Re-plating a mouthpiece

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Hello all,
I have this Schilke 59 mouthpiece that I use on my bass trombone that I really, really like. However, the plating is starting to come off around the rim. I've heard that it is bad to let the brass/lead touch your face, so I went to my local music store (Taylor's Music in West Chester) and asked how much it would be to get it re plated. They said that they would have to send it out because they didn't do it there at the store. They said it would be $100 or less.

So, my question is can I send it to some place that can re-plate it, and have it done for around $50? If so, where?

Thanks in advance,

Zach
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

I should say that I don't want it gold plated, just silver plated.

Thanks!
ttf_greenbean

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I would sent it to Stork.  $40 (as of 2 years ago)  High quality plating.
ttf_BGuttman

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For $100 you could buy another mouthpiece.

I believe Doug Elliott does his own plating.  I would get in touch with him.  Stork is another good option.

Lots of techs send to Anderson Plating.  The plating is excellent, but they only do large batches and your mouthpiece may sit and wait for a long time until they accumulate a plating load (or you may get lucky and be the one that completes the batch).

What I've done as a temporary measure is to put a thin layer of clear nail polish on the rim.  It will protect you from the brass (in case you have a brass allergy).  It won't last forever, but it's easy to replace.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Quote from: BGuttman on May 04, 2017, 12:55PMFor $100 you could buy another mouthpiece.

Exactly! I believe the Schilke 59 is like $75 new. That's why I don't want to spend $100.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I'll take a look at the various options you mentioned.

Zach
ttf_BGuttman

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Do you have something else to play while you wait for your mouthpiece to be plated?  It will take several days to a week with normal turnaround (and longer if you aren't lucky with Anderson).  It may be the better part of prudence to get a spare.  If you were closer I'd loan you mine (don't plan to sell) but maybe somebody near you has another Schilke 59 for you to use while you wait.
ttf_Matt K

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Doug has done several for me over the years. One is actually in the mail heading to me as I type this.  Quality is superb and the price is very reasonable, but I wont' give an exact figure because most of my replating has been in the context of threading. However, I will say the cost to thread + plate is still south of your $100 estimate and the threading process (done properly) is fairly time consuming.  I'd suspect a pure plate job would be closer to the $40 someone gave for stork than the $100 figure.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I believe the trick with replating is that when the piece is polished and prepared for plating it could change the shape noticeably. I've only had two mouthpieces replated and then only the rims. And the silver plating was near perfect to start with. Doug Elliott did one and before that Gold Chops did the other.

I believe silver will be much more affordable than the $100 that was quoted to you.

The cheapest option is to do nothing. My very first mouthpiece is nearly all brass on the rim and I still play it from time to time just because and I'm in the process of reshaping a rim. I've been grinding and polishing and then playing the raw brass rim all this past week and no ill reactions.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Quote from: BGuttman on May 04, 2017, 01:03PMDo you have something else to play while you wait for your mouthpiece to be plated?  It will take several days to a week with normal turnaround (and longer if you aren't lucky with Anderson).  It may be the better part of prudence to get a spare.  If you were closer I'd loan you mine (don't plan to sell) but maybe somebody near you has another Schilke 59 for you to use while you wait.

Bruce,
Thank you for your offer. However, I dont play bass trombone very much at all. Unless something unexpected comes up, it should be no problem for me to have it gone for a few weeks. I can always use my good old 1 1/2G  Image

Zach
ttf_Doug Elliott

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I can do refinish jobs for $50.  It has been $40 but plating costs have gone up again.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Doug's plating is top notch!
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Thanks for all the excellent responses! I have contacted Stork and am awaiting their response.

Zach
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Quote from: Posaunus on May 04, 2017, 04:29PMNew and shiny:

http://www.wwbw.com/Schilke-Standard-Large-Shank-Trombone-Mouthpiece-in-Silver-475216.wwbw?source=TWWR5J1BB&cntry=us&currency=usd&gclid=CLiDrc2x19MCFdq2wAodHrwHBw#

$74 including free shipping from Woodwind & Brasswind. 

That is tempting! But I got my Schilke 59 for a good price used, so putting $40 into isn't a big deal.

ttf_wgwbassbone

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Quote from: crazytrombonist505 on May 05, 2017, 10:53AMThanks for all the excellent responses! I have contacted Stork and am awaiting their response.

Zach
Just spoke with John two days ago. He's not taking new work until middle of June. His moms 100th birthday is coming up. And he's traveling to Spokane.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 05, 2017, 03:19PMJust spoke with John two days ago. He's not taking new work until middle of June. His moms 100th birthday is coming up. And he's traveling to Spokane.

Bill, thank you for telling me! I was wondering why I didn't receive a response. Now I know.

Zach
ttf_wgwbassbone

Re-plating a mouthpiece

I would just ask Doug Elliott. He quoted a good price and I'm sure he can get it done in a reasonable amount of time.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 07, 2017, 06:43AMI would just ask Doug Elliott. He quoted a good price and I'm sure he can get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

I just contacted him about it, awaiting a response.

Thanks
ttf_jbeckett

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

Gold chops dot com. Great plating and turn around within a week. $45.
ttf_bonearzt

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Maybe find a good jewelery repair shop and see if they can do it or know of a place locally.

Also check with Kanstuls.

Eric

ttf_EarlNeedham

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_EarlNeedham »

Image Image I had a jewelry shop send a mouthpiece out for replating once back in the mid '70's.  It came back with an incredible mirror finish, but didn't seem to be too durable.  I had to send it out again, and when I did, I mentioned the (lack of) durability to them, so they specified a satin finish.  Durable as granite, but looked a little strange.
ttf_EarlNeedham

Re-plating a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_EarlNeedham »

Image Image I had a jewelry shop send a mouthpiece out for replating once back in the mid '70's.  It came back with an incredible mirror finish, but didn't seem to be too durable.  I had to send it out again, and when I did, I mentioned the (lack of) durability to them, so they specified a satin finish.  Durable as granite, but looked a little strange.

Return to “Mouthpieces”