritone.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: Matt K on May 05, 2017, 11:10AMCould be a euro shank meant for a euphonium or baritone.

I've tried it in several euphoniums and it still doesn't fit.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: crazytrombonist505 on May 05, 2017, 11:13AMI've tried it in several euphoniums and it still doesn't fit.

Not many euphoniums have Euro shanks now.  You'd need to find an older Besson.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Bruce is exactly right.  Euro receivers were commonly used on baritones/euphoniums in Europe but not all euphoniums/baritones have euro receivers.  (Note euph =/= euro  Image ) You'll find contemporary euphoniums and baritones have small shank, euro shank, and large shank receivers. A common procedure is to convert the first to to the latter.  Trombones typically don't have euro shanks (I've never known of one as far as I know) but there is an older taper on some Conn 88 trombones that is close to a contemporary reciever but slightly smaller.  There's a non-zero chance your mouthpiece may be some kind of obscure 12C meant to fit in those, but I'd say the chances are it came with a Euro shank baritone of some kind.

Unfortunately, its probably not worth making it work for you given that you can get a good copy of one for around $30 by Faxx. And also there are like, a billion used 12Cs that you could probably even get for free if you really wanted another one!!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There are some Euro shank trombones, mostly made in Europe and between the World Wars.

I have a G Bass that I think takes one (it came with a small shank mouthpiece that had an adapter on it, but I've played it with small shank mouthpieces when I tried to play it).

It's really not worth trying to spend money to use a 12C mouthpiece; they are way too common to spend any money on.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Ok, so it's really not worth anything. Thanks guys! I appreciate it  Image
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Ok, so it's really not worth anything. Thanks guys! I appreciate it  Image

Return to “Mouthpieces”