Yamaha mouthpieces

ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I've become slightly enamoured of Yamaha products recently, having acquired a nice 691 tenor and, more recently, a 671 alto. I am waiting for a Yamaha 48A alto mouthpiece to be delivered.

I was looking over the Yamaha mouthpiece catalogue and a couple of items caught my eye.

I can't think of anybody in particular who plays Yamaha tenor mouthpieces except Nils L. Maybe Trudel. Is there any sort of consensus regarding Yamaha mouthpieces?

ttf_bonenick

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_bonenick »

It is possible that  Douglas Yeo and James Morisson use yamaha mouthpieces, but I cannot prove it. James was certainly an yammie guy before signing up with Schagerl.
ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

"Tenor"

I would be surprised if Doug Yeo did not play a Doug Yeo.
ttf_bonenick

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Yeah. Right. You are probably left with Jim Morrison. I am pretty sure he has a signature yamaha trumpet mouthpiece, not so sure about what he is using on tenor, but wouldn't be surprise if it is/was a yammie.
ttf_anonymous

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'll be curious to hear how the 48A works with your 671. It was dreadful with my JP Rath alto with the worst intonation of any mouthpiece that I tried.

I've had a number of Yamaha horns over the years (YSL354, YEP201/211/321) and have been happy with all of them. They all sounded great and fit/finish were top-notch. The YSL871/used 671 will be top contenders if/when I'm ready to move on from the JP Rath.
ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

what I like about my 671 is that, so far, it plays like a small tenor. Slide positions are pretty much where you'd expect them to be  and, overall, the transition has been fairly straightforward. I'm not having any particular difficulty finding the right positions and my range is acceptable. The slide is excellent. My alto tone is coming along. Not bad for one week in.  My 48A  should arrive either today or tomorrow. I thought I should at least try what Yamaha thought would be a suitable mouthpiece for the horn. Not very expensive. ~ $45
ttf_norbie2009

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

They tend to be narrower when compared to comparable mps from other makers. That makes a difference to a player like me needing wider rims.
ttf_elmsandr

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: Ellrod on May 04, 2017, 10:04AM I've become slightly enamoured of Yamaha products recently, having acquired a nice 691 tenor and, more recently, a 671 alto. I am waiting for a Yamaha 48A alto mouthpiece to be delivered.

I was looking over the Yamaha mouthpiece catalogue and a couple of items caught my eye.

I can't think of anybody in particular who plays Yamaha tenor mouthpieces except Nils L. Maybe Trudel. Is there any sort of consensus regarding Yamaha mouthpieces?

Wasn't there a Canadian brass mpc when they were Yamaha artists?  And isn't there a Sullivan artist model? 

Much like the horns themselves, they tend to not attract much attention. I've always found their mouthpieces perfectly fine, if not what I was looking for at the time. Still have two or three of the Schilke knockoff sizes and a yeo bouncing around here somewhere.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_Burgerbob

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

As far as I can remember, I heard James Morrison used a stock 48 on trombone.

I use a 48 from time to time. I find it's a little big for my 6H,though.
ttf_trombonemetal

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

I found the 48A to be very easy to play on both altos I've owned (a shires and a Courtois). No intonation problems that I noticed. That's why I suggested it in the other thread. Your results may vary of course. That being said I play a brass ark 11C now.
ttf_Stan

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Stan »

Don't Alain Trudel and Peter Sullivan? 
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

The Yamaha 51 is a very good alternative to a 5G or Schilke 51. I have two professional friends who play it, and I recommend it as a good step larger from a 6-1/2AL size for large bore tenor.
ttf_renbaroque

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

Al Kay, too.

Most people whose names were mentioned have their signature pieces, but I do like several of their standard models, too. 47, 48, 48B (Canada only), 51, 51C4, 58, 59, and 60B are all great.
ttf_Ellrod

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I'm kind of interested in a 52. It appears to be the same size as a Schilke 51 or Bach 5G , 25.63 mm.

At about $45, one can afford to experiment a little.
ttf_musicofnote

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_musicofnote »

I started up playing bass trombone with a Yamaha 58 which allowed me to get a nice sound in low single-paddle range up to high b-flat. Then I wanted to open up my lower range down into the pedal range and went to a Yamaha 59 which worked well.

I did however move on to a Wedge 1 1/2G and then to a Wedge S59, which I play now. I have a Yamaha 60B that is also nice, but I now favor the Wedge rim system. Dr. Dave said he can install his rim system onto it, but I'm waiting on that. I also have the Doug Yeo bass bone mp that came with my Yamaha Xeno 822G and it's just plain too big. Pedals are easy as are double-paddle notes, but anything middle or high is airy.

I have a Yamaha Sullivan signature that is not bad, but is a bit too small for me - closes up in the upper register. I'm now on a Wedge 4G on tenor which is the only one, besides the Ian Bousfield 4S that doesn't funk out on high A-flat. I thought I'd try a Yamaha that had similar dimensions as a 4G, which would be the 53, but it was beyond a doubt, the WORST mouthpiece I've ever played on. Hard blowing, too much resistance little slotting.

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: Ellrod on May 04, 2017, 10:04AM I've become slightly enamoured of Yamaha products recently, having acquired a nice 691 tenor and, more recently, a 671 alto. I am waiting for a Yamaha 48A alto mouthpiece to be delivered.

It's a pretty interesting company considering the wide range products they offer, music and otherwise. As far as musical instruments, they are remarkably consistent. I have always been fond of the low brass, particularly the euphoniums and tubas. My first large bore F-attachment tenor was a YSL-643. I recently bought the silent brass system for trombone and it works well enough, so I can practice with out bothering my wife and neighbors. Sorry to digress, but they do have a lot of great products. As far as the mouthpieces go, many seem to be similar to Schilke of the same number, but a size smaller. I owned a Yamaha 58 and it very much like a Schilke 57. The 48 has many loyal fans.
ttf_john jenkins

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

I have a Peter Sullivan, which is a pretty good piece. I just don't care for the rim contour -- not my cup of tea.

I have a Yamaha 51D arriving tomorrow. From all accounts, it's only similar to the Schilke 51D in nomenclature, but not so much in dimensions (25.24mm cup with 7.11mm throat and semi-wide backbore) or playing characteristics. I recently downsized my mouthpieces and I now favor 5G-ish rims with deep cups and open throats. For now, I'm trying out some inexpensive options before I try to drop big bucks on boutique pieces. I'll try to report on my experience with the 51D once I've had some time to get used to it.

I use a Yamaha 59 for bass trombone and I LOVE it! It's the best Bach 1.5G I've ever played.  Image I've also owned a 48, 50, 52, and the Yeo in the past, and they all have been nice pieces.
ttf_john jenkins

Yamaha mouthpieces

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

I have a Peter Sullivan, which is a pretty good piece. I just don't care for the rim contour -- not my cup of tea.

I have a Yamaha 51D arriving tomorrow. From all accounts, it's only similar to the Schilke 51D in nomenclature, but not so much in dimensions (25.24mm cup with 7.11mm throat and semi-wide backbore) or playing characteristics. I recently downsized my mouthpieces and I now favor 5G-ish rims with deep cups and open throats. For now, I'm trying out some inexpensive options before I try to drop big bucks on boutique pieces. I'll try to report on my experience with the 51D once I've had some time to get used to it.

I use a Yamaha 59 for bass trombone and I LOVE it! It's the best Bach 1.5G I've ever played.  Image I've also owned a 48, 50, 52, and the Yeo in the past, and they all have been nice pieces.

Return to “Mouthpieces”