Frankenhorn - Chinese bell paired with decent slide?

ttf_RickHouTX

Post by ttf_RickHouTX »

Just curious if any Frankenhorn enthusiasts have tried a using a known "good" slide from a respectable bone with a cheap Chinese bell and if so, how would you characterize the results? 
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I actually did this with a Jupiter 636 awhile ago. Not my cup of tea but that bell section was also not so great to begin with.  You get two advantages, the first of which is having a well playing slide and the second that many of them have interchangeable leadpipes.  The popular thing to do with these Chinese horns is pop in a good leadpipe. (Especially on that Jin Bao alto).  But you really have to start with a good bell section. If you don't have that you probably won't ultimately like the results.

I will say that I have a Wessex alto (the 525/547 version) that I've been very happy with.  If I were going Chinese, I think I can safely recommend them as I've not heard much to the contrary. (The idea being that many of the imported horns are hit-or-miss).  You might be surprised to find that it works for you as-is or with little in the way of modifications.
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

My small bore these days is a shires 500 LW Nickel slide with a 7.5” 77H bell. This is an “intermediate” level bell, but WOW.  Love the combo. Originally I have the tenon swapped out to fit my 6H bell, and it made for a zippier more open 6H. I found the 77H bell a better fit for lead work.  It’s kind of a king-sounding conn if that makes sense.  Blends much better with trumpets.

Anyway, it really works. Non-pro level stuff can be fantastic.  I’ve been playing with a 2B+ and it’s very similar to this setup.  The blow is a little different, but both have a nice lead sound.

Obviously, a lot will depend on the quality of the bell.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Before I got a real bass I played a Mack Brass bell/valve section with my 547 edwards slide. Worked pretty well. The slide that came with that Mack Brass bass was heinous. Terrible action and super stuffy.
ttf_trombonehawaii

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

Quote from: trombonemetal on Jan 14, 2018, 01:40PMBefore I got a real bass I played a Mack Brass bell/valve section with my 547 edwards slide. Worked pretty well. The slide that came with that Mack Brass bass was heinous. Terrible action and super stuffy.

Same but with an Edwards bass slide.
ttf_trombonehawaii

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

Quote from: trombonemetal on Jan 14, 2018, 01:40PMBefore I got a real bass I played a Mack Brass bell/valve section with my 547 edwards slide. Worked pretty well. The slide that came with that Mack Brass bass was heinous. Terrible action and super stuffy.

Same but with an Edwards bass slide.

Return to “Instruments”