Olds Super Silver "Hawaiian"

ttf_Hammer

Post by ttf_Hammer »

Hello! I got a question, especially for Olds aficionados. I hope Euphanasia, Brer Cottonmouth, Mr. Zoot Suit, and tsmart see this.

So after being deep in the Olds world for a while, I only recently found out about Olds Supers that are entirely silver, including the tone band. It looks like these were nicknamed the Hawaiian model, and apparently are pretty rare. There's not much information online about this model, but I did find a few old threads on here that had some great pictures. And instead of reviving an old thread, I thought it was time to make a new one.

So, question time. What do these Hawaiian models sound and feel like? And what do they compare to a regular Super? Anybody have any feedback they'd like to share?

The only Super experience I have is with my great Super, that says it's an LA model, but was made in 1959. So either it was made in Fullerton with leftover LA parts after the move, or it really is an LA model and the serial number list is off a little bit (I know serial numbers are not an exact science).
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I don't consider myself an expert by any means on Olds horns or history, but comparing just one of those silver Supers to the several Supers I tried ( LA, Fullerton, mint, not so mint, friction fit, different bell/slide combos ) until settling on the one I own now I would say they ( or it ) felt just like a really good Super. I don't recall anything else besides that. I equated the biggest difference besides manufacturing inconsistencies to be the fact that it was silver plated instead of lacquered. A silver plated Ambassador was also my favorite Ambassador until I happened upon the one I own now, which happens to not have much lacquer on it...
ttf_Hammer

Post by ttf_Hammer »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Feb 01, 2018, 10:28AMI don't consider myself an expert by any means on Olds horns or history, but comparing just one of those silver Supers to the several Supers I tried ( LA, Fullerton, mint, not so mint, friction fit, different bell/slide combos ) until settling on the one I own now I would say they ( or it ) felt just like a really good Super. I don't recall anything else besides that. I equated the biggest difference besides manufacturing inconsistencies to be the fact that it was silver plated instead of lacquered. A silver plated Ambassador was also my favorite Ambassador until I happened upon the one I own now, which happens to not have much lacquer on it...

Thank you for the input. The one silver Super I found for sale (possibly) is in Portugal, and since these are hard to come by, any feedback is appreciated.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

To the best of my knowledge, the "Hawaiian" name first surfaced with this thread on the forum:
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,47678.0.html

I've never run across any reference to it in official Olds literature.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I know--small-stakes argument. Still, I agree with JohnL. The "Hawaiian" label has never been verified with any information from Olds, and seems to have originated with one Forum member's recollection. Olds didn't have a different name for a silver-plated Special or a silver-plated Standard, so why would there be a different name for a silver-plated Super? Calling it a "Hawaiian" is kind of like calling all blue '65 Mustangs "Uncle Isaac's car."

As to the sound and feel, it's a Super with a thin layer of silver on it. It's going to sound like a Super.

The rarity is easily explained. Compare it to a Getzen Super Deluxe. I've owned both nickel- and silver-plated Super Deluxes, and I rarely see other examples of this option, but who would want to plate a horn that has such interesting and dramatic contrasts in the colors of the metal? The Super is the same. Why mask the contrast between the tone band and the bell? Yes, the satin to shiny is interesting, but I doubt that many would have paid extra for that option unless they were in a group that required silver horns.

I did own a Super that was noteworthy. It had a gold tone band and a bell metal that had only the slightest tinge of pink in it. It was still technically bronze, but appeared to have a higher percentage of nickel.

It was the fourth professional trombone I ever owned, and I had never owned another Super to compare it to. I can't tell you whether it played "different" but I do know that it played well.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I know--small-stakes argument. Still, I agree with JohnL. The "Hawaiian" label has never been verified with any information from Olds, and seems to have originated with one Forum member's recollection. Olds didn't have a different name for a silver-plated Special or a silver-plated Standard, so why would there be a different name for a silver-plated Super? Calling it a "Hawaiian" is kind of like calling all blue '65 Mustangs "Uncle Isaac's car."

As to the sound and feel, it's a Super with a thin layer of silver on it. It's going to sound like a Super.

The rarity is easily explained. Compare it to a Getzen Super Deluxe. I've owned both nickel- and silver-plated Super Deluxes, and I rarely see other examples of this option, but who would want to plate a horn that has such interesting and dramatic contrasts in the colors of the metal? The Super is the same. Why mask the contrast between the tone band and the bell? Yes, the satin to shiny is interesting, but I doubt that many would have paid extra for that option unless they were in a group that required silver horns.

I did own a Super that was noteworthy. It had a gold tone band and a bell metal that had only the slightest tinge of pink in it. It was still technically bronze, but appeared to have a higher percentage of nickel.

It was the fourth professional trombone I ever owned, and I had never owned another Super to compare it to. I can't tell you whether it played "different" but I do know that it played well.

Return to “Instruments”