My visit with Roy Lawler

ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

-----

I got my lightweight slide from Roy last week and it is a winner! The action is superb. Onward.........

====
ttf_anonymous

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I sold my .500 Lawler last year to Alex Jeun to cover some unexpected health costs.
Now that I recovered, I ordered another .500 Lawler. Will be ready in September 2017.
I had a great experience with the first one. They are fantastic instruments!
ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Quote from: louilou on Jul 21, 2017, 05:43AMI sold my .500 Lawler last year to Alex Jeun to cover some unexpected health costs.
Now that I recovered, I ordered another .500 Lawler. Will be ready in September 2017.
Good to hear that everything's worked out for you AND Alex.  He's barely touched the Schmelzer he played for ages.  Image

As for myself, I've been using the Kanstul W6 leadpipe.  Though I used the H6 for almost 8 months, I now can't even imagine how I was able to use it for so long.
I had my 7.5 in .022 round bead, unsoldered rim flare silver-plated by Kanstul.  They did an incredible job! The effect is EXACTLY what I was looking to achieve. I haven't touched any of my other three flares since it came back. And yes, it does look great on my brushed brass stem!

This time next week, I'll have a Butler carbon fibre outer slide!  Alex has been using one for a couple of months, and hasn't looked back to the brass outer.

And here's something else I discovered -- a Yamaha 354 outer slide (brass) will fit right onto the Lawler! They're exactly the same length, but the little slide lock piece is higher. I need to unscrew the slide lock on the inner slide to get it to work, but it's an interesting contrast to the nickel.
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: louilou on Jul 21, 2017, 05:43AMI sold my .500 Lawler last year to Alex Jeun to cover some unexpected health costs.
====

That's great news! Did you order the same spec horn this time 'round?

-----
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: DaveAshley on Jul 21, 2017, 07:31AM
As for myself, I've been using the Kanstul W6 leadpipe.  Though I used the H6 for almost 8 months, I now can't even imagine how I was able to use it for so long.
------

I hear ya on that one, Dave. My Lawler really sings with the W6.

=====
ttf_anonymous

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Jul 21, 2017, 01:41PM====

That's great news! Did you order the same spec horn this time 'round?

-----
   I ordered a little different. Yellow brass stem .022 gauge. All yellow brass parts. I wanted a slightly lighter stem. Regards.
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: louilou on Jul 22, 2017, 04:03PM   I ordered a little different. Yellow brass stem .022 gauge. All yellow brass parts. I wanted a slightly lighter stem. Regards.

Roy's suggested set up?
ttf_anonymous

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Looking back at site, it is the roy's recommended setup.

I did it based on my experience with the first Lawler I had.
I really liked the yellow brass slide.
But the red brass .025 stem was a little to dark in the sound
that I was looking for. I play bright horns in general.
ttf_dembonesMA

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_dembonesMA »

Hi - I see on Roy's website he has a new "lightweight hard shell" case.

Has anyone tried this? I'm curious how protective it seems to you, and any other impressions you have. Is it as protective as his original hard case? Is it smaller?

Any info appreciated!

Cheers,
Don
ttf_sacfxdx

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_sacfxdx »

send Roy an email ([url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] ).  He's good about responding and he can answer your questions.
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

===

I just received my all brass lightweight .500/.508 dual bore slide from Roy, and an .020 8" yellow flare. I am very pleased with this set-up. My original nickel slide was first generation and had the shoulders that simulate oversleeves, making for a heavier slide. Roy's second generation slides are all lightweight. Not super lightweight, but just right as far as I am concerned.

Earlier in the year he made me a lightweight .500 brass slide to fit my Bob Williams bell section and I like it so much that I decided to get the .500/.508 dual bore for my existing Lawler red stem. My thinking was that the .508 lower tube would open things up just a tad, and I am pleased to say that I was correct. A .500/.508 is not much of a differential, not enough to make the horn sound or feel like a dual bore that has a larger differential. Just enough to give it a bit more of an open feel.

Other than my nickel neckpipe, my Lawler is now all brass in a combination of red and yellow. Lovely, just lovely. I wanted to pass this along in case any of you guys are thinking about ordering a new Lawler. A .500/.508 dual bore is worth considering. Some might say "why not get a .508"? Well, leadpipe selection is a big thing to me, and there are a lot of leadpipe choices in .500 bore size, not so much in .508. Plus, having a .500 upper makes the horn feel like a .500 which is what I am used to for 99% of my playing.

That is all..........for now.......

----

ttf_dj kennedy

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageQuote from: The Sheriff on Nov 01, 2017, 09:39AM===

I just received my all brass lightweight .500/.508 dual bore slide from Roy, and an .020 8" yellow flare. I am very pleased with this set-up. My original nickel slide was first generation and had the shoulders that simulate oversleeves, making for a heavier slide. Roy's second generation slides are all lightweight. Not super lightweight, but just right as far as I am concerned.

Earlier in the year he made me a lightweight .500 brass slide to fit my Bob Williams bell section and I like it so much that I decided to get the .500/.508 dual bore for my existing Lawler red stem. My thinking was that the .508 lower tube would open things up just a tad, and I am pleased to say that I was correct. A .500/.508 is not much of a differential, not enough to make the horn sound or feel like a dual bore that has a larger differential. Just enough to give it a bit more of an open feel.

Other than my nickel neckpipe, my Lawler is now all brass in a combination of red and yellow. Lovely, just lovely. I wanted to pass this along in case any of you guys are thinking about ordering a new Lawler. A .500/.508 dual bore is worth considering. Some might say "why not get a .508"? Well, leadpipe selection is a big thing to me, and there are a lot of leadpipe choices in .500 bore size, not so much in .508. Plus, having a .500 upper makes the horn feel like a .500 which is what I am used to for 99% of my playing.

That is all..........for now.......

----

ttf_DaCapo

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaCapo »

I just figured that Roy decided to turn away from making cases that were almost identical to modern day assault rifle cases. Glad I got mine Image

Quote from: dembonesMA
 Image Image :trebleclef:link=topic=88843.msg1209236#msg1209236 date=1503330581Hi - I see on Roy's website he has a new "lightweight hard shell" case.

Has anyone tried this? I'm curious how protective it seems to you, and any other impressions you have. Is it as protective as his original hard case? Is it smaller?

Any info appreciated!

Cheers,
Don

ttf_DaveAshley

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Word on the street is that Roy will soon (if not already) offer Butler Carbon Fiber outer slides as an option.  As mentioned before, I have one for my Lawler .500.
I'm actually using an Earl Williams Model 4 right now on my ship gig (wanted to try a size smaller for my dance band gig), but I miss the Lawler.  Wish I could have them both out here!
ttf_dj kennedy

My visit with Roy Lawler

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

merry   freezing   your  buttski  off     !!!!!!!!!
  clemintine   is  trying to get  another  williams  THEN  a lawler  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: DaveAshley on Dec 04, 2017, 02:53PMWord on the street is that Roy will soon (if not already) offer Butler Carbon Fiber outer slides as an option.  As mentioned before, I have one for my Lawler .500.
I'm actually using an Earl Williams Model 4 right now on my ship gig (wanted to try a size smaller for my dance band gig), but I miss the Lawler.  Wish I could have them both out here!

ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

Quote from: DaveAshley on Dec 04, 2017, 02:53PMWord on the street is that Roy will soon (if not already) offer Butler Carbon Fiber outer slides as an option.  As mentioned before, I have one for my Lawler .500.
=====

Yup, he's gonna be sending me both the Butler outer and his new ultra lightweight .525 brass slide for me to try out. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I receive them and I'll do a full report then. Plus, he'll be sending me a very special secret weapon of which I will reveal at a later date.

-------
ttf_The Sheriff

My visit with Roy Lawler

=====

Yup, he's gonna be sending me both the Butler outer and his new ultra lightweight .525 brass slide for me to try out. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I receive them and I'll do a full report then. Plus, he'll be sending me a very special secret weapon of which I will reveal at a later date.

-------

Return to “Instruments”