Bass Trombones: Yamaha YBL-613 vs. Benge Symphonic 290

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm a returning bass trombone player looking to purchase a bass trombone.
I found two potentiel horns in my area within the same price range - a Yamaha YBL-613 and a Benge Symphonic 290
Both instruments are supposed to be in very good condition.
I will be playing it in a big band.
I will not be able to test them against each other.
Which one would be the best buy?

ttf_Stan

Post by ttf_Stan »

All things being equal, I’d try and talk down the price on the Benge, since it’s an older discontinued model. The Gb/G combined valve is handy.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I personally don't like the big bell on the Benge. The Yamaha will probably be easier to play. Might depend on which 613 variant you're talking about, 613r, h, g...
ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

If you are a returning bass trombonist...
Are you used to a Dependent or Independent set up?

The Yamaha is a Dependent horn and the Benge is an Indi.

Yes, the Benge has a larger bell - but only by a little.

Benge horns tend to get a bad rep - not sure why.

If you are using the horn mainly for jazz - i would prefer the Benge! The variations on the independent setup of valves will lend itself to navigating tricky technical passages you may see.

The Yammie is a good horn Image

Looking forward to reading more on this thread :o)

Sam
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: bassboneman on Feb 01, 2018, 06:04AMThe Yamaha is a Dependent horn and the Benge is an Indi.The YBL-613 is an indy.

They're both good "general purpose" bass trombones; I think the the YBL-613 lends itself little more easily to a commercial sound, while the Benge lends itself a bit more readily to a symphonic sound, but those are only slight tendencies. Either one would be comfortable in a broad spectrum of playing situations.

If the horns are local to you, play 'em and buy the one you like the best. If you're not able to try them out, I'd say go with the Yammy.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

My personel bass is a Benge 290. Great horn! As stated above, Benge trombone tend to be underrated, but the 290 I have is very nice imo. I can’t compare it to the 613 because I haven’t played one of those. I’d try both, and buy the one that suits you best.

Good luck!
ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Quote from: JohnL on Feb 01, 2018, 08:17AMThe YBL-613 is an indy.

oops! my bad! I was thinking 611 - which is a dependent horn
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

Try to find out the model number of the Yamaha. If it has a ten inch bell it's a YBL 613G, if it has a 9 1/2 inch bell it's a 613H. Both are very good but the 9 1/2 inch bell is the later design, and it plays somewhat more Bach like, good all around, and works well in orchestra. The 10 inch bell has more splash in the sound, and may be better when a lighter sound is wanted for commercial work. At any rate these are only tendencies, as both are good horns. I like them better than the Benge which is very large in the tuning slide-bell area. The Benge does some things well but overall I consider it less well balanced than the Yamahas.

ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

Try to find out the model number of the Yamaha. If it has a ten inch bell it's a YBL 613G, if it has a 9 1/2 inch bell it's a 613H. Both are very good but the 9 1/2 inch bell is the later design, and it plays somewhat more Bach like, good all around, and works well in orchestra. The 10 inch bell has more splash in the sound, and may be better when a lighter sound is wanted for commercial work. At any rate these are only tendencies, as both are good horns. I like them better than the Benge which is very large in the tuning slide-bell area. The Benge does some things well but overall I consider it less well balanced than the Yamahas.

Return to “Instruments”